Footie growing but I'm declining?!

• I don't know what I am doing wrong so advice would be good. The footie seems to be growing everyday but my portfolio is stagnating or declining.

I have £340 invested and after 2 months of membership I am around even. I made some nice profits in the first few weeks but since then I've struggled.

Currently have losses on Cutrone, Ruben Neves, Tielemans, Reguilon, Sessegnon and De Paul. I don't even feel like these are bad holds but they are all down between 5p and 25p per future from where I got them at.

Profitable players I hold are Dembele, Icardi, Haidara, Belotti, Tierney, El Shaarawy, Moses and others but the profits are outweighed by the reds.

Am I making bad investments here? I feel like these are good players with potential for growth, it just doesn't seem to be happening.

Had some bad luck/bad decisions too but I can spot those and won't make them again. Decided against Ighalo at 38p for example. Bought Pozo and Do Francesco at their peak. Decided against Brahim Diaz at £3.03. those are some of my errors so far.

• As a fellow holder of Patrick Cutrone i sympathise.

The players you have are, as you say, not bad but in a period a growth for the top 10/20 others have to suffer. The players you have bought are not "popular" in terms of MB nor are they getting anywhere close on the PB scores but few can doubt the potential for success of Neves and Sessegnon (especially as he'll be somewhere else end of the season)

However, they have growth potential. Sit in and hold them. If you IS you are just burning cash. This phase in the FI lifecycle will pass..

• a lot is down to 'when' you brought these players perhaps??? Are you watching football (like many) and acting on impulse? Are you buying players at the height of their spike when in good form??

For me Cutrone will improve in time, but he has 3 league goals so far so he still needs time... Ruben Neves is quietly going about his business and perhaps being overshadowed by others right now but he's only one 30 yard volley away from a rise and he's more than capable.. Tielemans is in a poor Monaco team who are actively looking to strengthen (think they've just signed Naldo and are rumoured with Fabregas) so be patient with him as i'm sure they'll go on a run... Reguillon has not played since the 1st December and has only 3 La Liga apps so maybe he needs time... Sessegnon's EPL season has been far from what we had hoped and expected when we were all wanting a slice at £3+ in May... Rodrigo de Paul looks like moving to Roma or maybe Juve so again be patient with him?

I would perhaps question some of the profitable players you have more but its how things sometimes are.. depending on your strategy though i wouldn't hit the panic button yet!!! You only need one of those players to take off and your portfolio all of a sudden looks much healthier!!!

• I hold Tielmans aswell. Not sure whether arrival of Fabregas will be a good or bad thing for him (if it happens)

• @dannypea I felt like I picked many of them up on a dip and they have since gone lower haha. Got Tielemans at 1.99 and Cutrone at 2.41 and De Paul at 2.25. all have since gone even lower.

The profitable players have slightly different logic, Belotti, Moses, Tierney and Haidara I bought them all hoping for a transfer in the next 6 months or so. El Shaarawy I picked up at 1.40 hoping he will get back into the Roma team now fit.

Like you said, maybe I just need to give it time. Trying to be patient haha.

I watch quite a bit of football but am trying not to act on impulse. After early mistakes I'm always not trying to buy players when they are on a dip rather than rising.

• @NewUser205128 to be honest I picked up Tielemans thinking Monaco could get relegated and he could end up somewhere like Arsenal. He is still really young too

• @NewUser197355 Now that's lateral thinking!

• I realised today that since I joined the footie has gone up 11%, and my portfolio is 11% up too. I think that's down to diversity - I have lots of players (c. 70) from all leagues and experience brackets, and generally any losses are outweighed by other gains. Having a few Pogbas has helped for sure as well.

Having less players is open to more variation, which could mean you get greater gains or indeed more losses. But overall i would expect you to be up in the long run - I'd say hold for now and wait for the European winter breaks to end, and also the share split, and then reassess.

• @kristiang85 plus your divs i expect?

• I've got £7.20 in divs on £1000, so its not that much difference to be honest (although I'd have more had I made all my investments on Day 1, but I wasn't going to jump in with 1k without having some measure of the market first)

• @kristiang85 £7.20 could be great return depending on how long you've been on.

• @Weedster That's in 4 weeks.

• @kristiang85 9.36% pa aint a bad return on divs alone....nice one

• i think after 4 weeks i was a few quid down... unless you are flipping players on the day of them transfering clubs or scoring goals i think it would be hard to make much profit in a month or so (esp with little experience)... give yourself at least 3 months to learn the ropes... then judge how you are doing after 6 months... if you then still see enough potential then set yourself more goals for the necxt six months and end of year one.

I think what i've noticed in referring friends is that many still want that 'get rich quick' theme that the bookies generally provide... with FI things are more measured, will probably be much slower and will need much more homework than having a quick home and away bet or accy... Give yourself time to learn from your mistakes and back your football knowledge and i'm sure you'll come out of it profitable if you keep your patience!!!!

• @dannypea if Monaco get relegated tielemans will be hot property

• @Finlay77 even if they don't, surely clubs in European competition will come in for him? Will he want to stay at a club fighting relegation? He's supposed to be a future star

• @NewUser197355 he went to Monaco just as they started selling all their best players. kind of like buying a player in a media hype on here and 3 hours later your 100 futures are down £10 due to canny guys and girls buying this player far earlier. he has probably told his agent he made a mistake and wants to get out asap. I wouldn't be happy with my new club if they sold me the world and then sold bernardo silva mendy mbappe fabinho etc... you are right, I cant see him staying and he is far too good to stay in that team

• The worrying thing for me, he hasn’t stood out to me in 1 game this season. I think he will do well eventually as he has time on his side, but he won’t be the player everyone thought he would be 2/3 years ago.

• @Finlay77 said in Footie growing but I'm declining?!:

@NewUser197355 he went to Monaco just as they started selling all their best players. kind of like buying a player in a media hype on here and 3 hours later your 100 futures are down £10 due to canny guys and girls buying this player far earlier. he has probably told his agent he made a mistake and wants to get out asap. I wouldn't be happy with my new club if they sold me the world and then sold bernardo silva mendy mbappe fabinho etc... you are right, I cant see him staying and he is far too good to stay in that team

Has he played for for Belgium?, would be hard not to in that team.
    I dont know much about him other than I think he did well in one game against Man U a few years ago and then had lots of hype.

• @Tom77 he has 14 caps for Belgium. Played in the World Cup in the summer.