The youth scheme

• After reading an interesting thread on Cherki, I thought it might be interested to get the forums view on buying into youth. With the emphasis on PB it still feels a little tentative to invest in younger players (outside the obvious). Who do people think are a good shout at around £1 or lower. I'll kick off with two; Curtis Jones who I reckon will get more and more game time over the next 12 months and Aouchiche who has excellent vision and positioning.

• Zirkee is 64p. He was £2.83 at one time.

Will be interesting to see how we does at Parma.

• @NewUser469373

A couple of years back, Man Utd had that famous win over PSG with 5 kids in their team. Skip forward to now and those kids have either been loaned out or are fringe players.

Curtis Jones is only getting game time because of the injury list. I wouldn't be banking on him.

• @Dan-The-Man there is definitely an element of truth in that, but he is doing good things with the game time he is getting.

• @NewUser469373 said in The youth scheme:

@Dan-The-Man there is definitely an element of truth in that, but he is doing good things with the game time he is getting.

Hey look, if you believe he's a good buy, don't let me put you off. He could be the next Gerrard for all I know.

But...

He didn't force his way in to the team. Liverpool turned to him out of desperation. So skip forward a few months, to the return of Gomez and Van Dijk... Fabinho takes his place in middle of the park, then they have Thago, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Kieta, Ox and a transfer window.

Where does he fit next season? Maybe as a stand in for Milner?

• @Dan-The-Man said in The youth scheme:

A couple of years back, Man Utd had that famous win over PSG with 5 kids in their team. Skip forward to now and those kids have either been loaned out or are fringe players.

Kids at Utd are risky. Some will get to sit on the bench, but rarely get 90 minutes. Brandon Williams was over £2 at one point.

Greenwood is the success story. He was £9.95 (now £2.30), but has only earnt £0.11 in divs this year. He could be worth £10 again in the future, but it is a gamble. I think I'd rather bet on him to be first goal scorer the traditional way.

A young player getting game time at a smaller club and then attracting interest from a bigger club are the golden nuggets if you can find them.

A few youngsters will soar, but most will flop on the index.

• Unfortunately many potential great youngsters were released onto the index when instant sell was in place so were IPO'd at inflated prices - in an ideal world you would want to be picking them up under 80p so they were low risk with high upside.

Therefore the current situation with less enthusiasm for youth needs to hang around for a long time so that many new younger mainly foreign youngsters get added to the system at low prices then have to time to develop whilst sitting unwanted on the index so you can discover a gem.

• @Dan-The-Man they turned to him in desperation?? 🤦🏻 What are you talking about!! He is ahead of ox and Keith in the pecking order even when there fit, milners last season and he will take wijnaldums place when he leaves.

The first 3 in the middle when all fit going forward next season will be thiago, fabhino and hendo then Jones will be next in line and will get plenty of game time in the years to come.

They will nurture him like they did Trent not just just coz he’s class but for the home grown status in the squad what they have to have.

So please don’t say it’s out of desperation you sound absolutely pathetic!

• @Decafruby6

Is that you Mrs Jones?

I meant no offence to your son, he's clearly a talented lad and I'm sure when he's warming the bench next year for the big boys, he'll be learning plenty that he can take out on loan to his next club.

• @Dan-The-Man terrible come back! You’ve got nothing

• @Decafruby6

I've got more than you will have if you buy him at this price.

• @Dan-The-Man again fair estimation of the Liverpool squad having a healthy supply of midfielders. But, a few are getting on or moving on (Milner, Wijnaldum). I can see the Ox may be competition but he will start ahead of the Ox and definitely ahead of Keira at the moment. Thiago is always a dead cert when fit and Hendo although he does get injured at least once a season. Insofar as transfers go, it's gotta defence and probably a replacement for one of the front three. I think Curtis Jones is a sensible shout for pb growth but he is actually a bit pricey for potential. I own a few but am thinking mainly about those under a quid.

• @Dan-The-Man ok fellas, let's try and keep the conversation on football

• Curtis Jones looks a good young player, but I don't see him being first choice next season, so will be interesting to see if Liverpool want to keep him around the squad or loan him out for minutes. Phil Foden clearly very talented but it's taken him a few years to get a decent amount of starts, so it shows how tough it is to break into the teams at the very top and I don't see it being any quicker for Jones.

Could be a profitable punt on FI if he gets the odd chance and plays well, but I'm already sitting on a number of youth holds and I'm not in a rush to add Jones to the list, as he could still drop a few bit if his game time drops when everyone is fit again. Bit too much of a risk for me right now.

• @Mintyfresh on the basis of his performance against City he is already first choice. Got us out of trouble a couple of times and characteristically good on the ball. I'm not sure what the ney-sayers are seeing that I'm missing?

• @Honeylight I hold a small amount, but the problem with Zirkzee is that Parma plays with 4 3 3 (Just 1 striker) and there are Cornelius and Pellè in that position. My fear is that a team that risks to be relegated in serie B won’t give a lot of play time to a 2001

• @NewUser469373 not sure you're missing anything, I think most would agree he looks a good prospect. I just think there's a bit of doubt about his game time when Fabinho and Henderson return to midfield. Still impressive to be in the mix at 20 considering how good Liverpool have been over the past couple of years.

• @Mintyfresh fair point about Fabinho and Hendo to be likely contenders for first choice next season. Despite this season being a disaster zone in the premier League Jones is having a Stormer.

• @NewUser469373

@NewUser469373 said in The youth scheme:

@Mintyfresh on the basis of his performance against City he is already first choice. Got us out of trouble a couple of times and characteristically good on the ball. I'm not sure what the ney-sayers are seeing that I'm missing?

If the team were fit today, he wouldn't be in the line up and he's certainly not going to be at the Euro's. What's going to happen over summer, when he hasn't had a game for months?

He's already at Liverpool, so it's not like there's going to be transfer speculation to Man Utd, meanwhile there will be a lot of transfer speculation on who Liverpool are bringing in, which could very easily push him further down the pecking order.

Does it seem right that he's almost 5x the price of Fabinho?

• @Dan-The-Man I think the suggestion that the summer holidays will derail his quality is a bit far fetched. He is 20 already good enough to battle against City and has plenty of time to get better. If he continues on his current trajectory he will be better than Fabinho.