Game winning goal points

• Please reduce GWG to 20 points - I know you want people to buy and sell fairly regularly but the impact one goal can have on overall score is just too much. This, combined with the increased payouts coming in November and opening up PB to the squad is making the day-day trading extremely volatile.

• Completely agree. Look how stupid the following situation is:

• Player A scores the opener for 1-0
    • Player B scores the second for 2-0

If the game ended now Player B gets 40, however...

• Player B scores an own goal for 2-1

This action now gives Player B -30 for the og but 40 for the gwg bonus, for a total of 50. This means Player B is effectively awarded 10 points for scoring an og. This is farcical!

• The problem is though this changes the goalposts and makes goal scorers less valuable in relation to passers. People who bought players on the basis that they score goals would rightly be aggrieved if it was reduced.

The rules are what they are .... play to them. Players who score more goals in teams who win games are more likely to get the bonus. Its a bit odd the way they are awarded but swings and roundabouts - sometimes it works for you and sometimes it doesn't.

• @mike778

Could you please let us know where we can see a list of how the points are awarded please???

• @mike778 yes the rules are what they are but I think it's partly to blame for the volatility because it makes PB winners much harder to predict, and if they want it to become less volatile (maybe they don't) then something needs to change.

All of my PB players are good goalscorers, and I don't think reducing the gwg points would harm their values. In fact I think increasing the predictability somewhat would only support the growth of player values. Goalscorers would still have a clear advantage because scoring a goal is worth 40pts, an assist is only worth 10. Anyway, Is the best player always the one that scores the goal? No, so why should the performance buzz winner always be a goal scorer.

I'm trying to think about the long term stability of player values in the market, but do understand why people wouldn't want any more changes at this stage, I've been burned pretty badly by some of them myself.

• @Blue-Python Exactly, from a footballing performance perspective it is counterintuitive. Even if it wasn't an own goal, the first goal was no less important than the second to the outcome of the match (you could even argue that it was more important).

• The rules are what they are and traders have been building their portfolios on this basis, no more changes please

• I initially assumed GWG would actually mean Game winning goal.. i.e. if it was a draw and a player scores the actual winner. Not like how it is now where it's 5-0 and the other team nets one in... making the second goal the GWG. But Hey ho, it is what it is.

Removing it won't make much difference to strikers, but to midfielders and defenders it will make winning PB much more predictable. Perhaps not what is wanted by FI. Which afterall, let's be fair, they need people to hold and sell a larger portfolio if they are to continue as a business.

It is what it is.

• @Sagenode Yes this is the point, it wouldn't affect strikers much but at least would mean a defender doesn't necessarily have to score a gwg to win PB (defenders primary role is to defend after all). If it ends up that goalscorers win PB in every position pretty much every game day it will make a mockery of the whole 'performance' buzz concept. I can see why this is a good thing for FI revenues (at least in the short term). I guess we will see what happens after Nov 1, but in the long term there needs to be some predictability to keep PB interesting and a sustainable investment strategy.

• I don't have a problem if they change the methodology. If a team wins 4-1 with the loser getting a consolation then GWG should be the first scorer not the second scorer. Like people have said its illogical that a late consolation changes who got the GWG. However they cannot ..

a) reduce the frequency of GWGs
    b) reduce the points per GWG

Either of these reduces the value of goal-scorers. This is real money, you can't do that.

• @Jimmeh said in Game winning goal points:

@Sagenode Yes this is the point, it wouldn't affect strikers much but at least would mean a defender doesn't necessarily have to score a gwg to win PB (defenders primary role is to defend after all). If it ends up that goalscorers win PB in every position pretty much every game day it will make a mockery of the whole 'performance' buzz concept. I can see why this is a good thing for FI revenues (at least in the short term). I guess we will see what happens after Nov 1, but in the long term there needs to be some predictability to keep PB interesting and a sustainable investment strategy.

Why does there need predictability across the board ? It works pretty well now in that forwards are pretty predictable, midfielders less so and defenders will be pretty random once the squad comes in.

You have a choice - pay more for a forward with relatively predictable PBs or take a punt on a defender who will have a much greater % return if they win a PB but its anyone's guess whether they will ever win a PB.

• @mike778 weren't you around when they changed the original points system they proposed for PB? I think goals were worth less (20 per goal)

• @Jimmeh said in Game winning goal points:

@mike778 weren't you around when they changed the original points system they proposed for PB? I think goals were worth less (20 per goal)

Yeah but they were pretty clear then it was proposed and speculative trades based on the scoring system were not FIs fault.

• I agree the rules are set so play to them. Moving the goalposts will drive investors away as people can lose out because of it.

I don't like the bonus points for a game winning goal. All goals are the same, in a 2-1 win the first goal is worth as many as the second. Also, what about game winning saves/tackles etc. Its just harder to determine because goals are black and white.

That said, see my opening paragraph.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.