Portfolio return?

• What's would you say is a good percentage return on overall portfolio? I'm currently sitting at 12% after 3 months, is that good or do I need a strategy shake up? Just want people opinions to gauge an average return.

• @NewUser123670 I'm at 19% and joined mid Jan. I'm happy with my return and it has all been reinvested.

• For the rate the platform is growing at, I would say that is alright. I have invested £10,500 in December and my Portfolio value is now £14,000. In 5 months that is 25%. You seem to be going along at the same rate I am.
    I go for young players that are good, as-well as some MB players, and them some cheap players. I have a mixed Portfolio.

• @MrYaio Same as me or similar.

• Is everyone calculating profit the same way? Is there an accepted standard? I think I'd usually go for:
    portfolio value x 0.98 + cash balance - net deposits = profit
    But should the percentage profit then be based on your net deposits also? If so, then if you ever end up withdrawing the same as you deposited you won't be able to calculate a percentage (as it would be % of 0). Not that it matters all that much, was just ruminating.

• @BL__FI completely agree! My total percentage is at 50% but on what I put in to FI when I first joined it would be much higher, compared to that I invested more recently being much lower, each to their own I guess, I have been here 9 months now in total

• @BL__FI said in Portfolio return?:

Is everyone calculating profit the same way? Is there an accepted standard? I think I'd usually go for:
    portfolio value x 0.98 + cash balance - net deposits = profit
    But should the percentage profit then be based on your net deposits also? If so, then if you ever end up withdrawing the same as you deposited you won't be able to calculate a percentage (as it would be % of 0). Not that it matters all that much, was just ruminating.

I’m probably unusual by I track my weight average capital invested per day, and use that as the basis for calculating my % return. It gives a more realistic idea of how much money you’ve made off the money you invested.

E.g. if you put in £100 and make £50 over a month, that’s a 50% return per month. If you then put in another 900, your return would suddenly look like you’d only made £50 from £1k (or 5%) which is obviously not true.

• @NewUser129053 That sounds interesting but I'm afraid I'm not very mathematically minded (not great for an investor I know!) - in your example, what would be your actual % return for that month if you put the extra 900 in a week before the end of the month, for example?

• @BL__FI said in Portfolio return?:

@NewUser129053 That sounds interesting but I'm afraid I'm not very mathematically minded (not great for an investor I know!) - in your example, what would be your actual % return for that month if you put the extra 900 in a week before the end of the month, for example?

So the way I calculate it is:

£100 x 31 days = 3100
    £900 x 7 days = 6300

Total score = 9400 (3100+6300)
    Divide by the number of days since first investment = 9400 / 31 = £303.22

So the weight average capital for those 31 days would be £303.22

• @NewUser129053 Gotcha! Bit too much effort for me haha but I can see why it would be good for getting an accurate calculation!

• Yeah I think it’s one of those things you need to do from the start. I’ve got a spreadsheet that automatically does it for me, all I have to do is put in whenever I make a new deposit.

Would be hassle to go back and try to recreate it now though.

• I'm sitting at 52% up and I started in late December. So 5 months. Happy enough with that.