Portfolio review for first deposit (£70)

• If you have half a brain cell you can make money at this game....

Don't be wasting your time buying one future here and one future there - it doesn't amount to anything relevant.

Buy in at least a batch of 100

• A simple but effective technique....

Buy 100 of an injured player when his price is low and people are dumping him.

Next, wait to he is fit and sell at a profit.

Just have patience.

Not rocket science is it?

• @Ericali said in Portfolio review for first deposit (£70):

Why would anyone (ever) sell at a loss? What is the rush? You own the shares for 3 years...

That means at ANY point in the next free years your player has to show in the green before selling.

Now I'm no oddsmaker but I could genuinely shut my eyes and use a pin to pick players and at some point in the next 3 years they will show in a profit

I've sold at a loss a few times because there is more money to be made elsewhere by catching a player on his way up. I could sit on my loss for 2 months until he goes green or take the money out and roll it over a few times in other players and make more than I would have by waiting on that other player to go green again. Pretty simple really...

• @NewUser209537 said in Portfolio review for first deposit (£70):

Working in investment for nearly a year and a lifetime of Fifa abuse has made me finally bite the bullet and try this thing out.

I’d like to start depositing approx £50-£100 every month and just seeing what happens. After a few days of research and reading these forums, I feel I may have spent my first £70 deposit in a rash way and made some silly choices. So far I have: aubameyang, neymar, jack Clarke, joao carvalho, Eriksen, joe gomez, muriel, rojo, bentancur, chambers, digne, firpo, zlatan, rashford, icardi, Isaiah brown, konsa, grealish, abraham, hairdara rashida and 2 of torreira, matondo & diallo. I made a panic sale and sold 3 lacazettes for a 50p loss and his value is shooting up... I figure you’ll make mistakes at the start whilst figuring it out but I’m thinking if it’s worth asking for a refund and starting with a new email?

What’s the deal with injuries? Was I correct to sell gomez due to his injury despite getting a media buzz? Why has ibra’s price dropped so much all of a sudden? I also imagine it’s better to invest more in players rather than just 1 share here and there? If anyone has got any tips for a noobie I’d appreciate it.

And final question... who would you buy right one with £2.40 balance?

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

The early days will likely be where you lose the most money as you find your feet, in that sense then having small holdings is probably a good way to do it as you will see yourself how prices can jump in either direction (as you say about Gomez and Ibra). Longer term, I would suggest it's better to have more futures in fewer players, only because this has worked well for me so far. If you have a more modest budget (like I do compared to many on here) then I would also target the cheaper players as you can afford to have more futures in them and get more of the benefit when they have a rise, with far less risk as you can instant sell without too much damage being done if you need to.

I'd suggest signing up for a data product too. I use Noir's £1 a month product and combine it with my own research to build a list of players I want, and then try and time my purchase of those players right. The timing is key, generally speaking, players will drop when they're not playing and peak when they get game time. There is nothing wrong with taking a long term approach, especially if you don't have the time to spend on here, but as I do have the time to be fairly active I can benefit from jumping on opportunities when I see them. For example, using Noir's data and other free websites (like WhoScored) I identified both Milot Rashica and Adam Ounas as really good cheap players. I recently bought both and I'm currently 21% up on Rashica and 34% up on Ounas.

I think the most important thing is to ask yourself a few questions:

How active are you able to be?
    How do you want to make money on here?
    What level of risk are you comfortable with?

And then build a plan from there. Lots of people will give advice and be really helpful but it's important to know what you're comfortable with and go from there. You will get the occasional snake on here who tries to plug their own rubbish in a pump and dump. Also be aware of the top trending players list, you will routinely see absolute rubbish in there that are 'trending' because one person has bought a load of futures to raise their price and create a buying frenzy, only to sell off, take their profit and leave unsuspecting traders holding the baby.

• @Yellow
    Absolutely. 99% chance that a player in the red will rise into green again but it's the opportunity cost. I have Nelson who's in red quite a lot but I'll probably be selling because I can make more elsewhere and then maybe look to buy back. You don't want to do it all the time and Nelson will definitely rise again as there tall of him being back at arsenal and around the squad next season but that's months away. If it's that easy to make money at this game then it's a mug move to sit on a player in the red for months and months while their price does nothing and others are rising.

• @Yellow ok..... here's a revolutionary thought - do that with additional money and leave the other money where it is to its in profit.

Win/Win scenario

@Yellow ok..... here's a revolutionary thought - do that with additional money and leave the other money where it is to its in profit.

Win/Win scenario

Not really. What if you don't have the extra cash spare? And even if you do, there is still an opportunity cost on every player that you hold. You could still move the player in red on regardless and get a bigger win.

• @Yellow what your describing is betting.... Looking for a return virtually instantly on your capital.

You do realise this is a stock market don't you? It's shares in players. If you want a instant return I'd go to the bookies

@Yellow what your describing is betting.... Looking for a return virtually instantly on your capital.

You do realise this is a stock market don't you? It's shares in players. If you want a instant return I'd go to the bookies

I bet everyone wanted to sit next to you at the works xmas party

If you have half a brain cell you can make money at this game....

Don't be wasting your time buying one future here and one future there - it doesn't amount to anything relevant.

Buy in at least a batch of 100

Honestly this is shocking advice and very irresponsible.

FI isn't free money and people will mistakes. The sensible thing to do when you start is to either paper trade or trade values. Once you are confident you have a grasp on things then you can upscale. Yes, a future here and there wont lead to anything worthwhile but suggesting people goes straight in head first buying in 100s before they have a handle on things is pretty poor.

Why would anyone (ever) sell at a loss? What is the rush? You own the shares for 3 years...

That means at ANY point in the next free years your player has to show in the green before selling.

Now I'm no oddsmaker but I could genuinely shut my eyes and use a pin to pick players and at some point in the next 3 years they will show in a profit

Again bad advice that newbies should ignore.

What price you bought a player for is irrelevant. Its gone. If a player is good value at his current price then keep or buy more. If they are no longer good advice then sell. Whether the numbers are in red or green are completely irrelevant.

Holding onto players just because they are in the red and you don't want to sell anyone at a loss is classic chasing your losses tactics.

• @Advinculas-Index I'm the one who's arranging the Xmas party - are paying for it with your money 👍

• @mike778 I think you need to expand a bit on this one Mike....

No panicking and holding onto a player long term (for up to 3 years) is chasing losses?

Run that one by me again....

@mike778 I think you need to expand a bit on this one Mike....

No panicking and holding onto a player long term (for up to 3 years) is chasing losses?

Run that one by me again....

No.

Holding a player purely because they are in the red and you aren't prepared to sell anyone at a loss is chasing losses.

Not panicking and holding a player that has dropped into the red because you think they are good player, worth the money and therefore should appreciate is obviously good.

Obviously not panicking and holding long term is fine. Just that the colour of your profit and loss (red or green) should be utterly irrelevant to whether you sell. If a player is no longer good value then you should sell regardless of whether they are red or green. Circumstances changes and sometimes you have to accept a loss on a player and move on.

@Advinculas-Index I'm the one who's arranging the Xmas party - are paying for it with your money 👍

Ok cheers, I can afford it (if thats what you meant. I struggled deciphering your grammar)

I believe they usually get the office pleb to do it so im glad they've kept up with tradition.

• @Advinculas-Index said in Portfolio review for first deposit (£70):

@Ericali said in Portfolio review for first deposit (£70):

@Advinculas-Index I'm the one who's arranging the Xmas party - are paying for it with your money 👍

Ok cheers, I can afford it (if thats what you meant. I struggled deciphering your grammar)

I believe they usually get the office pleb to do it so im glad they've kept up with tradition.

Just keep re-reading the thread a couple of times or better still, bookmark it.

You may just realise where you have been going wrong, and that little bean rattling about up there maybe will have a lightbulb moment. 👍

Merry Christmas

@Yellow what your describing is betting.... Looking for a return virtually instantly on your capital.

I know how the platform works, thanks.

There are so many ways to make money on here and a variety of approaches. If you think it's a good idea to unconditionally hold a player for 3 years until they get back into the green because it's a 'stock market' then good luck to you on that.

Calling someone a mug because they are new and they have done something you disagree with isn't on though... especially if you then give them some questionable advice.

• I respect working people as they pay my pension

@Advinculas-Index said in Portfolio review for first deposit (£70):

@Ericali said in Portfolio review for first deposit (£70):

Just keep re-reading the thread a couple of times or better still, bookmark it.

You may just realise where you have been going wrong, and that little bean rattling about up there maybe will have a lightbulb moment. 👍

Merry Christmas

Yuletide greetings to you and yours too, and many thanks for providing the forum with the gift of mirth this year.

• @TheSleepingGiant thanks for this. Some useful points that I will try and carry forward. Just out of interest, what is the minimum amount of shares you purchase when buying a player? As i'm only investing £50-£100 each month, I am trying to work out the best strategy.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.