Football index as a career?

• Recently I've been thinking about the possibility of trading on football index as a career and I've come to the conclusion that it would only be viable if football index increased the amount of futures which could be purchased in a single transaction. This way an individual could invest upwards of £1000 at once and of course the profits would be higher. What are you thoughts about this? Could football index trading ever become a career?

• This was discussed a while ago and the general consensus was yes, it is do-able.

But I think it would make for a rather miserable life long term, with little or no real world human interaction. Every day spent trawling internet news sources for the latest info, then buying or selling futures accordingly.

It’s also very risky, because any pro trader would need to keep a very large sum of money invested permanently in FI. What happens if FI go into administration or the market collapses?

• @ocs123 ...very good question on the end mate, whats happen if...??

• Agreed. I wouldn't recommend for anyone to put their pensions/life savings or any money they can't afford to lose in to Football Index. That includes packing in a job where you rely on the money. Obviously everyone's financial situations are different and one man's £100 could be another man's £100,000. But I don't think you can go wrong with the philosophy - don't put in any more money that you can't afford to lose.

• Its basically gambling.... there are professional gamblers so yes. Not recommended though.

If they allowed you to trade 1000 futures in one go then you could buy 1000 of a player get an immediate rise of about 10p and IS all 1000 for a profit. So thats a definite no no.

The 100 limit is because its approx how many trades generate a price change so setting it at a 100 stops arbitrage move like the above.

• I would imagine it would depend on the growth of the platform. I remember Betfair in the early days and believe this could mirror in terms of scale.

If that turns out to be the case then yes there’s definatly a career here.

• so long as your cash invested is money you could afford to lose (that being you'd be very very miffed perhaps for quite some time if you lost it but it wouldn't crumple your life) and you have some emergency back up funds to buy you time if it didn't work out then yes. If you believe in the platform then you definitely could. Plus you could go back to a job again in the future if it didn't work out.

• @mike778 I think the line between gambling and trading in this instance is quite fine. I for one see it as investing / trading rather than gambling. The definition of gambling is a game of chance. FI is for sure a game of chance just as the stock market might be to an amateur , but it is also a skill of learning predictable patterns and cycles that can be developed just like trading stocks or crypto which pushes the line more over to trading / investing for me. Sticking a bet on at a bookie is a clear gamble plain and simple but this platform to me is a investment platform where increased profits correlate with improved skill and knowledge levels.

• @Mr-Matt said in Football index as a career?:

@mike778 I think the line between gambling and trading in this instance is quite fine. I for one see it as investing / trading rather than gambling. The definition of gambling is a game of chance. FI is for sure a game of chance just as the stock market might be to an amateur , but it is also a skill of learning predictable patterns and cycles that can be developed just like trading stocks or crypto which pushes the line more over to trading / investing for me. Sticking a bet on at a bookie is a clear gamble plain and simple but this platform to me is a investment platform where increased profits correlate with improved skill and knowledge levels.

True to a large extent. But your players can rip their knee open in training , have a move to china and so on. Its a bit blurred but its still gambling.

• @mike778

A player suffers a drop in performance. A company suffers a drop in profits
    A player leaves for China. A company delists from a stock exchange
    A player rips knee open in trading. A company gets shock news and a 90% drop in share price
    A player gets a career ending injury. A company goes bankrupt
    A player dies. A company ceases trading
    A player is murdered. A Rogue trader kills a company (Nick leesonesque)
    etc

Different terminology, different rule book but the similarities to me are very evident. You're correct this is a gambling platform regulated by the gambling commission but with a trained skill level, the actual concept of FI for me moves far away from gambling and into the arena of trading / investing

There's clearly 2 camps in FI. Those that believe like you it's gambling, and those like me who believe this is trading / investing. Who's right or wrong isn't important but I found personally the paradigm shift and realisation that occurred for me from seeing this platform as an investment rather than gambling completely shifted my psychology which in turn improved my decisions and behaviour and downstream from that the resulting profits and cash flow from this platform have improved significantly.

• @mike778 said in Football index as a career?:
    If they allowed you to trade 1000 futures in one go then you could buy 1000 of a player get an immediate rise of about 10p and IS all 1000 for a profit. So thats a definite no no.

How? 2% would take you way below and that's not including the spread?

• I'm managing to keep myself in beer money

That's all you need in life eh ;-)

• If someone has a large enough portfolio. E.g. £100k and is returning £2k dividends per month plus any profits from daily trading then what’s to stop someone doing it as a career?

Obviously you can’t rely on a certain level of dividends forever as they aren’t guaranteed, so it would be wise to diversify investment/income and have back up funds.

• @Greg Buy 1000 shares of a player for £1.
    Cost £1000.

Price rises by 10p.
    New value £1.10 and £1100.

Instant sell at £1.05 you get £1050.

Comission on this would be £21.

Profit of £29 instantly.

Would break the system.

• @Ozzlebert yeah try that n let us all know how it goes ;)

• @Mr-Matt

The fundamental difference is that FI is a limited company. If it goes bust, your investment is lost or returns a few pennies in each pound.

The whole of a stock exchange is far less likely to capitulate. Yes, one or two companies might go bust costing you part of your portfolio, but whole exchange is unlikely to fail.

• @John-Renwick it was a response to an above suggestion. I was saying why it wouldn't work.

• @Ozzlebert I know that, I was on your side saying... Yeah try that.. I got the point of your thread lol

• @ocs123 said in Football index as a career?:

@Mr-Matt

The fundamental difference is that FI is a limited company. If it goes bust, your investment is lost or returns a few pennies in each pound.

The whole of a stock exchange is far less likely to capitulate. Yes, one or two companies might go bust costing you part of your portfolio, but whole exchange is unlikely to fail.

Think I'm correct in saying that the money we invest is held in a separate ring fenced account from the money we pay in commission. FI pays dividends and for marketing/staff costs/other overheads from the second pot

• @ocs123 It's a very good point you make and I agree with you which goes back to the original rule of investing of only invest what you're willing to lose. It could go bust you're right but based on the fact it's almost cleared the key 3 year point (where most start ups fail), the positive history, the stable now, the exciting future plans, the trustworthy management team, the strengthening marketing campaign, the planned heavy investment in the platform, the potential growth in this market niche, how existing users are raving fans to the point of making podcasts on youtube through pure love of the product, the fact that customer retentions are very strong and winnings continue to get reinvested, and the fact that the product concept is just terrific with not a single direct competitor, I'm very comfortable with placing a decent wedge into this product as if anything I think it's more likely to go the other way and get bought out by a bigger company than end up going to shit. In fact if I were able to invest directly into the company on the stock market I would....but sadly I can't : (

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.