The matrix is a mess

• Another issue with FI.

How does Haaland score 4 and not even win top forward... pathetic.

And for the record I don’t even have Ronaldo or Haaland.... it just makes no sense.

• Ronaldo scored two and made a lot more passes, simple.

• The problem with Haaland is he is basically a moving goal post.

He has a great future but he needs to mature more as a player to really have a stronger PB game.
    If he does that then hes a diffrent kind of animal.

Not saying he wont win PB, just hes got a bit of work to do.

• @NewUser84362 said in The matrix is a mess:

Another issue with FI.

How does Haaland score 4 and not even win top forward... pathetic.

And for the record I don’t even have Ronaldo or Haaland.... it just makes no sense.

The only time he touches the ball is when he puts it in the back of the net. Otherwise low involvement in the game.

• @Kanzz said in The matrix is a mess:

He has a great future but he needs to mature more as a player to really have a stronger PB game.
    If he does that then hes a diffrent kind of animal.

Have you heard yourself? I'm sure his manager and coaches will be right onto him about that...

"Yeh, was great that Erling mate, but what about your PB scores hey? What the fuck man? We need a different animal - One who scores two goals and sort of passes it about a bit more. Can you do that instead of scoring for fun please?"

• @NewUser84362 absolutely no issue with the scoring matrix. Would of loved Bruno to win but accepted he didn't. Understand its pissed a lot of people off and i feel for them. Otherwise where's the problem?

• @Leighton Im talking about FI.... When it comes to FI once he matures he will be a diffrent animal for PB.
    You always this uptight?

• Pathetic noob post, joins 20th september and figures out the entire PB system is wrong.

Haaland has crap base pb, always has, always will. Seen him score hattricks and not even make 200.

That's just the way it is. All he does is poach goals, doesn't play hardly any passes or create anything.

• @Leighton what a ridiculous response?! And you thought @Kanzz post was stupid?

Obviously he is a world class player, but we're on the FootballIndex website, and the subject is the FI scoring Matrix, the context is how Haaland's game is not suited to the matrix, just in case you missed all that.

@Kanzz response was obviously addressing that question.

• @NewUser395079 said in The matrix is a mess:

Pathetic noob post, joins 20th september and figures out the entire PB system is wrong.

Haaland has crap base pb, always has, always will. Seen him score hattricks and not even make 200.

That's just the way it is. All he does is poach goals, doesn't play hardly any passes or create anything.

I don't think it's entirely a pathetic post, it could have been worded with less vitriol mind but it does sting when it happens to you, so I can see why he went that way, especially given everything else that's going on this month on the Index. Tempers are bound to be running high.

The guy isn't wrong to think it's daft that a player can bag 4 and not take PB. We all know it doesn't match up with the current PB system but that's what the OP is saying... that it should and he's of course, right.

Think about it, scoring 4 goals in 1 game is crazy rare. Sure, Son has done it this season and Antonio did it at the end of last season but before that, it was over 2 years since it happened in the Premiership.

It's an easy fix for them too.

Hatrick bonus = 30
    4th goal bonus = 50

They wouldn't have to change it right away. Just announce it for next season. Show some long term planning.

That way, if you ever get 4 goals, you've got an extra 80 points.

It's something that has bugged me since I first joined and every few months, we see another user call it out. This is football, hatricks mean something, scoring 4, is a big deal and it's not like it would change prices.

Thing is... with everything going on... it's kind of the least of our worries.

• @NewUser84362 I have both so don't care 😂

• no, their are ipd's for goals, the matrix is about all round game, as mentioned he plays very far forward so isn't involved in everything, but he is very good on ball so if dortmund perform his pb scores will climb

• This is why it’s important to consider a player’s average PB base (i.e. his average score minus goals, assists, GWG, clean sheets, cards, wins/losses) before deciding the price you’re happy to buy in at.

A player like EBH just isn’t that PB friendly because his base score his relatively modest. But he’s still young and as he matures, his base may well improve.

... and he won MB last night, so his goals / performance were recognised and rewarded in some way.

• @Dan-The-Man there is a matrix review in the summer and i would expect us to receive a survey on it. I can imagine the bonus points you show will be something many will push for or at least extra points either way.

• @Dan-The-Man Disagree entirely.

I actually think the matrix is pretty much spot on and one of the few things FI have got right.

The players that top the PB rankings are generally all the best players, who you think are the best players.

Goal poachers who score regularly, like haaland, who goes missing for 80% of the game, or someone playing against a crap defense shouldn't win all the time, players like messi and ronaldo, they should win because they're the best players. Being a great footballer is more than scoring loads of goals.

It's fairly feasible that moise kean could score 4 tap ins this season against some garbage french team, whilst playing like a complete donkey, so if he had a huge pb boost for that and won over say, messi, who had completely controlled a game and gave a masterclass is wrong.

@Dan-The-Man Disagree entirely.

I actually think the matrix is pretty much spot on and one of the few things FI have got right.

The players that top the PB rankings are generally all the best players, who you think are the best players.

Goal poachers who score regularly, like haaland, who goes missing for 80% of the game, or someone playing against a crap defense shouldn't win all the time, players like messi and ronaldo, they should win because they're the best players. Being a great footballer is more than scoring loads of goals.

It's fairly feasible that moise kean could score 4 tap ins this season against some garbage french team, whilst playing like a complete donkey, so if he had a huge pb boost for that and won over say, messi, who had completely controlled a game and gave a masterclass is wrong.

You raise some interesting points but...

Make all the passes that you want, if the ball doesn't get "tapped in", you're in a 0-0 draw and those passes amount to nothing.

You also underestimate how difficult it is to achieve 4 tap ins. There's a reason we only see that once in a blue moon and there's a reason we don't get many players banging in 44 goals in a season.

Haaland is a forward, it's a forwards objective to put the ball in the net and he did that better than anyone else yesterday and in doing so, secured his team 3 points.

There's a reason strikers get the big bucks, it's because nobody wants to go watch 0-0 games, no matter how silky the team can pass. People want goals, be it supporters watching in the stands, fans watching on TV or players on the pitch wanting to win trophies. Without goals, footballers wouldn't getting their wages.

And all I'm saying is, we should recognise hatricks and 4 goals but I'd also be down for increased PB scores on multiple assists too. If you've played 10 secondary key passes, surely that's a sign that you're really controlling the game, so maybe there should be multipliers.

The thing is, if you start changing all of that, the bets of everyone changes again. Where as if you stick the hatrick modifier on and the 4th goal... it's not suddenly going to make anyone rush out to buy any particular player because those things are super rare.

All that aside....

It's nice to have a disagreement about football ;-)

• @Dan-The-Man I think the matrix is a very dangerous thing to play around with, being basically the core mechanic of the entire company.

I'm sure a lott of people would agree it's probably not absolutely perfect, but i'm sure many more would agree that it works pretty damn well compared to the rest of FI, so I for one, would NOT want them messing about with it much. It could quite easily have disastrous consequences, and make the game either completely random and weird, or make completely the wrong types of players the best on the index for no reason.

Haaland scored over 300 didn't he? That's plenty when you look at his actual stats for the game.

By this reckoning, you think he should have score 400 points. That's nonesense.

@Dan-The-Man I think the matrix is a very dangerous thing to play around with, being basically the core mechanic of the entire company.

Couldn't agree more with that. That's why this is a simple change that would hardly change anything. Most of the time a hatrick wins the day but on the few occasions where it doesn't you see users pop up, angry about it and justifiably so in my opinion. What you really never see, is a guy popping up angry because his player made 50 passes but Ronaldo bagged a hatrick so his 50 passes went unnoticed. The anger is one way for a reason. We can all understand how important a hatrick is.

By this reckoning, you think he should have score 400 points. That's nonesense.

400 points sounds about right for something that happens once every year or two.

It's a super rare feat, that only 28 players in Premiership history have every achieved. That's how rare it is. 28, out of the tens of thousands of players have pulled it off.

• @Dan-The-Man Just dread the thought of any change to the matrix tbh with the market in it's new vulnerable state.

The one thing a market hates is uncertainty. A change to the matrix, no matter how seemingly small could have big consequences. Probably not a 4 goal bonus, but something as simple as a hattrick bonus could see money rushing out of mids and defenders into forwards and destabilise things. As you know, the market is not usually sensible in it's actions.

I feel any changes they make now results in huge volatility.

Better the devil you know and all that.

• Good debate both. I'm on the fence as you make very valid points. I'm trying to think of ways to reward gks, def and mid as their chances of having that 'rare' game cant be monitored as effectively as a striker scoring 3 of 4. One to ponder