Selling deadwood to reinvest

• Hi, a relative newbie here, joined during Lockdown 1 as the German games got under way. Bought and sold a few in my early months, basically learning my way through trading.
    My port had a varied approach, ones for future, IPD's, upcoming transfers etc. I ploughed £2500 and see what happens.
    End of the summer came and personal events took over and I never really followed what was happening.
    I took note again at my port when the 'crash' occurred and despondently not looked since. My port is now 'worth' £1880 and I have many players and a few German players I'd like to get rid of and reinvest.
    When I look to sell my players now, eg one of my £1.82 players is now available to buy for only 80p, what's the point of me selling at such a loss? Likewise with Coutinho, bought for £3.35, is now available to buy at 72p!!
    So my idea of selling players to reinvest is actually pointless, is it not? Unless I take a whopping hit and come out with a £2000 deficit. I guess I sit and wait for the Football Index to return to the 'good ole days!'
    Apologies if this has been spoken about many times, but I had a really positive outlook in this platform, but it seems to have been incorrect. Please prove me wrong.

• No way would I sell Coutinho... why take a massive loss? Also what is the situation with him? Is he injured atm? Your telling me his price is not gunna go up in the next year?

This is what I don’t understand with some traders... it’s like there missing out on the fun etc, all my port is in red but no way am I selling up to take a massive loss. Sit tight an relax and think about your investment.

• @Dav No, no, not a chance am I even considering selling Coutinho. I used him as an example of his depreciation.
    I've got big Jhon Cordoba also, bought at 89p, now there is no instant sell on him and his buy price is 19p. Again, he is an example of a player I would have sold to reinvest.
    Guess I'm being impatient and want to be involved again in purchasing new players without stumping up new money.

• Well if you are buying to sell then even if you are selling low you'll be buying low as well.

Basically it's worth selling them if you think you can buy a player who will perform better than whoever you are selling in the future. If there is a recovery and your players go up 10% but another player goes up 20% then you would have been better off selling and buying.

Psychologically as well, selling everyone and buying new players will see all the red go and you might feel happier when you look at your portfolio.

• @Dav Barca are refusing to play him so they don't have to Liverpool 5 million that's the reason after a bit of research I'm jumping on him he will easy double in the summer as he is out of contract and will move on

• @Myles2521 said in Selling deadwood to reinvest:

@Dav Barca are refusing to play him so they don't have to Liverpool 5 million that's the reason after a bit of research I'm jumping on him he will easy double in the summer as he is out of contract and will move on

Oh shit I didn’t know this... shame on Barca that they have to do this to one of their own players. Shocking really, the guys 28 yrs old, 29 in the summer...

But I think your wrong as his contract is up in 2023 cuz he joined Barca in 2018 an signed a 5 year deal

• @GeoffS I get your point, however, my point of selling now is pointless, unless I accept a massive loss.
    What's your feeling of the players prices increasing to even 75% of what they were? I'm not overly confident. I have tried to involve friends and football lovers to the Football Index, but they have noted the huge deficits and rule changes in the platform of late, and it just doesn't ooze confidence amongst them.
    I found the platform a great place to have good fun and earn a bit via your football knowledge, but even though one can buy the players we all bought 6 months ago for 20% of what we paid, I don't see a recovery forthcoming to the extent we are close to recouping 75% of our investments.
    Maybe I'm too harsh and pessimistic and not fully clued up on the platform, but I hope I'm wrong.

• It depends on the player...some it may be better to take a loss and reinvest while others are worth hanging on to.

• @NewUser587028 Why not average down on any players who will do good over the next 12-24 months in your portfolio.

This game is all about patience and if you are able to put in a few quid each week while both buying some new players and averaging down on existing players then I am sure the fun will come back into it.

Personally, I prefer to add weekly amounts as opposed to lump sums as I find it far more beneficial.

Slow and steady can be boring but allows you to pick up that days/weeks discounts.

• Average down - all the way to zero.
    Cut your losses and let your profits run. Unfortuneately there are'nt any profits.

• @NewUser587028

To be honest I think it is unlikely that the majority of players will return to their previous valuations in the next 12 to 18 months. The caveat to that is of course that that is under the current system and dividends, if that all changed then the valuations would change as well.

However it's pointless looking at what you paid for a player in the past when making decisions going forward, those are sunk costs and should be irrelevant to determining future decisions. I appreciate it's a sickener to sell at a loss but all you should be doing is comparing current values.

If you hold player A and he is currently valued by the market at £1 and you value him at 50p then sell him. It doesn't matter if you paid £2 for him before. Then put that £1 into player B, who you might value at £1.25 but the market is only valuing at £1.

• @Myles2521 said in Selling deadwood to reinvest:

@Dav Barca are refusing to play him so they don't have to Liverpool 5 million that's the reason after a bit of research I'm jumping on him he will easy double in the summer as he is out of contract and will move on

Countinho is injured. Has been for some time. They were playing him every match pre injury.

• @NewUser587028 hold mate. You will be crystallising massive losses. They will recover with the market. But if you genuinely feel they are permanently rubbish now, and not likely to get in the team over the next few months- then sell and reinvest in someone else.
    Countinho is currently injured. He’s a very FI relevant player who is capable of big scores. He can comfortably win on a gold day. Just needs to stay fit. So he is one that should absolutely bounce back. 82p is nonsense.

• @Valhalla said in Selling deadwood to reinvest:

@Myles2521 said in Selling deadwood to reinvest:

Countinho is injured. Has been for some time. They were playing him every match pre injury.

It's true about the 5 mill. Try reading about things before pretending you know everything. You'd have a lot more credibility.

• @o_O said in Selling deadwood to reinvest:

@Valhalla said in Selling deadwood to reinvest:

@Myles2521 said in Selling deadwood to reinvest:

It's true about the 5 mill. Try reading about things before pretending you know everything. You'd have a lot more credibility.

I’m sorry, the irony that your have the lowest credibility of anyone on FI can’t be lost on you. 😂 Have you checked your reputation stat recently? And bearing in mind it resets every time you get banned, it would probably 5 times worse.
    Who rattled your cage anyway? I swear you troll my posts because you get bored and want some action. 😏 Did I say the £5 mill was wrong? I just stated he was being played every game until he got injured. Which is true. Relax champ and put some more cream on that pussy. 😉

• @Valhalla there’s just nothing likeable about him, so similar to mr. white, they hate people, and sexually frustrated aswel

• @Rocket-Ronnie "cream on that pussy" classic

• I’m having the same thoughts, I’ve got players like loftus cheek who I gambled might have a big season after coming back from injury and get into the england squad for the euros, can’t see it, had 100 shares in him at around £2.60 and now worth 40p or something silly so I guess that’s just one I’ll have to take as a bad gamble and maybe leave it.

Then I’ve got 100 shares in havertz + werner from when the German league was the place to go. Confident their prices will improve ( if the index improves ) but part of me wonders if I should just cash in at a loss and top up on someone like messi who is at least clawing money back in divs.

Like you I’ve got coutinho, and a few other similar players.

Just cannot decide whether I should take the loss on them and like I say above pump it into the goat, or just ride it out and hope these players have a good euros

• @Valhalla said in Selling deadwood to reinvest:

@NewUser587028 hold mate. You will be crystallising massive losses. They will recover with the market. But if you genuinely feel they are permanently rubbish now, and not likely to get in the team over the next few months- then sell and reinvest in someone else.
    Countinho is currently injured. He’s a very FI relevant player who is capable of big scores. He can comfortably win on a gold day. Just needs to stay fit. So he is one that should absolutely bounce back. 82p is nonsense.

crystalising losses doesn't matter. what you paid for a share does not matter. the only decision is; if I sell Coutinho, can I use the cash better than keeping it in him. id argue you could. no reason for Coutinho to go up in value anytime soon. wont be part of the euros and divs are king now.

• I would love to be able to sell my deadwood at a loss but no sell price at all for the shares I have in the ‘star of the future ‘ Ruben Vinagre. I would gladly sell for 10% of what he cost me.
    I know there are hundreds of players like him owned by punters ,but he is the one that has really bit me on the arse!