World Cup strategy

• I am a newbie to trading here, I started last month. I was wondering what the views are with the World Cup.

I am coming to terms with the idea that the best way of making money from the platform is through dividends. I can’t see how there’s going to be much to be made out of the world cup in terms of dividends compared to potential risks of injury, early exit of star players etc. A part of the fear is that I have managed to curse a number of players with my selection of the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain, Maddison and Payet succumbing to injury.

So other than going long on some players that might represent value to go on to become the next James Rodriguez and make a big money move I cant see much fun to be had from the exercise. Which is a bit of a disappointment.

Any thoughts?

If there is something I have missed in previous discussions I would appreciate a link to the topic.

• I have a balanced portfolio and make about 25% of my money from dividends and 75% in profit from sales and I've heard others say similar. Look at getting in on some prospects with potential now and watch them grow. The thread 'cheap players' on here is useful with many suggestions. Regarding the World
    Cup if it's anything like the champions league then prices will be volatile during games so it will certainly be fun don't worry !

• My World Cup strategy is buying players that are not at the World Cup on the cheap for next season I think I can pick up a few bargains while people go silly on the World Cup got my eye on a few that have been falling

• @NewUser140336

It's never fun when you're losing money mate. We have all been there. I'm sure quite a few people on these forums have quit for a few months and came back later regretting it.

I've made several mistakes on the FI. There are lots of pitfalls that the inexperienced trader can't see. You probably didn't realise it, but as soon as payet hit the deck in last nights game, loads of investors were already quick selling to minimise their losses. If you were too late, then live and learn.

In short, I used to gamble on bet 365. I used to win big, I used to lose big. The usual story.

Now I don't, and all my 'gambling' is done on the football index, which I find far more enjoyable, less risky and a relatively fair platform as you are 'competing' against fellow investors. There is nothing fair about the odds bookmakers like bet 365 give you.

Give it a few more months, I'm sure you will change your mind and I hope you stick with it.

There are so many ways to make money on this platform rather than just throwing all your cash at the media magnets.

All the best.

• @johnboywalker You seem similar to me. I used to gamble that way and now I only gamble this way. It makes sense.

• @NewUser59855 now fixed odds terminals are going down this might be the new addition but less risky

• Sometimes this place can feel like when you’re on the m1 in traffic and you keep changing lane to the one which is moving. Each time you do it your lane grinds to a halt and the others start moving. Important thing is they all move forward in the end.

• @LG
    Haha love this analogy, it definitely feels like that at times!

• Could do with a Like button for LG's comment

• @Spirit-cat said in World Cup strategy:

Could do with a Like button for LG's comment

U can press ^ this acts like a like button

• @LG This 100%, the amount of times of jumped from trade to trade for fear of missing out, only for my original hold to go up after I've sold up, patience is a hugely underrated commodity on the index

• Thanks for your thoughts.

I was lucky to be around following the matches when the player I held were injured so I was able to bale out with a modest profit. Where I have 'lost' money is the IPOs which seem to be a mugs game. But even then it doesn't feel like a gamble like the bookies as I thought the players had the potential to gain in value over time but lost out to the day trader type who wanted to cash in.

I think I probably hold close to 25% of media/buzzy type players in Ronaldo, Salah, Griezman which has worked out so far. The rest are promising young players or just those that seem to be undervalued.

I definitely appreciate the thought that you need to play the long game. I do like the changing lanes in traffic analogy!!!

Cheers

• @NewUser140336 Similar to me. I hold a few big name players and the rest are young starlets set to make it big and replace them hopefully. Should make more money that way in the longer run. I feel a bit like Southampton where I'm holding Shaw, Lallana, Van Dijk, Bale, Walcott, Schneiderlin and Sane etc, but before they've become big. Buy a cheap young player now for 40p - 80p (£5 - £10 million for real football clubs) and then sell for £2 - £4 (£20 - £35 million for real football clubs).

• @NewUser59855 said in World Cup strategy:

@NewUser140336 Similar to me. I hold a few big name players and the rest are young starlets set to make it big and replace them hopefully. Should make more money that way in the longer run. I feel a bit like Southampton where I'm holding Shaw, Lallana, Van Dijk, Bale, Walcott, Schneiderlin and Sane etc, but before they've become big. Buy a cheap young player now for 40p - 80p (£5 - £10 million for real football clubs) and then sell for £2 - £4 (£20 - £35 million for real football clubs).

Loved the way you explained it .