England World Cup Squad

• Named on Wednesday

-Who do you think the shocks will be? Any 'standby' players to keep an eye on in case of injury? This is where the best value will be before the announcement i'd imagine.
    -Predicted 1st XI?

For me

• No massive shocks, but I think we'll see some of GS's youngsters, and other whippersnappers, in the mix. Loftus-Cheek, Mawson, TAA, Sessegnon for the squad, and Maddison, Mount and Sancho for standby potential (Wilshere will be named and then get injured again in 3 hours). Many of them have had a recent rise, but is that for other reasons or are people pricing in expected call ups?

-Kind of outside of FI, but also has relevance. My XI would currently be...
    Heaton
    Walker, Stones, Keane, Rose
    Dier, Alli, Delph
    Sterling, Rashford
    Kane

• Heaton ??????

Burnleys number 2

• I don't think Mount, Sancho or Maddison will be anywhere near the squad (isn't Madison injured - just not as seriously as first thought?)

TAA had a great season but do we need him, Walker and Trippier?

Heaton hasn't played most of the season so don't think he'll even be on the plane (Pope, Butland and Pickford should go but he'll probably take Hart instead of Pope)

Keane has been rubbish too so don't even think he'll get on the plane. Maguire won Leicester player of the season.

Don't think we'll see many surprises in the squad on fairness, Shelvey could potentially sneak in.

I reckon:

Pickford
    Walker Maguire Mawson (3 CBs)
    Trippier Rose (WB)
    Hendo Dier (DM)
    Alli (AM)
    Sterling Kane Rashford (FWD)

• I can see Solanke going as an option as I'm not sure who, other than Kane and Vardy, really qualifies as an out and out striker and I think Southgate is much more inclined to look at youth over a Defoe or Sturridge type.

Not so sure about Mount. He has obviously had a very strong end of season but that's in Holland, a more likely wildcard in my eyes could be Lookman, who seems to be doing well in the Bundesliga for Leipzig.

• @AdamG said in England World Cup Squad:

I don't think Mount, Sancho or Maddison will be anywhere near the squad (isn't Madison injured - just not as seriously as first thought?)

TAA had a great season but do we need him, Walker and Trippier?

Heaton hasn't played most of the season so don't think he'll even be on the plane (Pope, Butland and Pickford should go but he'll probably take Hart instead of Pope)

Keane has been rubbish too so don't even think he'll get on the plane. Maguire won Leicester player of the season.

Don't think we'll see many surprises in the squad on fairness, Shelvey could potentially sneak in.

I reckon:

Pickford
    Walker Maguire Mawson (3 CBs)
    Trippier Rose (WB)
    Hendo Dier (DM)
    Alli (AM)
    Sterling Kane Rashford (FWD)

I like the look of that team.... I just hope nobody spots we have twelve players on the pitch.

• @AdamG I really hope he doesn't fuck around with putting Walker at CB again. What a disaster that would be.

• @Yellow oh balls, there actually is 😂 I still stand by it!

• @MrFrenchTickler me too but he makes up for Maguire's lack of pace and Trippier delivers a better ball IMO

• Pickford
    Trent/Maguire/stones/young
    Dier/Wilshire
    Ali
    Sterling/Kane/Rashford

• massive potential with Harry Maguire....I am hoping he will be one of our stand out players if he continues the progression he has shown this season with LCFC... really hope he stays with us for next season as I think he will be having a monster of a world cup.....

• Outside chance for Lallana if he gets game time this weekend and champs league final?

I know it's a big "if".........

• I really hope Southgate has the courage to make some big calls.

OUTS
    Joe Hart - should be nowhere near the squad.
    Lallana - Rate the player but hasn't played enough this season
    Wilshere - Can't rely on him, will struggle to play several games in a short space of time - too injury prone.

Up for debate.
    I don't think the likes of Smalling, Jones and Cahill are up to task. They are either not good enough at international level or have struggled to make impact at their respective clubs this season.

I've looked at the attacking players to take and I reckon it's either Welbeck or Sancho who might get that last place. I'd personally go for Sancho.

It's probably the first time in years there isn't a definitive starting XI. Normally you can be sure of 8/9 starters with three or four players fighting for the last couple of places. Wide open this year. I think it's a mixture of the tried and tested not being good enough from previous years and players from your middle of the road clubs pushing after decent seasons. I'd like to see a couple of wild cards in midfield and attack. I'm not a fan of Henderson - never have been and never will. I also believe it's Kane or Rashford through the middle. I wouldn't waste Rashford down the wing.

My XI (I know it won't happen)

GK: Pickford
    DC: Walker
    DC: Stones
    DC: Maguire
    WBR: Trippier
    WBL: Rose
    DMC: Dier
    MC: Alli
    MC: Ward-Prowse/Winks/Cook
    FWD: Sterling
    FWD: Kane/Rashford
    FWD: Sancho

• Lookman's goals to minutes at Leipzig is fantastic. Think he has a shot at making the squad.

• I'm Welsh so I'm sulking and not taking part in this discussion. Stupid game anyway ........

• @bigbradwolf I see you've copied the clever tactic by @AdamG of picking a 5-3-3 formation! 😂 Worth a try if it gets you past Panama I suppose!

• GK's - it "should" be Pickford, Pope and Butland but agree that Southgate will bottle it and pick Hart. - Pickford first XI based on distribution.

DEF's - it's a risk but I do see the logic in playing Walker at the back alongside Stones and Maguire. Rose and Trippier to provide the width.
    Keane has been dire all season so suspect Southgate will play it safe with Jones n Smalling as cover (usual let's just pick utd players syndrome)

Defensive MID's - I think we'll concede any remote chance of winning it if he plays Dier n Hendo together, both lacking mobility and acceleration. Shelvey isn't Pirlo by any stretch of the imagination but we're not blessed in that area and please don't suggest Wilshite is the answer!! Milner deserves a place in the staff after the year he's had.

Attacking Mids - Sterling, Alli, Lingard are probably our best creative outlets. Southgate should have tested Sessegnon and others during the last friendlies, as he didn't I suspect he'll stick with tried and tested.

Strikers - Kane and Vardy are the obvious options and after them we're very light on the ground. Not my favourite player but Welbeck offers something different so a lot will rely on him if and when he's asked to rescue a situation from the bench.

Germany could probably pick 6 squads and we're struggling to pick 1 that's any good. Oh dear

• @Agatello Rashford over Welbeck surely...

• GK's - Hart is a liability and shouldn't go but will, Pope should go but won't, Pickford and Butland will be on the plane too.

DEF's - Keane has been shocking and has no chance, Southgate doesn't rate Smalling's distribution from the back so he won't go either. Cahill (despite not playing for Chelsea will go for experience at the back, Stones, MacGuire, either Mawson, Tarkowski or Jones, Dier (as a cb option) and Walker as Southgate's weird 3 at the back option. Rose, Bertrand and Trippier will be the other full back options on the plane.

MID's - One of Wilshere or Shelvey has to go, no one else is able to thread a ball through the eye of a needle quite like either of them and a good option to change a game. Southgate has a love affair with Lallana so if he proves his fitness in the next two games he will go too. Dier (as a midfield option), Henderson, Alli, Lingard and Loftus Cheek in my opinion.

ATT's - Easy. Kane, Vardy, Sterling, Rashford.

My team.

GK - Pickford
    RB - Walker
    LB - Bertrand
    CB - MacGuire
    CB - Cahill
    CM/AM - Dier
    CM/AM - Henderson
    FR - Alli
    RW - Sterling
    CF - Kane
    LW - Rashford

• Jake Livermore?

• @R9Kennard Yeah after writing I thought about Rashford and although he's incredibly talented and will no doubt be picked I don't think he's set the world alight this season.

He's been well and truly Mourinho'd!

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.