Players to avoid and why

• Having been on here for a month now, I often see people recommending players to buy (to pump the price of their quite obvious investment 😆).

So, I thought I'd ask the forum about players NOT to buy and reasons why not?

• @ScouseSte

Old players. Anyone over the age of 35; and personally I get anxious when they’re 30+.

When decline happens, it can happen quickly. Two of the most expensive players on the Index a few years ago were Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Wayne Rooney. Now they’re pennies.

A lot of people have over invested in the old boys and got stung.

• yes, I don't own anyone over 27 so that's something I've sunbconscously adopted 👍🏻

• MESSI 2nd highest in price and over 30 and I still think he his worth value if not more. Always in the media, 2 years left on his contract (I think) possibility of it been extended. Still has a decent 4 years in him. Just my opinion. Although there is risk with most over 30s. Messi still good value.

• @Ash88 said in Players to avoid and why:

MESSI 2nd highest in price and over 30 and I still think he his worth value if not more. Always in the media, 2 years left on his contract (I think) possibility of it been extended. Still has a decent 4 years in him. Just my opinion. Although there is risk with most over 30s. Messi still good value.

It's definately an affordability issue there for me with the likes of Messi. If he was around £4 or £5 a share then I'd certainly consider a few but as it is he's far too expensive for my current small investment

• Yeh I don’t have the biggest of portfolio. But I try get messi when I can. Not saying wife wears pants in my house but I had one rule on FI and that was only money I can put in is what I win in bets lol. Usually do a tenner a week on betting so any winners I try get at least couple of messi. Just hope I don’t wake up one morning with the headline retirement for messi

• @Ash88 yea for your sake I also hope that too!
    I currently only own six players. It's a pretty high risk strategy but once this 30 day trial is over and we are clearer on the future for FI, I'm going to start depositing again.
    Ideally I only want a maximum of 10 players at any one time

• You need to know their role in the team.

If they’re a holding midfielder I’d generally steer clear - they’re unlikely to win PB as they won’t get many goals/assists and as a result probably won’t win any MB.

I say that with a caveat though - Everton signed Andre Gomes from Barca on loan in the summer and he is a deep lying midfielder, however I know he’s going to be a regular in the Everton first team for the rest of the season so bought a few futures a while back. Made his debut on sky yesterday and his price has gone up and I can see it sneaking up a bit higher as the season goes on.

There’s no right or wrong player to go for, just make sure you buy them for your own reason and not because someone else told you to.

• I can see lookman edging out Walcott in that Everton team also.

• I have a general rule of thumb... Buy only 18-30 attacking midfielder or striker but I do sometimes break it in the case of Pogba for example who brings a lot of media attention or on someone like Rabiot, De Ligt or Ruben Dias who are eyeing big transfer moves.

On who I certainly wouldn't buy... Goalkeepers... Players over 30 (although sometimes there can be value in both)... One club men, that boring, solid, dependable, reliable Mark Noble kind of footballer... Sometimes you can find value in a 'cheap player' so I would never write off any position (other than Goalkeeper until we 'finally' have dividends) but there's a certain type of footballer who not to go for and those consistent hard working under-appreciated ever-reliable kiss the badge fans favourites are usually a no no for me...

• @Tom77 agree long term, but for this season I still think Walcott will get more minutes. At the moment Lookman is a very effective impact sub, I can see him getting some important late goals/assists as the season goes on.