Three year rule

• Do you get a notification or something when you're approaching three years of holding the same future(s)?

• Great question - one that has been asked for the last 2 years. No answer from FI yet.

Three things will (may) happen.

1. You'll lose some futures overnight and you will be very angry

2. You'll get an email from FI with a list of futures which are about to expire well in advance of deadline dates

3. As number 2, but 24 hours before deadline dates leaving you no time to queue, just instant sell

Many traders have said, there's probably little chance you've got any futures which are 3 years old if you've been pretty active as it's first in first out when it comes to selling.

• OK, thanks. I was worried I'd missed some kind of announcement on this but evidently not. I've only been trading for a year or so, so I'm nowhere near three years on any futures just yet. However thinking long term, I'm holding futures in the likes of Phil Foden, Samuel Grandsir, Richarlison etc. etc. and these, for me, are players I'd like to hold for many years to come as I can only see their values increasing over time. I guess the only option in the medium is to eventually sell and then, if there's still growth potential, re-buy.

• It's ridiculous that this hasn't been answered yet. There must be some people who already have, or are very close to hitting the 3 year mark. What happens when the lad with £100k invested hits the 3 year mark and automatically all his shares are sold (for example) and he's left witha big cash balance....i imagine the 'FOOTIE' will take a bit of a hit surely, it's the equivalnet of someone withdrawing £100k.

It's a shame Old King COle didn;t answer this on the excellent FIG podcast.

There is no way they could just withdraw and keep your money, that would literally be legalised theft. Imagine if you got hit by a car, went to hospital, woke up 2 days later to find your account empty.

The lack of response to this 3 year question sometimes leads me to wonder if this is just one big old ponzi scheme.

• @NewUser87483 i think that lots of people who trade long to mid term.....so buying pietro pellegri or mason mount 6 months ago with teh intention of holding for 3 years minimum. I'm not interested in dividends so don;t trade much, i tend to buy injured or young players and look mid term for capital growth.....my portfolio will definietly have 3+ year holds.

• @Bernie-Madoff said in Three year rule:

@NewUser87483 i think that lots of people who trade long to mid term.....so buying pietro pellegri or mason mount 6 months ago with teh intention of holding for 3 years minimum. I'm not interested in dividends so don;t trade much, i tend to buy injured or young players and look mid term for capital growth.....my portfolio will definietly have 3+ year holds.

Well you cant have any 3+ year holds.

From an investment perspective long term would be 5 years plus. So really every football index hold is medium, short or super short.

• @mike778 you can hold a player for 9 years if you want, you just have to sell and buy back every 3. I disagree, There are definitely players you might want to hold for 5 or 6 years. A 16/17 year old player now might not mature until 24, with a steady increase in value over the 8 year time period it's a worthwhiel investment. There you go, that's an example of a long term hold, no?

I think people assume that everyone of FI is buying and selling players every minute of the day in order to earn divvies and get PBs. That just isn't the case and perhaps the reason that forums etc are frequented by people who do buy and sell at a great volume is because these people are looking at FI on a daily basis trying to pick up any bit of information. I'll be honest, i check my balance every day but maybe only 'trade' once a week or less. I imagine people who do similar probably do so because they don't have the time or inclination to be checking forums etc every day.....whereas if you are one of these traders who buys and sells on a daily basis you're more likley to spend time on forums and whatsapp groups?

@mike778 said in Three year rule:

@Bernie-Madoff said in Three year rule:

@NewUser87483 i think that lots of people who trade long to mid term.....so buying pietro pellegri or mason mount 6 months ago with teh intention of holding for 3 years minimum. I'm not interested in dividends so don;t trade much, i tend to buy injured or young players and look mid term for capital growth.....my portfolio will definietly have 3+ year holds.

Well you cant have any 3+ year holds.

From an investment perspective long term would be 5 years plus. So really every football index hold is medium, short or super short.