Buying Trackers

• Anybody only bought trackers? If so, how've you done with them?...

• When you buy trackers you basicacally get the shares on every player included in that bracket (top 10-25-100) most expensive at that moment
    In theory trackers may be seen as a good idea as they should grow with the market however if you buy them you will end up with some unwanted players more likely to lose money than make and and therefore it would be better off picking players individually and discarding of the obvious bad ones (Milner and Perrin being prime examples)

• @Ermejo said in Buying Trackers:

When you buy trackers you basicacally get the shares on every player included in that bracket (top 10-25-100) most expensive at that moment
    In theory trackers may be seen as a good idea as they should grow with the market however if you buy them you will end up with some unwanted players more likely to lose money than make and and therefore it would be better off picking players individually and discarding of the obvious bad ones (Milner and Perrin being prime examples)

Pretty much exactly this. If you critically analysed each of the top 100 before deciding who to buy you'd end up ditching a surprising number

• @Pierrey2129 Agreed, the Tracker 100 isn't the smartest investment.
    However it's worth pointing out, you can't go wrong with the Tracker 10. The top 10 players will consistently bring dividends and reliable growth over time.

• @James - yeah fair shout. But even then I wouldn't touch certain players, probably 3 maybe 4 of the top 10. I'd rather use that spare cash to go in larger on some than others I guess. All good things to think about and for the casual investor I agree, the top 10 offers good returns for suee

• In my opinion, a tracker would only be good for someone who may be time poor, has little to no football knowledge and has no interest in learning. This surely will suit some investors but for most on here it's all about the pride and fun in picking your own players and then seeing them reap you the benefits (or not) whichever the case may be

• i bought a tracker from the off just as a low risk way of getting started. i.e i needed to have money in to be bothered to learn how the platform worked. and to be fair it did exactly that. i quickly learned some of the players in the 100 would rarely / never win dividends. so i ditched many and retained the ones i thought will. so it did help with learning for me

• After a few months on FI, i decided to carry out a small experiment - buying 10 x Tracker 10.
    My plan was to hold for 10 weeks and see what the return is like versus what i can do...
    The results are (almost) in - 9 weeks gone and it has delivered a 15.4% increase on investment at current buy price. This is made up by a 7.3% return on investment through dividends - so 8.1% from player value increase.

For anyone that is interested, here's the detail:

0_1527022291760_upload-ff30a6e1-fecf-4900-b484-e956490664b2

• @Pierrey2129 Same. I won't touch Messi (too old), Ronaldo (too old), Kane currently (over-priced), Salah currently (may transfer), Hazard ever (moving to Spain), Bale ever (too highly priced), and Griezmann ever (staying in Spain).

• @Jay-Frazz That's pretty interesting. Not sure what return I'd expect to see (have never used the trackers), but >15% in 10 weeks is better than I'd have imagined

• @Jay-Frazz this is great work and great detail! Thanks for posting, please create a new thread about it next week when its complete 👍

• @James - Sure thing

• @HappyLarry59855 said in Buying Trackers:

@Pierrey2129 Same. I won't touch Messi (too old), Ronaldo (too old), Kane currently (over-priced), Salah currently (may transfer), Hazard ever (moving to Spain), Bale ever (too highly priced), and Griezmann ever (staying in Spain).

Interesting you have mentioned three of the ones I'd keep (Ronny, Salah and Bale). Ronny is amazing, just amazing i don't care about his age. Salah admittedly is risky and will be one to derisk on (one of the reasons why using a tracker isn't ideal - you can't buy different numbers of each player), but long term he's a good hold without doubt. Bale is highly priced but if he moves to Spurs or holy moly Man Utd then it's raining 💷💷💷

Don't particularly think Messi is better value over the summer but one for next year without doubt. Pogba is the king of MB (£ for £), Neymar is the pace setter and in a growing market why wouldn't you. Gruezmann I like but timing the exit is imperative and long term at Barca will be a lot cheaper. Mbappe - not a chance he doesn't return dividends and he's £5. Next! Who have I missed... Oh yeah Kane - shit at PB and zero MB game (come at me with that score tonight it's all good). Hazard - expected big things but he's been disappointing. May just lurk in the shadows all summer and have an average WC.

So in summary - yes to Neymar, Pogba, Bale, Salah and Ronaldo. Maybe Messi but would rather more Ronaldo. No to Kane, Hazard, Donatello and Griezmann.

But come August its all change! Still no Kane, Hazard or Mbappe though they suck ass

• Sorry to reply to own post, but if anyone can explain the appeal of Mbappe I would be open to hearing it, because I can't see it. Other than buying the next king, assuming Neymar leaves within next year or two, at what would be a bargain price of £5?? But will he really get there considering he's currently overshadowed at club and international level?

• @Pierrey2129 MBappe is still only 19. he has so much more room to grow and be better. I think there is no other striker his age group or close to it that are as good as him. When there is no one else and Messi and Ronaldo are gone he is the best to replace them and could quite easily be £15 in 5 years in my opinion.

• Memphis Depay has arguably outshone Mbappe in the French League this season?

• In a nutshell if you are buying trackers you need to have a long term hold view. Equally the more of the market you track the better. In the short term active traders will out perform you but over the longer term incorrect investment decisions compounded by trading costs will mean your net yield will be higher. As an active trader you will not get every call correct.

• Trackers are a f*cking disgrace and, as much as I respect some of the people who have shown advocacy, I can't stand them.

Compared to just looking at the top 10 and buying one of each, the only difference is that you click your mouse fewer times. That's it. The downside is you may not have bought one or two of those players, and could have found value lower down the list.

Absolute sham and needs reform or removal.

(slams down laptop and finishes his sugar puffs)

• @CleanShirtTrader said in Buying Trackers:

Trackers are a f*cking disgrace and, as much as I respect some of the people who have shown advocacy, I can't stand them.

Compared to just looking at the top 10 and buying one of each, the only difference is that you click your mouse fewer times. That's it. The downside is you may not have bought one or two of those players, and could have found value lower down the list.

Absolute sham and needs reform or removal.

(slams down laptop and finishes his sugar puffs)

Why is it a sham , it is what it claims to be. If you think the top players will rise then its not a bad choice.

It comes down to how efficient/perfect you think the market is. If its super efficient then players should be worth what they are trading for and there is no real advantage in hand picking stocks.

On the flip side , if you dont think the market is efficient and you can judge value better than the masses then its better to hand pick your futures.

Personally I dont think the market is efficient. As time goes on though , wisdom of the crowds mean that players values should be more in line with their true value so there will less of an advantage in picking players yourself.

• Trackers are a quick way for people to invest with no time or perhaps no interest, just deposit buy trackers and log in to check every now and then to see how your investment is doing, in a way they allow a window in for those casual and non football maniacs into the platform