America to legalise sports betting

• I have just read that the US Supreme Court has overturned the sports betting ban, does this potentially pave the way for FI to be released over in the USA? This would be a real game changer if this were to happen

• @Wolves_Ay_We Possibly, depending on which of the rules they have stated. If it meant people in states being allowed to play this game then it could double the number of players on this, meaning double our money aswell I would imagine.

• @NewUser59855 I would say far more than double potentially. Only downside is the lack of people interested in 'soccer' over there but then with the likes of zlatan that should help.

• Personally don't think it would make any difference at all,it's being and has been released in much bigger markets than the US......fi is just not there thing unless u make with American football then that's different Story.

• Also its makes more or less no difference the amount of users, players value is derived from dividends not how many people are using, u could add another 50million users players like neymar etc still have a ceiling of same amount around 15

• @Pat-Hiscock It makes a huge difference - if there's a massive influx in users but they don't consider the top player to offer value either they will pump money into players lower down, and/or accelerate a move to either increase dividends or implement another share split so as not to discourage investment.
    I'm also interested what you base your estimates of American interest in FI on given there's never been a similar product there? In terms of population the US would be the biggest market by a mile. Even if soccer isn't one of the top sports there, it is certainly growing. If 1/1000th of the US population signed up that would be an extra 320,000 users. In comparison, you'd need to get 3.5% of Sweden's population on board to get the same number of additional users. (If my maths is right - I admit it's not my strongest skill!)

• @BL__FI Exactly this, per head of course you won't get as many 'soccer' fans in the US but in a country with a population of 5 times ours, we don't need to, if only a small fraction get on board then it could be huge

Pity, they missed out on world cup qualification though as that would have helped to massively raise the profile of the game over there, although I suspect this is a few years away anyway, if at all

• @Pat-Hiscock said in America to legalise sports betting:

Also its makes more or less no difference the amount of users, players value is derived from dividends not how many people are using, u could add another 50million users players like neymar etc still have a ceiling of same amount around 15

@Pat-Hiscock said in America to legalise sports betting:

Also its makes more or less no difference the amount of users, players value is derived from dividends not how many people are using, u could add another 50million users players like neymar etc still have a ceiling of same amount around 15

A player is worth as much as someone is willing to pay, there is no “ceiling”... i dont know if it would take off in america or not but as far as im concerned there is no “ceiling”.. all i can see happening is the bigger the platform gets and the more high profile it gets we could see more people joining just for the ROI, if it gets like that then £15 a player could be blown out the water... stock traders are playing with major money, if we can get them sniffing around then the sky is the limit!!!

• @Bigfella there is absolutely a ceiling on players prices at current dividends, if u can't see or understand this i would be very careful with your money....

• @Bigfella It's not quite as simple as that - there does come a point where the ROI in dividends per price of share no longer offers enough value to be tempting, which I think is what @Pat-Hiscock was talking about. Personally I'd put it a bit higher than £15. In any case, the idea is that once that amount of money is on the platform and FI are getting bigger sums from each 2% commission, they should be able to increase dividend payouts or artificially reduce the cost of shares (share split).

• @Pat-Hiscock im sure they will adjust the dividends structure as the platform grows obviously, and as and when they do the “ceiling” goes up, it aint £15 but thats just a matter of opinion i suppose!!

• @Stevo that's why I only said double. I knew that USA aren't into 'Soccer' that much compared to Europe. It goes behind Baseball, Basketball, Boxing, MMA, NFL. The positive to 'Soccer' however is that usually people are smaller that play it than those in Baseball, Basketball and the NFL. That means those Americans who want to be an athlete won't be disregarding 'Soccer' in favour of NFL, Baseball or Basketball, because they will probably be too small to play those sports mentioned, hence they will take up 'Soccer' and become good at it.

• If we conservatively estimate 5 mb per month and 4 pb per year, very much doable, this equates to dividends of approx. 3.72, give or take, based on a £15 value, that's still 25% ROI in a year, to me that's still good value, so whilst I agree that there's a ceiling on Neymar's price, it suggest it would be higher than £15

• More to the point let's get the NFL INDEX Rocking !

• It's interesting not so much for us on FI though.

There will be big bureaucracy and legislative issues to enter this market. For the number of people willing to jump into Soccer not sure how high this will be on FI radar.

Also as soon as this enters an American Football style model will be launched and this will hoover up a lot of money FI would look to target.

There needs to be six months of calm after the world cup where current issues get sorted and the roll out into Ireland and Canada then next year start gunning for some of these projects.

Remember we still have no Android app/Reserve Price and Seri name issue.
    How watertight would these be under the new gambling laws in America?
    Unfair Advantage cases maybe raised.

Be interesting never the less.

• Adding a country like America would be huge despite their lack of both a gambling and “soccer” cultures however few users gained would still be better than none! New countries will always be slow burners however better a slow constant growth than a boom and crash, be interesting to know how Sweden, Canada and Ireland are coming along perhaps

• @Ermejo FI is open already for sweden users. And it seems to be a hugh success there already. Because they posted on twitter that the app is in one category (i dont remember exactly but I think it was sport) the number 1 in sweden with the most downloads in this category. So it seems we have a lot of people from sweden here.

• The big issue I see for the US is geographically. Other than the world cup all 'qualifying leagues' are in Europe. So it's easy to get ppl from those countries interested and even Sweden will have an interest in big European leagues, but will the US have access to information from the bundesliga and serie a and the Europa league? It might not be relevant enough. Would be interesting to know how they're doing in Canada as analmost kind of comparison.

• @John-Renwick in todays world its absolutely no problem to get the informations. It doesnt matter whether you are in Australia, New Zealand or in another country (except North korea - there you will have no internet or just very limited internet i guess). I think people from US are very interested in soccer. Have you seen the euphoria after the transfers of Ibrahimovic, Beckham, or Schweinsteiger?

• @NewUser38991 yeah absolutely and since Zlatan went to the MLS I've even watched a couple of games, but let's play devils advocate, and say what if FI made MLS a qualifying league... I'd search and research etc but being located in Scotland I can't imagine me being in a position where I know the MLS anywhere near as well as the premiership or la Liga or even ligue1. I just think it could ok uld be a turn off to someone who wasn't a full time trader. Just my opinion. Like if the index was an American thing and the qualifying leagues were MLS, Mexico, Brazil and Argentina.... I wouldn't have been as keen to invest.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.