Advice please

• Hi, I put 100 quid in last month. Made a few bad buys that I have sold since, currently with a portfolio worth about 92 quid.

1)I'm struggling to really understand how to make money. I know long term you could hope players value increases and sell. For example I hold 2 mbappes, he has risen nearly 50p. But when to sell?

2)the dividends seem so low. Also there is no way of knowing who has earnt what? Fi seem very poor at being transparent in this area. Do you ever buy a player just for g and a? After 30days is it best to sell as they can't earn anymore?

1. is it common for people who are making money to buy players and then sell them soon after?

Considering the IS is lower price and 2% commission im just getting stung so far. I would like to develop a decent strategy for seeing regular withdrawals before putting more money in.

I have trimmed down my portfolio and hold the below (or similar)

I currently have
    Mbappe x2
    Andre silva x 6
    Maddison x3
    Trossard x4
    Neves x6
    Sensi X1
    Countino x4
    Digne x 1

• I've only been on here a few months and the past 3 weeks have been the worst for me. I've got 800 in and at only £2 up. I was £30 in profit. The players you have are decent. I wouldn't buy into this g&a thing as it's all about timing and unless you 've got time to watch every game and watch FI I would stay away as it's easy to get burnt,hence my £28 drop in the last few weeks albeit I have earnt £6 back in the dividends but still.... keep topping up as much as you can afford and plan for the long term! Do research before buying and 🤞 after the split you should see a turn around in your fortunes if not before!

• Hi,

Thanks for your advice.

What do most people do though? Wait until players have grown in value then IS? I notice IS is much lower price than market sell.

I note that none of my players are likely to get MB aside from Mbappe.

I also can't find any way to research players PB history?

• There have been a lot of threads dealing with strategy in a flat market. Here's a couple below. If you read through them, there's plenty of good advice:

https://forums.footballindex.co.uk/topic/4202/gave-up-twice

https://forums.footballindex.co.uk/topic/4261/long-term-objectives-and-growth-plan

• You’ll find most people on here are long term investors who aren’t looking to withdraw x amount per month. Instead most of us are looking 12+ months ahead and any money made is reinvested.

Your portfolio is decent enough - patience is key. This platform has huge potential providing you can sit tight and not tinker too much.

How much would you expect to be withdrawing per month from a £100 portfolio?

I set myself a bottom line average monthly growth target of 3% with anything more than that considered a bonus. Share splits and moving into new countries should see actual growth eclipse this figure.

• There are data products available (all of which are now paid for I believe), which details previous pb/Mb wins, pb scores etc.

Good value is noirx4 data product at just £1 a month. Message him and he’ll let you know the details

Stick it out, patience is the key. Right now the whole market is stagnant/dropping a little. It’s part of market cycle/people withdrawing becuase they need money for Xmas etc. Hold out until jan and you should see some good rises again.

• I treat it like a separate bank/savings account. 12month minimum if I can afford to keep it in that long.

• I too started last month with £100. I have grown that by around 3.5% over the 34 days I have been on here so lower than I'd hoped but the general consensus seems to be that November has been tough.

I have futures in 20+ players with only one of them being a top 200. Most of mine are 75p-£1.50 who I expect to grow. I have had some bad luck (Rob Holding injury last night and Sergio Reguilon injury a few weeks back) but also made some nice profit on players that has more than made up for that.

I haven't used IS once. I have tried to sell when they are at a peak, I am happy with the profit and they are still in demand. This has worked well so far with the exception of Sensi who I bought for 69p per future, sold for around 95p and he is now around £1.20.

I have maybe 4 players in my portfolio who are red and I am genuinely worried about. The other 18-20 I am confident that although some of them are red now, they are good investments and will go green. Be confident in your purchases. Before you buy a player ask why you are buying him and how do you think he will make you money.

I have made about 80p on dividends so far and it isn't something I am really chasing. Most of my purchases are players I think will become profitable either in January, Summer 2019 or beyond.

The share split sounds exciting and I am already looking at some more pricey players to jump on.

One thing I have learned is that alot of the market is driven by rumour and/or knee jerk reactions. If a player is dropped, people sell him as though he suddenly became a bad player over night. That player is back in the team next week and his price rebounds. Wait until Coutinho scores a brace in the Champions League for Barca and watch his price shoot up 10%. Thinks can change very quickly.

• If you need some data then check out IndexGain (join as a premium member) and you get access to a whole raft of reports and tools.

They've just added a fixture difficulty tool to help find teams who have easy games coming up.

Also they have a mobile app called Slack which has over 1700 other traders on there so you can ask questions and share reports with data with others and discuss different strategies etc.

See this page with videos also: https://indexgain.co.uk/buzzbot/

• @NewUser87483 I'm not sure about IndexGain / Slack. Apparently it's used by a number of very experienced FI traders who some say try to influence newer users unfairly. I'm not on there so don't know how much truth there is in this, but it's certainly made me wary of going on there as a relative newbie. See debate on Twitter tonight re Zlatan...

• Thanks all

So for the long term holds, how do you know when to sell? Do you set a. Amie you would be happy with or are you just holding come what may in the belief fi will grow?

After 3 years each future dies doesn't it? So therefore 3 years is max and you must sell before?

• Footy index scout is a free source of MB and PB data.

https://www.footyindexscout.co.uk

• I split my portfolio into 3 parts and only buy players born after 1991 . My first part is long term youngsters and 40% portfolio 50% is in transfers for January and 10% on quick flipping small profits or losses gambling basically for a bit of fun I don’t go for dividends generally but if they come along all good but it took me a few months to get a strategy and it’s working a bit slower than I would like but there you go! What I’m saying is get a strategy and stick with ya gut feeling and a bit of patience

• @NewUser203436 said in Advice please:

Hi, I put 100 quid in last month. Made a few bad buys that I have sold since, currently with a portfolio worth about 92 quid.

1)I'm struggling to really understand how to make money. I know long term you could hope players value increases and sell. For example I hold 2 mbappes, he has risen nearly 50p. But when to sell?

2)the dividends seem so low. Also there is no way of knowing who has earnt what? Fi seem very poor at being transparent in this area. Do you ever buy a player just for g and a? After 30days is it best to sell as they can't earn anymore?

1. is it common for people who are making money to buy players and then sell them soon after?

Considering the IS is lower price and 2% commission im just getting stung so far. I would like to develop a decent strategy for seeing regular withdrawals before putting more money in.

I have trimmed down my portfolio and hold the below (or similar)

I currently have
    Mbappe x2
    Andre silva x 6
    Maddison x3
    Trossard x4
    Neves x6
    Sensi X1
    Countino x4
    Digne x 1

Keep the faith mate. The early period is where you'll be likely to lose the most money as you find your feet and this forum is a great source of information and some people are very helpful. In relation to your points above there are a few things I would ask/say:

1. How do you intend to make money? Is it from dividends? Capital appreciation over time? Quick flips?

2. When you win a dividend, the player who won it should be in your transaction history, along with the amount they won. Unless it's a Goal and Assist dividend, in which case you should have had an email from FI (you may need to be opted in, also check your spam) which will give you the breakdown of when it was earnt. I would recommend keeping track of these as FI have missed some of mine (but have sorted them out quickly when I've contacted them).

3. Yes, quick flips are just a number of ways to make money on here.

Not wanting to preach at all, because everyone needs to find the approach they are comfortable with, but when I was starting out I targeted the really cheap players because:

1. There was far less risk attached to doing so. If you can instant sell at 1p or 2p less than buy price then it's very easy to get out.

2. It's way easier to make money more quickly. Your c.50p rise in Mbappe is obviously good, so I presume you paid about £12 for him to now hold at £12.49. So that's a 4% rise, but you have to sell to market to make any profit as his instant sell price is currently lower than the £12 you paid, meaning your money is harder to get out quickly. That's not much of a problem if you intend you hold but if you're already questioning when to sell then maybe it is. On the other hand, a 10p rise in a 70p player can happen in a matter of minutes and would be a 14% rise. Not only that, but you could have had significantly more futures invested in that player and therefore benefited more, if that makes sense?

If you are looking to sell players quickly then it is far far easier to make money at the cheaper end of the market where the spreads are much lower.

Hope this helps.

• @NewUser203436 I have been on Football index for over a year. I would say the dividends are low too and have voiced this on the forum lots of times. Half of people agree and half of people disagree and think they're fine. I believe that soon will come a point where they are raised, whether that is with a share split or not. When that happens lots of players will be making easy money. Until then I think it may be a struggle to make easy money and your portfolio will just stagnate. Just my opinion.

• Read all the rules over and over and really know how the PB and MB system works. Start using Whoscored.com.

• Who scored gives ranking but doesn't go in to find detail unless I've missed something?

For example, I can't check to see who made the most passes on who scored one natxgday can I?

• I think my best advice would be to stick another £100 in and have ten of ten players each under £1 alongside what you've already got!!!

I remember starting slowly... a week or two in I was negative and wondered if i was doing things right... but gave it a bit of time and persistence and overnight I woke up with big increases... I don't think there is a right or wrong way.. But by spreading your risk on several players believing in the market growth is the best piece of advice I can give...

The Footie is always climbing so it only takes a couple of good performances from your holds or a dividend win for you to start seeing immediate benefits.. Over time natural growth will take over and you'll be able to re-invest your dividend wins and growth into more players and a bigger portfolio!!!

You will have flat periods though... you might go into negative.. But persistence is key... Not many players on the index a year ago would be cheaper today... so if you look at the bigger picture I would expect to make money just through sheer capital growth on your longer term holds... Where it becomes messy is when you keep flipping and switching paying commission and losing value which won't get you anywhere... With a lowish investment, you need to give it time!!

• Experienced the same thing, started last month, had a loss after 1 week but that was down to not being patient, not understanding how the market really works and not knowing how I wanted to be successful at FI.

Started to claw back my losses and now making steady gains. There are days I wake up and my portfolio is down from day before and then next day shoots back up, it is what it is. But when I say steady gains I'm not talking 100's, I would expect that if I put more money into it.

I realised your own strategy is got to be down to how much time you want to put in. There are ways to be successful (PB/MB, inplay dividends, capital gains, pumping and dumping, probably a few more ways), but all depends on your own time and money.

Somebody told me the other day it's too early to know my strategy, which is why at the moment I've not put a lot of money into FI until I know what I want to do long term. So currently I've got a mixed portfolio/strategy. I've got some dividend return players for PB/MB, but also got mid-term, for me these are players who are not that expensive but could be linked to bigger clubs if they continue to play well rest of season. I'm also playing the short term game because I can afford the time, and that is watching for transfer rumours, injuries, and studying stats and fixtures to try and take advantage of the in play dividends.

And I think most importantly, short term or long term, you have to be patient...