What's going on with Aubameyang?

• Hi Folks,

I'm still finding my feet around here, so I'm just wondering what you guys think is going on with Aubameyang?

Somethings on FI seem obvious to me, like Pogba being a media star, goal scorer and a Man Utd player with a manager building around him, so it stands to reason he's booming.

Then there's Aubameyang, the leading scorer for the Premiership, scoring for fun with a goals-to-games ratio that has been stable for 5 years, plays multiple positions, has a great partnership with Lacazette and he's still in Europe with arguably the easiest opponent (BATE) - yet his price has dropped 34p in a week where he scored in 2 separate games.

Arsenal have Blackpool, West Ham, Chelsea (at home), Cardiff, Man City (away) and Huddersfield, as their next 6 opponents; it seems highly probable Aubameyang will score a bucket load of goals.

So what's going on?

• Are people dumping stock to chase Pogba?

• Are they worried Aubameyang's form will drop, so they're taking profits?

What am I missing?

(Full Disclosure: I bought 20 of him last week)

• Time to top up I say..!

• I imagine it’s just being invested elsewhere, but given that the FA Cup isn’t a valid competition for G&A, that means he’s got three games in six where you would ‘expect’ him to score.

My knowledge of the PB matrix isn’t as developed as others on here, but he also isn’t involved in the general play that much meaning he struggles to score highly unless he’s scoring 2+ goals. So, not a great PB dividend returner.

Brilliant striker though, no doubt!

• I would guess the Pogba effect is a big part; looking at my £4-6 players they all dropped this last week whereas Pogba has gone up massively.

I'm surprised people are dumping on Auba before the share split though.

• I held auba and sold this week, the main reason is that he's scoring goals for fun and not winning PB, which is a really worrying statistic. He needs to score 2+ goals a game to be in with a chance of winning as he barely touches the ball when not scoring! Annoying though isn't it

• @Hartley said in What's going on with Aubameyang?:

I held auba and sold this week, the main reason is that he's scoring goals for fun and not winning PB, which is a really worrying statistic. He needs to score 2+ goals a game to be in with a chance of winning as he barely touches the ball when not scoring! Annoying though isn't it

I'm holding on the basis that he might get a lot of coverage later in the year as the top scorer charts get more attention.

However, he is too close to 30 for my liking, so I am veering towards selling him as the season closes, unless he's angling for a move away from Arsenal or there's an indication Arsenal might be title challengers next year.

• @Hartley Yeah! ha.

It feels like a large 'Golden Boot' dividend would help the market seem a little more sensical, though, I'd imagine at that point, we'd all make a play for Aubameyang, Salah, Aguero, Kane, etc.

Maybe they could base the size of the reward on how long you held the players. For example, if Kane scored 40 goals to win the Golden Boot, but you bought him after he scored 39, you get 1/40th of the prize. It would add a ton of stability to the market and they could offer similar 'Season Dividends' for each position such as, 'Most Clean Sheets', or 'Most Assists', etc.

It could prevent situations where a kid like Greenwood who hasn't debuted yet, is more expensive that the Premier League's top striker, which is only a week or two off of actually happening if the current trend of each player continues.

Just a thought. There's probably 50 reasons not to do something like that.

• The thing is FI don't want too much stability, as they want trades to pick up commission.

Nice idea, but us holders aren't the people that make this index their money ;)

• @kristiang85

Yeah I guess it makes sense that FI wouldn't benefit as much from stability, though perhaps it would increase player retention as I know folk who have joined and left because it seemed too random for them. Maybe monthly rewards could be a middle ground? IE, Golden Boot for January. 'Most Clean Sheets In January'.

Is 30 as big of a problem as it used to be? It seems pretty much like the prime for strikers these days. Aguero is 30, Suarez is 31, Cavani is 31, Ronaldo is 33, Zlatan netted 22 times in 27 games at 37. Medical science and fitness training has come so far. I'd say the 3 year stock rule, probably ensures that now is the best time to get Aubameyang... but if enough people think like yourself... that could be enough to make me very wrong.

• This post is deleted!

• I think he also has touch of the flamboyant about him. If he establishes himself as a top prem striker the press are likely to write more guff about him such as when when he splashed out £250k on a gold supercar.

• @Valhalla Here's hoping. :)