NEWB Questions.

• Hey peeps,

I'm new, sorry if this is a dumb question.

I woke up this morning with £13.70 profit, sold 5 Pogba's at £16.67 for what should be a tidy profit. Bought 54 Higuin's (fingers crossed on that Chelsea move). Now my profile is saying £7.16 profit.

The commission on the 5 Pogba's would have been £1.65, why did my portfolio drop £6.54?

Do we pay commission on purchases as well as sales?

• @Dan-The-Man The profit figure is based on the value of your current portfolio only.
    To get your true profit add your balance to portfolio value and compare to sum invested.

• @Dan-The-Man check in your transaction history and you should be able to see how it is broken down. don't forget to click transaction history button whilst in there

• Thanks folks.

Much appreciated.

• @Dan-The-Man
    You should see 3 figures in view
    Cost, value. profit/loss.

If you put £100 in and bought 10 futures in a £10 player, the figures would read
    £100, £100 and £0

If he goes up to £15 they would read
    £100, £150 and £50

You sell all (assuming no commission for ease) got £150 and then buy 15 new players at £10.
    They then read
    £150, £150 and £0.
    This is because you have zero profit in this player, you have realised your original profit and reinvested.

The figure for ‘overall’ profit is the cost, minus what you have actual put in.
    In this case cost £150 minus initial investment £100. Plus £50.

Hope that makes sense, just remember to keep a note of what you have put in

• @Dan-The-Man said in NEWB Questions.:

Hey peeps,

I'm new, sorry if this is a dumb question.

I woke up this morning with £13.70 profit, sold 5 Pogba's at £16.67 for what should be a tidy profit. Bought 54 Higuin's (fingers crossed on that Chelsea move). Now my profile is saying £7.16 profit.

The commission on the 5 Pogba's would have been £1.65, why did my portfolio drop £6.54?

Do we pay commission on purchases as well as sales?

Exactly as @BOOM says.... your portfolio cost will change all the time if you sell and then buy again, same if you withdraw anything ( portfolio cost does not =money deposited) ... the best thing is to check in transaction history and remember u may need to reset the dates and press apply

• @Ringers Yeah, that really helped me understand what's going on. Thank you.

Having checked my transaction history, my frown turned upside down ha.

• @Dan-The-Man All my figures are mixed up, says I'm 4k plus but actually I'm maybe 3k plus, because I've made so many instant sales since I started.

• i would suggest you set yourself up a spreadsheet to keep track of your investments. not a day goes by when i check mine. theres not really enough info in FI to keep on top of things

• @Weedster said in NEWB Questions.:

i would suggest you set yourself up a spreadsheet to keep track of your investments. not a day goes by when i check mine. theres not really enough info in FI to keep on top of things

Unless @Dan-The-Man is planning on changing his portfolio often then a spreadsheet is not required, i know in my head how much I've deposited, withdrawn and value of portfolio.. those 3 are enough, if he's going to play the G&A game then it's 100% necessary.

• @Andy-M Quite surprised at that Andy as you seem an active trader, suppose it depends on the amount of different players you hold. As I said I currently have 69 and think I'll be adding more, at least up until share split. I have just made my own, quite simple, spreadsheet and added sections as I've went along. Its much easier than trawling through FI looking for info. I can see in an instant what I bought at, when I bought and profit/loss values both at IS and market value. It's great that you can manage without one but there's no way I could.

• @Weedster Also built in the commission so that I don't sell under any false pretenses

• @Weedster

Yeah, I think a spreadsheet is a good shout.

I've been using a notepad to track a few players a I go. Just making rough notes on how they are moving.

I found a database online that seemed to have some useful info but I can imagine there's some cracking tools for monitoring this online.

• @Dan-The-Man Loads of good stuff about, Noir4x does a good product for only a £1 a month or so, but I'm not up to that level of research and investment yet. There's some good free stuff on Football Scout which I think is available via the news part of FI. If you keep on the forums its a mine of information, just be careful of the old "pump and dump" which to me is the biggest downside when it happens for newbies. Good luck

• @Weedster said in NEWB Questions.:

@Andy-M Quite surprised at that Andy as you seem an active trader, suppose it depends on the amount of different players you hold. As I said I currently have 69 and think I'll be adding more, at least up until share split. I have just made my own, quite simple, spreadsheet and added sections as I've went along. Its much easier than trawling through FI looking for info. I can see in an instant what I bought at, when I bought and profit/loss values both at IS and market value. It's great that you can manage without one but there's no way I could.

My activity is normally within a small amount of players, I own quite a small portfolio right now, nobody under £6 and minimum 500 futures, so very easy to keep tabs, obviously makes me a bit vulnerable if anything happens, but I'm not afraid to IS if necessary.

• @Andy-M Ha I've noticed!! I've only IS'd twice. Once was De Jong, total panic when first on, made a profit but up £1 a future since then. The other was CR7, still made a profit but won't invest in him now as didn't like all the media stuff at the time. You say your'e vulnerable to volatility but you don't seem to mind this and it looks a good mind set to have. I'm more risk averse therefore my portfolio reflects this. I keep meaning to reduce my portfolio but FI keep throwing curve balls at me. Share split is totally dominating my thinking at the minute and I won't sell any players before this. If needs be I'll invest more if I see a good thing. Exciting times ahead methinks.

• I’m always conscious of having lots of green and never cashing in becuase things can change, I will always skim a few shares of players to invest in new ones I think can grow. It’s nice looking at all the profit but it could easily go south.

• @Weedster

yeah, it seems almost too good to be true this platform.I know the folks who got on here a year ago must have absolutely cleaned up but surely, we are still on this train super early.

I put a facebook post out tagging 10 mates who bet all the time, (not really investment types, more accumulators), none of them had been on the platform, now 3 are, with 3 more looking at it. That says to me that the more marketing these guys spend, the bigger this thing is going to go.

• @Weedster we're all thinking in different ways, wouldn't work otherwise i guess, definitely an exciting future ahead

• @Dan-The-Man hope you got the referral money?