When is the best time to sell?

• Been playing FI for 3 weeks now and still not none the wiser as to when to actually sell short term punts.

FI FAQ says trading is closed between 12 and 6am - is 6am the best time to sell - considering you need to be holding post 12am to collect any dividends?

I hate waking up each morning to a sea of red. When is everyone selling? Bang on 6.01am?

Link to FI FAQ: https://footballindex.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203781572-What-Are-the-Opening-Hours-for-the-Market-

• It would depend on your strategy. Personally I'm a buy a hold type of trader so short term trading on FI doesn't appeal to me. I sell when I hit my price target.

• @The-Chartist do you use 30p+ drops as top up opportunity?

• @NewUser87483

Generally speaking no, I wouldn't have such a hard and fast rule as that.

For me IF I was going to trade a trend, providing all the other factors were in place, like not being over priced, game time, PB potential and an easy run of fixtures coming up, then sure buying on dips is a great way to trade a trend. But it's not personally how I approach FI markets.

• Don't buy long term, there's no stability in the football index anymore. Snap players up a day or two before games and sell quick if they don't come close to winning pb

• @NewUser51524

Yeah becuase when I bought Alcantara at 1.50 if I'd have sold him a few days later I'd have made soooo much money. Stop reposting this dribble...

• Yeah I'm in profit on a few long term holds. But not for long. Serious major crash is coming and I'll be gone. I have nothing to gain from saying this I'm angry the market is starting to collapse.

• Once penny stocks are in then there should be some stability and a chance to make money from long-term holds. Its a bit ropey now but if there is a crash then its a good chance to buy cheap.

If media players dip when the new players are released, I'll be in. Even if their price dips then their potential yield (hence true value) shouldn't be affected.

• @The-Chartist

I have similar strategy as you I am in for longer term investment.

I take it the reason why the prices go mad is everyone buys after someone gets close to winning PB.
    Do these buyers still get the PB as they need to be held for 24 hours?

• @NewUser90318

Honestly some of the money being traded on FI is crazy! I don't use the term fickle lightly, but at half time I saw someone sell 100 futures of Kevin De Bryne! Only for him to go on and score a wonder goal and make performance buzz!

And in that case I don't believe that person gets the PB. They have to hold them for 24hrs before the payout, so midnight before the payout - as far as I understand it anyway so someone can please correct me if I'm wrong.

• @The-Chartist said in When is the best time to sell?:

@NewUser90318

Honestly some of the money being traded on FI is crazy! I don't use the term fickle lightly, but at half time I saw someone sell 100 futures of Kevin De Bryne! Only for him to go on and score a wonder goal and make performance buzz!

And in that case I don't believe that person gets the PB. They have to hold them for 24hrs before the payout, so midnight before the payout - as far as I understand it anyway so someone can please correct me if I'm wrong.

People doing crazy things is good for people who don't.

• @mike778

Amen to that!

• @The-Chartist said in When is the best time to sell?:

@NewUser90318

you are right, you need to hold for 24h although that might be changing. I think people are trading for the price increase of winning a PB rather than the payout. People over-value winning dividends (partly for the 'game' element I think) which is good for those who don't.

• @mike778

True if you're buying big and the player rises substantially in the build up to a game, those gains can often be more than the divi payout and so they sell while the price is still high.

• Not simply because a player doesn't win PB one week. Especially the best players like Messi, neymar, dybala, thiago etc. Remember, they will play another game a few days later, and because they are the best players they will have the best chance of winning. You will only end up losing more on commission...

• @Jimmeh said in When is the best time to sell?:

Not simply because a player doesn't win PB one week. Especially the best players like Messi, neymar, dybala, thiago etc. Remember, they will play another game a few days later, and because they are the best players they will have the best chance of winning. You will only end up losing more on commission...

I completely agree... short term trading is not my bag

• With an international break coming up there's going to be loads of bargains on PB players who don't win MB. I'm topping up already and will continue to do so...hard to know when the prices will hit rock bottom but it doesn't hugely matter on a long term basis