Can someone explain Benchmark price?

• Here's an example:

f743e082-dafd-4216-8961-b654572ddea8-image.png

My average cost is £4.61, but the Benchmark is £5.79 - so FootballIndex is showing I've made a profit of £1.18 per share on him. But then the buy/sell prices are considerably lower, so low that I'm actually making a big loss.

This is extremely misleading surely?

• @NewUser46185 depends what you have set your portfolio value too.

• I've not set it to anything, I've just logged on for the first time in a few days. If this is the default value that your average Joe sees, surely this is misleading them?

• @NewUser46185 said in Can someone explain Benchmark price?:

Here's an example:

f743e082-dafd-4216-8961-b654572ddea8-image.png

My average cost is £4.61, but the Benchmark is £5.79 - so FootballIndex is showing I've made a profit of £1.18 per share on him. But then the buy/sell prices are considerably lower, so low that I'm actually making a big loss.

This is extremely misleading surely?

Benchmark = B & Q wallpaper

• @NewUser46185 that's what traders value their players at. That price is currently unrealistic.

You can change the way the price is set in Settings/Portfolio Preference.

Make sure to have a strong whiskey next to you if you change it to Mid Price.

• Port looks great on average price and horrendous on mid price, £1,000 difference. On mid price now my entire port is red. I think i'll turn the lights off and ban myself from the index for 6 months. Hopefully then it will be a brighter picture or the place will be boarded up.

• @NewUser46185

They defaulted it to Average All Offers for everyone who wasn't on Mid Price. I guess the way they look at it, those people were already happy to fool themselves with Buy Price, so why not show them another piece of fiction that makes them think they are doing brilliantly.

It's a straight up scam technique.

• Sorry but new to this and this was one of the many quesitons that i had !

Regarding portfolio surely the mid price is the most accurate of where you are with your stock ?

Surely 'mid price' or 'buy price' are more accurate measures of where your portfolio stands ???

• It should be the sum of the highest bids for the number of shares you hold, that would be accurate. But that would put too many people’s port values at zero so instead you have to ignore their valuations completely and keep a rough idea in your head based on my suggestion on what they should do above

• @NewUser141522

They're all shit options.

Get yourself a table/spreadsheet knocked up of your players and put a price at the side of the players that you think you'll be able to sell them for.

You can take it a step further and put a target sell date, and your reasoning. Don't worry about keeping it all up to date. Just check it from time-to-time to see how good you are at predicting the prices.

• That was a stinger changing to mid price lol. Guess i'll keep my head in the sand and peak again near the Euros with a rope near by

• @Dan-The-Man And if you really want to terrify yourself put in the instant sell price! 😳

• such a simple posts highlights EVERY single issue at FI HQ right now!!!!

The whole thing is a SHAMBLES!!!!

The buy price isn't the buy price

The sell price isn't the sell price.... (although you're lucky to get one)

The benchmark.... well that is just a load of bollocks in between un-realistic and non-existent offers!

If you get £3.28 a share for him I would snap the hand off and cash out quick!!!!

• Trying to draw up something to better track my actual position on FI rather than the mechanisms in place to show my “profit”. So quick question does the average cost price on players bought include commission?

• @NewUser455819 how many players do you have ?

i just have mid price. before that existed i just got a pen a paper out and worked out how much my players were worth if i did instant sell on all of them

• Spread over about 80. Just bought a few shares on a player didn’t previously hold and shock horror commission isn’t included in your cost. Basically to break even need to sell for 4% more that paid 2 lots of 2% buy and sell not huge but significant wen planning exit points for players.

• @NewUser455819 your better bet would be to click on individuals and see what 'sell price' you can get through current offers... That after all is the only way you can gauge as close to the fee you'll actually get if you did sell?