Traders behaviours to match day rankings

• Why do traders sell off good PB players if they have one poor game or don't look likely to finish top PB in their position for the day?

Take Trent for example (not a poor game but is second for top DEF to Robertson).. I'd imagine the bulk of those traders are selling him at a loss as his price has dropped considerably recently.

Some could simply be cutting their losses and leaving FI with what they can but I imagine some have used that money to jump on Robertson for the possible dividends he may win. What's the point in that? Surely the value loss on Trent right now combined with the commision far outweighs the dividends you'll be earning on Robertson 'if' he holds on for top DEF.. is it traders being naive or am I missing a trick?

As much as i'd love to jump on these players, I can't justify the loss i'll take selling them and if I intend to get rid, will at least sell when they have a spike.

EDIT: I understand it could also be people purchasing Robertson using their cash balance or new money entering the platform but that can't account for all trading on him today.

• @Stelarsi said in Traders behaviours to match day rankings:

Why do traders sell off good PB players if they have one poor game or don't look likely to finish top PB in their position for the day?

To get out before the drop, then get back in again after the drop with all new IPD window.

• @Dan-The-Man said in Traders behaviours to match day rankings:

@Stelarsi said in Traders behaviours to match day rankings:

Why do traders sell off good PB players if they have one poor game or don't look likely to finish top PB in their position for the day?

To get out before the drop, then get back in again after the drop with all new IPD window.

But that justification would only make sense for traders who purchased him in the last couple of days which can't be many..?

Just one week ago, he was around the £4 mark, a month ago close to £6.. the majority of traders at this point are likely to be holding him at prices in that range, if not higher as he's also been in the £7-£10 range over the past year.

Lets just say you bought 100 shares in him at £4 a month ago and sold him today, you're looking at over a £100 loss.. a month ago it's a £300 loss. You're not going to compensate for that type of drop with 30 days worth of IPDs in him unless you think his price now (£3ish) is going to plummet to the £1.50 - £2 range where you intend to buy back in but I can't see him dropping that low, even with the current state of the FI market.

Maybe people are sick of seeing red in their portfolio's and would prefer to take the losses and try and make it green again.. who knows!

• @Stelarsi it doesn't matter if they paid 10 pound for him. Sell and buy back you are still in the same boat altho you may gain a few more pennies if you do that. Sell at say 2 and go back in at 1.50 you have saved that 50 p drop if that makes sense

• For anyone who has been on FI for more than a few months, it's pretty clear that short term thinking dominates prices, in part because of a lack of depth. Robbo was purchasable at around, or under, £1.30 a few days ago, which was close to the price I paid at the start of the season prior to several dividend wins. He has jumped up purely because he has won and people fear he will keep winning and when he doesn't win for a few fixtures his price will drop and the cycle will repeat.

For Trent, every time Robbo beats him it confirms a fear that would/should have been playing on people's minds since the post lockdown period - that Robbo looks a better bet for dividends, irrespective of price. So people jump off of Trent even though he is reaching a decent price. Worth pointing out that Robbo is threatening first in TOTM too.

This happens on the market all the time because people lack patience. There are certain prices who move up and down like a clockwork. You can buy Muller at 80p now but when the fixtures come thick and fast for Bayern again he will be above a pound. Repeat with 20-30 examples whose prices have dropped considerably in response to a gap in fixtures.

Henderson, by the way, just dropped to an IS of 32p. He was trading above that before the game today, in which he scored and came away with 200 points. It happened because Stindl was about to surpass his score although he just had his just had his winning goal cancelled by Kramaric (wahey an IPD), so now has dropped away. It's madness.

• @Stelarsi il tell you why trent is bombing because he ain't the same player as last year and Robertson is more involved now less chance of a pb win. 3 quid max by ew year

• @AndydfopT said in Traders behaviours to match day rankings:

@Stelarsi it doesn't matter if they paid 10 pound for him. Sell and buy back you are still in the same boat altho you may gain a few more pennies if you do that. Sell at say 2 and go back in at 1.50 you have saved that 50 p drop if that makes sense

I get what you’re saying but my point is you’re still having to take the initial hit of selling from your original price. If you bought 100 Trents at £10 and do as you say above, you’re still at a net £750 loss on him.

That’s where I’m at with a few players (not to that extreme as I’ve only been here a few months).. deciding whether to play the long game and hope for divs and / or price rises again to recoup some of those losses or bite the bullet, take the initial losses and rebuy at the current FI prices.

• @Stelarsi

Whatever you paid for the player previously is a sunk cost and you shouldn't let it dictate what you do moving forwards. If, as in the example above, you sell at £2 and buy back at £1.50 you've made/saved 50p that you wouldn't have made otherwise. It's irrelevant what you bought at.

• @Stelarsi said in Traders behaviours to match day rankings:

@AndydfopT said in Traders behaviours to match day rankings:

@Stelarsi it doesn't matter if they paid 10 pound for him. Sell and buy back you are still in the same boat altho you may gain a few more pennies if you do that. Sell at say 2 and go back in at 1.50 you have saved that 50 p drop if that makes sense

I get what you’re saying but my point is you’re still having to take the initial hit of selling from your original price. If you bought 100 Trents at £10 and do as you say above, you’re still at a net £750 loss on him.

That’s where I’m at with a few players (not to that extreme as I’ve only been here a few months).. deciding whether to play the long game and hope for divs and / or price rises again to recoup some of those losses or bite the bullet, take the initial losses and rebuy at the current FI prices.

You've already took that loss.

If you bought for £1.... and the player is 50p but you think by tomorrow he'll be 25p, you can get out at 50p, buy back at 25p and you'll have recouped 25p worth of losses with a new window of prizes to win more on top.