diversifying paying off

• i made a decision to be very ( maybe overly) diverse when joining the index in late january. One advantage it has is to keep up my enthusiasm as someone is always giving me a chance with dividends. ive just enjoyed my most successful period with 29 positional or media wins since october 17th. so thanks to :

kmmitch x4
    messi x2
    kane x2
    jota x2
    skov
    lee melous
    plea
    aguerd
    neves
    barrow
    sancho
    trent
    pellegrini
    arnold
    neymar
    akanji
    bounou
    mcneil
    parejo
    fernandes
    bruno
    mbappe
    muller

plus the nice little bonus of TOTM

• @jonathan-rolfe

Thursday's EL produced my best ever single day dividend haul with a Full house; Having Kane top MB, Pau Lopez @46p for 3p & held Zivkovic (9months+) @40p returning 70% ROI, Skov (18months+) @36p returning 40%, & Bruno Peres bought cheap @15p, over last few weeks returning his full 100% cost price in single game.

This just highlights what FANTASTIC dividend yields are available for those willing to be patient & buy/hold lower end players, the flip side of this current market is ironically not a single upwards price movement for any of them as a result. They will return approx 0.5% of my portfolio value just in PB/MB matchday dividends (has fallen 4% just in the last week however) but I'm even unlikely to be able to economically recycle them for IPD's due to lack of liquidity .

So although the current market is extremely challenging in many ways it can also be rewarding & there is a good, yield based reason to hold on in anticipation of better things to come when FI finally deliver on the roadmap. We now need more delivery & less promises to help restore market confidence

• i appreciate the post. i was wondering if anyone held the paok lad, now i have my answer. well done with the wins! i think as you say buying value pb players is the way. its allowing me to get regular small wins. ofcourse the liquidity and problems with selling are the issues we face but im determined to stay for the long haul and just adjust to what we have in front of us

• @Geronimo159387 I missed the full time scores, you're saying Lopez and Skov won some pb??? 😛🤑 I look forward to 9am!

Gutted Lopez has been dropped, but atleast he's a EL threat for gk pb, plus the multiplier will give him shots at totm I guess, but along with the champs lg keepers, slim chances. Think the new number 1 at rona is quite old? So hopefully Lopez can push him out soon.

Skov I've held and topped up for ages, a purely data driven buy.

• @jonathan-rolfe said in diversifying paying off:

i appreciate the post. i was wondering if anyone held the paok lad, now i have my answer. well done with the wins! i think as you say buying value pb players is the way. its allowing me to get regular small wins. ofcourse the liquidity and problems with selling are the issues we face but im determined to stay for the long haul and just adjust to what we have in front of us

He was bought whilst having a difficult time in Portugal, on the anticipation of moving to a better PB league in the Jan 2020 window which didn't happen but then CV has disrupted the market ever since. With the exception of Skov, my longest more successful hold, the other 4 could have been bought at or below my cost price over the last few days/weeks, so although my patience has been rewarded these returns are available here & now not just on these players but hundreds of similar types.

EDIT: Looks like Zivkovic got OPTA'd at some point between last night & this mornings payouts in favour of Yaziki - oh dear!!!

• @Westy

Whats ur avg purchase because he was upto £2 if i rmmbr right

• @Westy

Pau Lopez got 210 PB iirc & was well clear, Skov had 2 assists & came under late pressure from Bacca (2g & 1A) in the delayed KO but held on comfortably.

• Yep last night was a good night fer me too, x1000 zivkovic & +200 each of Kane and skov, I also hold kimmich, notice no t in there (kimmitch) notice people throwing one in for fun a bit recently but every time I read it I twitch so can we please stop lolF12BC303-6791-4487-BD6B-B22E577B61A6.png

• @Geronimo159387 Good work. I held Peres for a while but he was out of the team and has recently been on loan in Brazil so felt too risky to keep. Definitely sold up at the wrong time!

I find the approach difficult as imagine you'd need well over 100 players to win divs regularly (a lot to monitor for injuries, game time, manager fallout, PB scores etc) and if one leaves a PB league they could be almost worthless (Philipp Max a good example) You'd need to do your research and even then there's no guarantee a player will keep their place in the team too or play 90mins.

I guess in the example of Peres he's dirt cheap but without a PB win you're basically risking writing off that money if he went back to Brazil and stayed there.

Marcos Alonso and Rudiger at Chelsea are two good examples of decent holds a year ago who picked up divs who you'd now question where they will end up next and if they'll get 90mins or be squad players.

Maybe FI could introduce "player insurance" where you pay an optional extra 2% and you can sell for the middle of the price you paid and sellable price, if he drops to below 80% of your buy price, for example?

• @Dave-B i like the idea of player insurance.
    i spend a stupidly huge amount of time on the index and have definately gone over the top on player number (266) partly based on some advise i got via index trak. i regret going for cap app players early on but maybe they will catch up some time. i like players in the 60p to £2 range who have average pb of 100 plus and evidence that they can get pb of 0ver 200 on their best days. these are on top of some of the more expensive higher pb players. if i could rebuild my port i would ( probably like most) but can never see a day when i would have less than 50-100 players.
    downside ofcourse is that returns are small but regular. Essentially i approach my port as if it were a low risk stockmarket portfolio. That way i cut down the gambling aspect leaving my belief in the future of Fi as the only true gamble. i have been burnt by having the likes of zaniolo vinagre and max but percentage wise they are such small losses

• Last night was one of my best returns in terms of dividends.

I have to say watching the match day scores during the last 5 mins for forwards was nerve-wracking as I thought Skov wouldn't make it and then hold on. Finally I relaxed only to find out Villareal were running an hour behind and Bacca was closing in fast - thankfully he got subbed.

Skov has now got a ROI of 26% for me and if I did sell instant sell i'd be about 6p profit up on average. (not that I will do, just hope he get's re-classified as a Def/Mid)

Also picked up dividends for Kane, Dabbur and Maignon.

It's pleasing as i've had to adapt over the last few months, whereas previous I was solely focused on growth and put dividends second, i've tried to adapt and change my portfolio as much as possible to earn dividends to cover the £400 or so i've had wiped off my portfolio over the last few months.

Last nights dividend haul takes me to an overall 14% return on investment (£424 on £3,088) - staying positive knowing that things will turn around in the next few months so all dividends are being re-invested.

• @Wolvesfan1980 we in a very similar situation . i joined in jan and was all about cap app. i had to readjust fast after the doubling of dividends and it became clear the game had changed. my port size is almost exactly the same as yours. doing s worse for returns. Running about 10% but hoping for a good year

• @Dave-B said in diversifying paying off:

@Geronimo159387 Good work. I held Peres for a while but he was out of the team and has recently been on loan in Brazil so felt too risky to keep. Definitely sold up at the wrong time!

I find the approach difficult as imagine you'd need well over 100 players to win divs regularly (a lot to monitor for injuries, game time, manager fallout, PB scores etc) and if one leaves a PB league they could be almost worthless (Philipp Max a good example) You'd need to do your research and even then there's no guarantee a player will keep their place in the team too or play 90mins.

I guess in the example of Peres he's dirt cheap but without a PB win you're basically risking writing off that money if he went back to Brazil and stayed there.

Marcos Alonso and Rudiger at Chelsea are two good examples of decent holds a year ago who picked up divs who you'd now question where they will end up next and if they'll get 90mins or be squad players.

Maybe FI could introduce "player insurance" where you pay an optional extra 2% and you can sell for the middle of the price you paid and sellable price, if he drops to below 80% of your buy price, for example?

Yes I have a wide & diverse portfolio, as that best suits my risk attitude, & for everyone that fails if I can have more winners & successful trades then I'm comfortable with that. Funnily enough I'm deep into both Alonso & Rudiger but am confident that they will either produce dividends or exit points (perhaps on a loan or move) or both over the next couple of years, as both are too good just to rot in the reserves at Chelsea.

Whilst insurance is an interesting proposal I think just delivering the current pipeline is proving difficult enough to achieve so it maybe some time away.

• @Geronimo159387 i bet you're not stupid enough to have 266 players. i feel like i should have kept pigeons instead.

• @jonathan-rolfe said in diversifying paying off:

@Geronimo159387 i bet you're not stupid enough to have 266 players. i feel like i should have kept pigeons instead.

Actually have 750+ but only 300+ in meaningful quantities, always keep a single share in any sales to monitor their progress & account for dividends etc or buy a single share to act as a watchlist (as the official one never worked properly). I generally have a quarterly portfolio review & clean up, selling off as much deadwood as possible, but clearly this has not been possible/easy over the last year so players have just accumulated.

• @Geronimo159387 jeeze i wasnt expecting that. yeah i have a lot of single shares for the same reason. im not sure if i could deal with that many as its so much monitoring but i like it nonetheless. theres probably about 300 odd players that i would be happy to own at their current prices but finding new ones every day

• @Geronimo159387 Good to see others are well diversified. I currently have 413 players with just over 28,000 shares spread across them.

The crash hasn't hurt me too bad due to being well-diversified plus its a super way of bringing in daily dividends

• @Falcon 1.79 at the moment, quite a bit down on him overall. Mainly bought last season where I liked his stats and thought he could be a star for Denmark in Euros, carried on holding and topping up as Hoff got in Europe and he could still be a main man for Denmark. Last season opta put him as a LB for a while, you never know they may repeat that randomly...