My Portfolio - Who should get the boot !!

• Hey Guys

Here are the current players that i am holding in my portfolio, who do you think is a bad investment....

• Messi
    • Neymar
    • Bailey
    • SMS
    • Griezmann
    • C Ronaldo
    • Isco
    • TAA
    • Depay
    • Lo Celso
    • Koulibaly
    • Mahrez
    • Pogba
    • Fekir
    • Bale
    • MBappe
    • Aouar
    • Rashford
    • PEA
    • Coutinho

Cheers

AndyP

• @AndyP32 I hold rashford and I would In some ways actually say rashford but I think he is one on that list with the biggedt potential to be huge, it just depends how long you are happy to wait for that. I have the same dilemma on a regular basis.

• These are the following players I would not buy that you hold, because they already have reached their maximum value in my eyes:
    • Messi
    • SMS
    • Griezmann
    • C Ronaldo
    • Isco
    • TAA
    • Depay
    • Lo Celso
    • Koulibaly
    • Mahrez
    • Fekir
    • Bale
    • PEA
    • Coutinho

• @HappyLarry59855
    Although I agree some of those you list are overpriced currently I would argue that almost none of them have reached max value given the expected overall growth of the platform and would single out Bale as one who certainly hasn’t. He went up to £8 after his CL final goals and post-match interview so it’s reasonable to expect he’ll jump dramatically again as soon as there’s a concrete transfer link, either this summer or in future transfer windows.

• @HappyLarry59855
    I know you’re more development and price-appreciation focussed but you’ve also ignored the dividend potential of a number of them

• The question is unanswerable unless we knew what u paid for them ....if u bought at 2.00 great if u paid 9 not so great.......but ad happily have all of them bar rashford if u bought 2 months or more ago

• @AndyP32
    It completely depends on how much you got each one for and what reasons you bought them for. There’s some good MB and PB potential in there and their prices will rise. If I had to pick bad investments I might say Mahrez if you fail to cash in at the right time and are stuck with him post transfer to City. Same could be said for Fekir. to Liverpool. You could also argue Messi is dodgy if you believe the rumours he plans to retire after the WC (I don’t).

• @Specksynder international retirement he ain't hanging his boots up yet😊

• @Pat-Hiscock
    Ah that would would be a lot more reasonable. I will try reading more than just one word in a headline in future

• @Specksynder Tielemans has gone from 94p to £1.72 for me which beats dividends. This is why I am now seeing greater value with young players now onstead.

• @HappyLarry59855 this has generally always been my strategy, the beauty is doing it on a consistent basis.

• Very true that price appreciation can offer great ROI however for every tielemans that rise 100% there will be a player who get lost and stays flat for a long time or goes into the red
    A mix of those players I believe they have potential and will rise (timing is key) and good MB and PB holds work really well for me, I have missed loads of spikes on players I wanted to buy and waited for the right time missing the boat however the funds are unfortunately not unlimited and choices need to be made
    PS HappyLarry, Tielemans is still way off your 300% return target I suppose?

• @HappyLarry59855
    I’m not criticising your strategy at all, just pointing out that dividends must be taken into account when evaluating the players mentioned in the thread

• @Pat-Hiscock said in My Portfolio - Who should get the boot !!:

The question is unanswerable unless we knew what u paid for them ....if u bought at 2.00 great if u paid 9 not so great.......but ad happily have all of them bar rashford if u bought 2 months or more ago

Interested to know your reasoning on why no buy price makes the question unanswerable, because in my mind it's irrelevant.. If you've held a player for 2 months and down 10% would you really hold on when you could use that cash to buy a player you are certain will rocket? The loss to portfolio value when getting out of a bad trade is spread + commission, whether you're up on him or down on him makes no difference.

Genuinely interested to know you're reasoning as I know there's lots of opinions and strategies. I do consider buy price in one scenario and that's when hoping for a quick flip.

• ISCO

Way overpriced because of some flakey links to Man City ages ago.

I just cant see him moving

• I have Isco.

Integral part of Spain team.

Currently 7p down on him but holding in the hope he has a good WC.

Also he's highly rated by new Madrid Madrid manager so would expect him to play more next season.

Would I buy him now? No.
    If you hold him already I would keep for a little longer.

• @Pierrey2129 said in My Portfolio - Who should get the boot !!:

@Pat-Hiscock said in My Portfolio - Who should get the boot !!:

The question is unanswerable unless we knew what u paid for them ....if u bought at 2.00 great if u paid 9 not so great.......but ad happily have all of them bar rashford if u bought 2 months or more ago

If you've held a player for 2 months and down 10% would you really hold on when you could use that cash to buy a player you are certain will rocket? The loss to portfolio value when getting out of a bad trade is spread + commission, whether you're up on him or down on him makes no difference.

I’m confused. Aren’t you already answering the question? So you’re saying it makes no difference, but if he were to be down when he could put it elsewhere then he should sell? Surely not if the value makes no difference though?

In terms of asking a forum who to sell, you can’t answer unless you know their situation and what was paid to be of any use. I’ve seen other posts ask the same thing but to just put a name and say ‘should I sell?’ without knowing their portfolio situation, value and reasons for buying, you can’t really respond. That’s my take on it anyway haha

• Purchase price is irrelevant. You need to make a decisions based on the current price. As a rule of thumb:

• If you believe the price will drop, sell.

• If you believe the price will rocket, hold.

• If you believe the price will stagnate or rise slowly, you need to decide whether that capital could make you more money if reinvested elsewhere.

Basing a decision around the purchase price is called a framing effect fallacy. Eg.

Peter bought at £1 and price is now £5. He's happy to ride out a 50p drop because he sees that he remains in a big overall profit.

Paul bought at £4.80 and price is now £5. He's annoyed by a 50p drop because it takes him into net loss.

Actually the sensible decision for both Peter and Paul - if they anticipated the drop - was to sell at £5. They literally had something worth a fiver each; selling at £4.50 is therefore a sub-optimal result for both of them.

• @playingcards1
    I think all other factors need to be taken into consideration. The main being, what is the reason they were purchased in the first place and is there a reason to continue that hold or have you gotten from it what you wanted? I don't think purchase pricing is irrelevant though as that can link to my first point.
    At the end of the day, you should buy based on your own opinions and should sell based on your own opinions as everyone has different strategies. You need to tell everyone all information to help you if you want help. But my recommendation would be to stick, while others would say to sell and others would say to hold.
    Maybe worded as "who out of these players would you buy at their current price and who from this list do you think are as high as they are likely to go and would sell based on their current price and possible future value?" is better haha