The big dilemma: Buy new players or top up your diminished current ones

• This is the big dilemma.

One player I'm failing on has moved to a non PB league but plays Champions League football, he's young and currently is involved in his nations U21 national side.

I currently own 385 shares in him, suffering a hefty loss but can buy 100 more shares in him for the measly price of £25. Arguably he can't get much lower if I can grab him at that kind of price.

• @NewUser67492 depends who it is mate?

• @NewUser67492 said in The big dilemma: Buy new players or top up your diminished current ones:

This is the big dilemma.

One player I'm failing on has moved to a non PB league but plays Champions League football, he's young and currently is involved in his nations U21 national side.

I currently own 385 shares in him, suffering a hefty loss but can buy 100 more shares in him for the measly price of £25. Arguably he can't get much lower if I can grab him at that kind of price.

Can I guess the player... Vinagre?!

• This probably doesn't help your dilemma with this particular player, but I think a balance between those two strategies is the way to go.

When the new divs structure and Order Books approach was announced by FI, it became obvious that PB players were the way to go - I used to primarily trade for cap app. It's also currently a buyers market and an ideal chance to deposit, so I took a step back to review my holds. I did a break down of the divs earnings of each player and drew up a list of players to sell from that research.

I then topped each of those players up to my self-imposed maximum holding using the matching engine bid system to get the lowest possible price and give myself as much wiggle room as possible to exit. So far, I've managed to successfully exit 6/16 of these players for between 1%-5% profit (i.e. getting my money back and a few pennies). It's been a hard slog as these players would be considered 'undesirable' in the current market but everyone will occasionally peak due to good performances. Without topping up at a lower ME price I could not have done that.

Equally, I bought holdings in some of the bigger PB hitters (Kane, De Bruyne, Gnabry, Dybala etc) recently in the knowledge that over a three year they'll recoup a decent chunk in dividends. If you buy new, be sure to buy players who are PB focussed. Outside of the obvious names, I always look for guys with a base PB score of 90+ who are regular starters for both club and country.

• @NewUser67492

Imo it depends on a couple of factors.

1. Do you have faith in FI.
    2. Do you have faith in the player i.e. will he bounce back and make it short to ling term.

Personally, i am in a similar situation and i have faith in FI and the player, hence i have been topping up.

Ones that I've topped up are Suat Serdar, Amine Harit, Aurier, Bennacer, Douglas Costa and a few others.

I'm quietly confident that at some point this season I will be rewarded. Especially with the dividend return.. all it requires is one top top performance and with the players mentioned cost price return is amazing : )

I.e. i held 550 Yazici and he returned around 150+ quid alread . . Im hoping Bennacer is next .. quality quality player.

• @NewUser346198

bang on!

• @NewUser67492 said in The big dilemma: Buy new players or top up your diminished current ones:

@NewUser346198

bang on!

Haha!

Well although I don't hold currently, i'm tempted at his current price so in answer to your question, I would top up!

• Add in the third option of wait and see if it drops further. This is assuming leaving FI is not even considered which it isn't for me.

I'm a bit torn, got a small cash balance and considering even putting some more money in to mop up the bargains. I've regretted not doing it all the other times the market dipped, surely it will recover at some point I tell myself.

But when you're in that moment, it is very easy to second guess yourself.

• @NewUser346198

I've placed a bid for 50 shares, I can't see him dropping any further...pennies

• @howsthebacon

There will be vultures who pulled out money who will lump on once the time is right. The best time to buy is now. The Index ain't going anywhere.

• @NewUser67492 I do feel it is bottoming out a bit, but here might be another dip over international break, but hopefully there's been some solid comms between now and then.

• I currently hold 672 isak at 1.99, in the current market I wouldn't be topping up even though I like him, thegame at the moment is about liquidity and its fairly dry at the moment.
    If you want to buy and sell i would buy for 0-300 shares in any player and no more.

• just buy who you think you will make most money on.

probably not the guy who is losing you money, just to lower your average buy and see a port value change in your favour

• @NewUser67492 ... me too 250 of them, hang on is my advice.
    Think he’s only on loan to Olympiacos to get experience. Still young and hasn’t become a bad player overnight.