Selling (Confused Newbie)

• I can't get my head around the selling of shares!!!!

If I have say 50 shares that I bought at £1 and the sell price goes to £1.20 and I want to sell, surely it's better to IS as i'll get that price (-2% comm)

Is selling to market just used for a price you want say £1.25 a share?

• @NewUser146744

No market selling will put them up for £1.20. But you’re dependent on finding a buyer, and the price may change (up or down, depending on demand) before your shares reach the front of the queue and are snapped up.

• if you are selling someone cheap ie less than a pound I would just IS as its a quick exit and a small spread. For the more expensive players I would be reluctant to instant sell as a lot of these are in constant demand anyway so the sale queue doesnt tend to take too long. You will save a lot of money over time though selling to market

• If you IS, they will sell at the stated "sell" price.

If you add to the sell queue, they will sell at the "buy" price (whatever that is at the point they sell).

The simple way to think about it is that IS usually costs you the spread (circa 5%) plus commission (2%). Selling to the market via the sell queue just costs commission (2%) - but there is no way of knowing how long the sale will take to go through (could be a few minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months, depending on how in demand the player is).

• @ocs123 Ah....so the sell price when selling to market is the BUY price and the sell price is just for IS sales

That makes more sense now :-)