Understanding the basics

• Hi I’m new to this so I deposited £20 to see if it is for me but so far I’ve been doing awful I keep missing out and When i do make a profit for example £2.00 from a few shares off Robben I get screwed over by commision. But that was a lesson learnt to be able to calculate the 2% and 1p when selling. But i also need help with the Twitter business. A lot of people tell me to keep up to date with Twitter feed but i dont really know what im supposed to look out for... Anyone help? thanks

• @NewUser168325 I buy younger players with high PB scores. Look at Football Index Edge. Then see which players are good value with high PB or MB.

• With regards to twitter, search #footballindex

I've got that as a saved search on my 3rd party app so I can see all tweets including that #tag in their own column - I only follow a handful of FI related handles on twitter. It's normally busier on non-match days tbh

• @NewUser168325 I've been on since June last year and very rarely go to Twitter. Unfortunately it's double edged, Twitter is abused for 'pump + dump,' meaning someone will buy 100s of a player and then Tweet about how it's just been discovered this guy is Ronaldo's love child and sure to outshine his father etc. etc (pump) once the price increases they sell off (dump) their holding for a tidy profit leaving all their Twitter followers in the red, unfortunately a lot of them will then see the quick decrease and also IS at a loss.

You've done the right thing by going in slowly, don't worry about 'missing out,' this used to drive me crazy until I realised there are potential bargains every day once you get used to finding them. Plus it's a great sign that you're already recognising players capable of growth.

• @NewUser168325

Hey, welcome to the platform. You have done the right thing, keep asking questions ...

We will point you in the right direction.

The main thing to understand is that everybody on here has the same goal = To make money.

This means that if I'm making money, somebody else is losing money. Which often results in the aforementioned 'pump and dump' crowd taking advantage of the newbies.

Out of interest, can you tell me your most recent negative purchases, and I can hopefully try and explain my belief as to why they have gone wrong ... and hopefully in the process, you will pick up a few tips.

• @NewUser168325 said in Understanding the basics:

Hi I’m new to this so I deposited £20 to see if it is for me but so far I’ve been doing awful I keep missing out and When i do make a profit for example £2.00 from a few shares off Robben I get screwed over by commision. But that was a lesson learnt to be able to calculate the 2% and 1p when selling. But i also need help with the Twitter business. A lot of people tell me to keep up to date with Twitter feed but i dont really know what im supposed to look out for... Anyone help? thanks

@NewUser168325 said in Understanding the basics:

Hi I’m new to this so I deposited £20 to see if it is for me but so far I’ve been doing awful I keep missing out and When i do make a profit for example £2.00 from a few shares off Robben I get screwed over by commision. But that was a lesson learnt to be able to calculate the 2% and 1p when selling. But i also need help with the Twitter business. A lot of people tell me to keep up to date with Twitter feed but i dont really know what im supposed to look out for... Anyone help? thanks

Most players are growing so would be useful to know who you have missed out on. Avoid chasing rises. For example if a player has jumped 50p then people may profit take leading to a drop. If you have missed the rise, it may be better to keep away and look for another player.

Over-trading can be a problem. Instead of panicking and selling on a bad performance, maybe hold onto them until they reach a price you want to sell at.

Twitter was essential but less so now and there are various other ways of keeping up with the community. Index Gain is the best free resource. Down the line you can look at Noir's data but will have to pay a quid for that which is 5% of your budget so best to use the free resources for now.

• @HappyLarry59855 hes got £20 deposited no point looking at edge at £6.49 a month. With that level invested you'd struggle to make my £1 a month product worth while. £100 down is minimum to be looking at data products

• @NewUser168325 twitter can be useful in letting you know if big things coming up like ipos or trader events. It also can help with transfers etc.

Generally recommend ignoring accounts who say buy this guy especially if followed by guaranteed to rise in value.

• @Noirx4 said in Understanding the basics:

@NewUser168325 twitter can be useful in letting you know if big things coming up like ipos or trader events. It also can help with transfers etc.

Generally recommend ignoring accounts who say buy this guy especially if followed by guaranteed to rise in value.

And ignore anyone on here too- almost everyone pedals their own players in a "OMG hAve YoU HEarD aBOUt tHIS GuY BUy bUY BuY" manner.

Do your own research (using @Noirx4 data), listen to the FI podcast and chat to your mates who are on the index (or GET them on it).

• @johnboywalker hi thanks for taking an interest i to my question. So far i havent been usuing twitter to start off ive just been usuing live performances. Yesterday when there was a lot of BPL games when I saw that Monreal scored for Arsenal I hit 3 shares for him only to find out he didnt even move in price. And ending lose money because of commision and stuff. So should i definitely not be just looking into live performances?

• @NewUser168325 live performances is one way to go

BUT

1. you need to be bloody quick im talking first 20 seconds post event.

2. You need to understand the index some players will shoot up on an in game event others will barely move

• Try and predict who you think you will do well before the event rather than buy them after the event, and think a bit more long term. Of course you won't always predict correctly but players will have plenty of chances over the season to pay off your prediction. If others also predict they will do well then their price will go up.

• @Indexical
    Eg. I might buy a striker now who I think will score goals in the Europa league group stages rather than one who just scored at the weekend

• @NewUser168325

I very rarely buy players in game ... partly because the dividend window is already closed for the day so even if monreal finished top scorer on the PB, you would not have received any dividends.

Now, let's say you bought monreal on Wednesday, because you were of the opinion that arsenal had an easy game coming up, and he was likely to be attacking most of the game. I'm pretty sure by Saturday his price would have risen a few pence (due to like minded individuals investing).

Monreal then scores a goal, and his price starts to rise further (due to punters like you investing) ... if I was in this position, I would be sticking monreal up for sale, and looking to cash in on his recent price rise. Therefore I take your money, and the recent investor starts to see red ...

The only time I look to invest 'in play' is if a player receives a significant injury ... think Coman on Friday night. He has butter ankles and will likely be out for several weeks. As soon as he hit the deck, punters started to quick sell him, he dropped about 30p in a matter of minutes.

So quick quick quick sell him quickly (lol), and invest in one of the other players who will benefit from the injury. Ribery/robben/gnabry.

Hope that makes sense.

• @NewUser168325 your more than Welcome to Join my facebook group 350 members for advice and i dont allow tips without any substance. Also links to over 40 strategy videos

link below
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/footballindextradingjournal/

• @TradingJournal Thanks for the opportunity just joined!

• @johnboywalker I see so even stuff like injuires and transfer deals are a big investment other then just goals. Thanks for this information!

• @Indexical Yes It was quite annoying I only found about this app only until after the world cup after losing 100s of ££ In bets aha. Thanks for this information

• @Noirx4 Yes this was the biggest one for me, whenever I’m out i was hoping BBC notifications would be fast so i can buy a player but acter multiple tries I see that I would have to be atleast watching it on a tv. Thanks for this!

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.