ROI

• Happy new year all!

I’ve been on the platform since September 2018 and am currently enjoying a 15% ROI. More than happy with that.

I know the question may be a little bit vague and will be dependant on strategies etc etc etc , but in your opinion, what would you consider to be a successful ROI over the course of any given year?

• @NewUser178724 it's a completely personal thing but the more you invest, the greater ROI you should expect. There's a lot of comparing to others on here which I steer clear of myself. Set yourself a target and don't get disheartened by those who boast of 80% ROI. Sounds like you are doing just fine but remember there is no such thing as ROI until profit banked...

• @NewUser178724 said in ROI:

Happy new year all!

I’ve been on the platform since September 2018 and am currently enjoying a 15% ROI. More than happy with that.

I know the question may be a little bit vague and will be dependant on strategies etc etc etc , but in your opinion, what would you consider to be a successful ROI over the course of any given year?

I've asked myself the exact same question and it's difficult to answer. I think the simplest and safest thing is that it's an ROI that you feel happy with. You can compare yourself to others but it's loses meaning when you realise that people have different strategies, different amounts to invest and different amount of time to spend on here making their money work. 15% since September is great, and is far better than you would see in any bank.

I've been meaning to work out the growth of the platform and measure my progress against that, because I'd like to know I was outperforming the growth, but whenever I log on I inevitably get distracted by refreshing my portfolio like a maniac.

• Thanks both.

You’ve made a really good point re ‘the more you invest, the more ROI you should probably expect’ due to compounding and the like.

I’m also a massive believer of seeing FI as a fun/interactive savings account. So long as my money is doing more for me in here than it would be in the bank then I’m a happy trader.

• I'm on 11% ROI having joined in early December and invested £1000 now. I have only bought futures and not done any trading whatsoever, and this is spread over 70 players so I haven't exactly made that ROI from being lucky with one or two.

• @Hotspur
    Great point Hotspur...I'm currently 14.1% since October.....but as in my case always looking to improve portfolio .....can't see me banking for while...so in effect not got any returns.....love FI but it does make me evaluate sometimes ....surely I'm not alone thinking this way ❓ what amount do I have to get before I decide to & who do I sell & eventually regret ❓

• i think its the same philosophy no matter how much you invest? you buy one player for £1 and he ends up at £2 you make 100% profit!!!

You buy 100 players at £10 and they go on to hit £20 each you make 100% profit???

Now not one to be greedy, when I set out... I saw a three year investment and within that time i set a goal of simply 'doubling my money'.... many will have different opinions and strategies and of course the more cash you add ongoing the trickier or easier it becomes to reach your goals but by simply choosing the return you want, not what is recommended by others, is surely a better strategy to follow?

I see no reason realistically though to be aiming for 10-20% returns per month or at least minimum per quarter!!!!

• @dannypea Like ur thinking Dannypea....I'm guessing you joined 12m ago ish ❓...obvs was easier to make gains but my worry is ...as FI product grows and speed it's moving with player prices etc few like me maybe think need to 'make hay' as quick as poss ...which could be disasterous.
    SS on the horizon ...I am looking forward to it...but as its my first I'm unsure if got ideal portfolio ready now

• @Friedeggs yeah i joined over 12 months ago but if i was a new investor I think with a 3 year gameplan (because that is how long you can hold a future) I would invest on the basis that I would 'like' 100% returns....

Share split in mind and another 2+ years of growth i don't see why it can't be done????

There's always new players on the up so getting in early on the next biggest thing and investing wisely in dividend paying growth providing futures would long term earn you positive returns... I don't think 100% is unreasonable but anyone thinking earning much more than that needs to invest either a very serious amount or very small amount to get what they want on ROI!!!

• Any other thoughts?

• @NewUser178724 I aim for 5% each month. A pretty modest target which usually gets surpassed with ease but to give it some context 5% each month will result in you doubling your investment over 12 months, obviously it gets harder has time goes on but things like deposit bonuses etc all help

• Hey buddy, in terms of portfolio growth, personally I aim for an average of 5% a month which I came up with based on previous performance. Last year I averaged 6.6% a month so there's no reason why this won't continue. Regarding strategy, I spread my portfolio over many players (253 atm) and go for a mix of MB, PB and capital growth. However I am addicted and spend a reasonable amount of time reviewing my portfolio.

Just noticed @Wilba post exactly the same above which is reassuring.

• I’m aiming at 12% a month, knowing that half of that or more will comfortably double my money over a year.

I’m able to be fairly active on FI to make quick wins etc but having recently enjoyed some success with longer term holds (e.g. I got on Pogba at £12.48), I’m considering trading some growth for a slightly less involved approach.