Selling players

• Hi,
    I joined FootballI Index a couple of years ago, bought a bunch of players and had fun trading for a bit but then got bored. At the time the buy/sell pricing were pretty closed, so I found it quite easy to turn a profit. Today I logged in after several months inactivity and I noticed that the discrepancy between buy/sell price of the 6 players I still own is huge. I would like to sell them and close my account as I don't really use it, but selling at those prices would make me feel like I am burning money.
    Out of curiosity, is there other ways players turn money in these days (I believe there are dividends given out) ? I guess the only way to play this game now is to buy a player and hold him forever making money from dividends, no point in trading when often the selling price is like half of the buying price? What am I missing here, I just don't see how somebody could turn a profit only from trading players in the short term.

• @NewUser373577 the 'volatility' post below yours explains it

• Only way to make money is to have decent players. If yours have a sell price that's half of the buy price, they must be rubbish players ?

• @o_O said in Selling players:

Only way to make money is to have decent players. If yours have a sell price that's half of the buy price, they must be rubbish players ?

This is reductive, simplistic, and quite frankly incorrect thinking. Eden Hazard currently has no IS, and he almost won Top FWD on a Gold Day under a week ago, and is obviously expected to be pivotal for club and country in the coming years.

IS availability and prices do however now reflect demand, and FI now requires more thinking. There are still however still many strategies to win, whether you are more of a short term in-play trader/div accumulator/spread trader etc etc.

Only way to make money is to have decent players. If yours have a sell price that's half of the buy price, they must be rubbish players ?

When I started playing this game a couple of years ago to main point was to buy players that you thought they had potential to grow in order to resell them later. You could buy a player and easily sell it at 3x, 4x, 5x the buying price a few months later. Now it looks that the spread between buying and selling price is ridiculous.
    I thought this game was supposed to be a representation of the stock market but for football, and in the stock market there would be 0 investors with this type of buy/sell spreads. This is pretty much the only reason why I don't want to spend time studying other strategies in this game, just not worth the time as there are more profitable opportunities elsewhere. I guess if you buy a good player and keep him forever you will probably make money with dividends, but this means this is now pretty much a long-term game only.
    I'd probably need to login back in 5 years and check if some of the 6 youngsters I own has turned into a champion then. :)

• @NewUser373577 depends who you hold, but still loads of ways to trade for capital growth, but most player prices are now more likely to see bigger peaks and troughs, so buying then leaving for months means you could miss some excellent selling opportunities.

This weekend saw Silva at Wolves jump over 50% (from memory, apologies if I'm a bit out!) when Jiminez went off and Mahrez and Cavani had big rises on the back of their performances. Of course, there will be those who buy players they believe will be steady dividend earners, so they may be happier to buy and log out, making this volatility less relevant to them. However, that feels a bit boring to me, so whilst I may look long term, I would recommend checking in at least once a week to see how values and spreads are changing.

• @NewUser373577 And don't forget that when date stamping comes in (at some point in 2021, but no exact timeframe known yet) shares are due to start expiring after 3 years. Whilst I know your "I'll check in 5 years" was not serious, if you have players you have already held for a while, I would definitely recommend checking into the Forum on a fairly regular basis to see when this time stamping comes in and when the first shares will expire, as you definitely wouldn't want to miss that and I'm sure it will be well debated here.

• @FootballArgos What's hazard got to do with anything? He's talking about players with players that have a sell price HALF of the buy price. The only players like this are rubbish ones. Hazard sell price is 78% of their buy price.

• @NewUser373577 You're describing site where in a year you can easily 3x 4x 5x your money without doing anything.
    That's ridiculous.

The player spreads change all the time, you have to buy when people are selling, and sell when people are buying. When there is demand for a player, the spread tightens right up.

In answer to the post though, no, The game isn't going to give you free money.

• @o_O Disagree,the dude probably bought good average players then we got 50% off prices for obvious reasons,makes me laugh when we are all soooooo bad at buying "good "players.If the platform gets big price crash you could sign God and his price would fall.

• @Shaun442 We're not talking about the price bought and the sell price now, we're talking about the current SPREAD BETWEEN BUY AND SELL

@FootballArgos What's hazard got to do with anything? He's talking about players with players that have a sell price HALF of the buy price. The only players like this are rubbish ones. Hazard sell price is 78% of their buy price.

Selling at 78% of buy price is already a scam in itself. The buy/sell spread should theoretically be much closer than that in any type of trade.

• @NewUser373577 said in Selling players:

@o_O said in Selling players:

When I started playing this game a couple of years ago to main point was to buy players that you thought they had potential to grow in order to resell them later. You could buy a player and easily sell it at 3x, 4x, 5x the buying price a few months later. Now it looks that the spread between buying and selling price is ridiculous.
    I thought this game was supposed to be a representation of the stock market but for football, and in the stock market there would be 0 investors with this type of buy/sell spreads. This is pretty much the only reason why I don't want to spend time studying other strategies in this game, just not worth the time as there are more profitable opportunities elsewhere. I guess if you buy a good player and keep him forever you will probably make money with dividends, but this means this is now pretty much a long-term game only.
    I'd probably need to login back in 5 years and check if some of the 6 youngsters I own has turned into a champion then. :)

@o_O said in Selling players:

@NewUser373577 You're describing site where in a year you can easily 3x 4x 5x your money without doing anything.

No, I know these returns that are sustainable in the long term and this is not what I implied with my post. My problem is not with players losing value (which I can fully understand) but the increased spread. All of my players are worth more than what I paid for them initially, every single one of them, however if I sell them now I would actually have a loss, which doesn't make sense in any type of market.

• @NewUser373577 It makes perfect sense. It's a real market, where you have to sell to other people. So if nobody wants what you're selling, you won't get a good price. This is why I said maybe you have rubbish players, that nobody wants.

If you try to sell them when they are in demand, you'll get a better price.

That's how markets work.

• @NewUser373577 Hazard literally just got injured. That's why his spread is huge with sell price at 78% of buy price. Because nobody wants to buy him.

It's not a scam, it's just that nobody wants to buy your players at a point in time when there's no demand for them, and you don't seem to be able to grasp how markets work.

Name the players you want to sell....

• @NewUser373577 It is ridiculous to think it's normal to 'buy a player and easily sell it at 3x, 4x, 5x the buying price a few months later'. Those fantasy returns were never sustainable. Surprised that you left when you could make 300-500% in a few months...

Personally, I don't have ridiculous spreads for my port players but I'd recommend reading through the forum to find out what has happened to the market over the last few months. And we can't really answer your question properly without understanding your holds. Who are the players in question? Perhaps they are symptoms of a market low on confidence or perhaps they are just bad buys? Share a pic or list the players and buy price.

And, although it may never be enforced, there is a 3 year expiry date on shares, so don't sit on them for too long.

• @o_O add to that there's actually only about a 5% spread between highest bid and lowest offer