FTSE down FI up...

• Just saying that perhaps some of these stocks and share traders may look to pump some more money in here given the FTSE and world share indices are on a downward spiral. Great news for us guys 🥳

• Can’t think of a better place to put your money at the moment

• @Wilba

I started up a shares ISA in September this year and every time i checked on it , it was going down.
    I came to the conclusion that if anything its only going down further for at least the next 18 months in what will probably be one of the most volatile markets for years so i took the loss and withdrew it 3 weeks ago.
    I put some of it into here and have comfortably made that loss back multiple times over.

• Like all economies, this isn't going to be a perpetual money making machine and there will be an inevitable downturn at some point (which is healthy), but during 2019 I think FI is certainly your best bet of making some extra cash over ISAs, shares, etc.

• All world markets are taking a kicking the last few weeks

• My portfolio since I joined FI on December 5th (1 month) has gone up over 18% making me over £50 profit already.

Last year I joined an investment management company & finally entered the stock market world. My regular savings plan with Fidelity is down 11% since I started in September, albeit a small loss as I’ve only invested ~£200. Can someone give me a good reason not to pull my money out of there and put it in the index which I see nothing but growth in for 2019 at least. I’m on 20k per annum and can’t afford to be sat on shitty investments. Would prefer shorter-medium term gains for the time being. I understand my stock investments are good (at least not bad) long term from what I’ve learnt but surely it’d be better to investment in the stock market after the inevitable bull market we are in comes to a halt and the recovery can begin?

Replies appreciated. 📈🤙

• @yulogy I can't. Your returns speak for themselves!.

• @Dan-w I understand FI is a gambling product and stocks & shares are safer long term but the name of the game is the make money right?! Plus this is so much more fun 🤓

• @yulogy Markets have been the longest bull run in history, over 10 years. A bear market will start at some point, and maybe already getting started.

One reason I can give you to keep your trackers/funds/shares ect is, historically markets only go one way if you ride them over a long enough time. So you have 99% chance you will be okay if you're looking at long term investments.

Just like inside the FI ecosystem. Having a diversified portfolio is key to long term succes. You can put all your eggs in one basket if you are young enough and have the right risk appetite, but while you can win big you could also lose big.

So on onr hand go all in on FI or diversify your long term saving with stocks, bonds
    cash, investment funds, property ect. I'm not a financial advisor, but as I said what you do is based on your age and risk appetite.

• @yulogy How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

• Thanks for this. They say you can’t time the market; the only way to win is to be in the market. If I had a higher salary I would be less inclined to pull the money out of the funds I currently invest in but sitting on a ~£200 pot performing badly versus a fairly well diversified FI pot that seems to be flying every day is causing me this dilemma. All the investment managers at my firm believe there is still growth in the market in the next year at least but admittedly believe this historically long bear market has to come crashing down sooner rather than later (as you said). Plus it’s their job to tell their clients that. In my modest understanding, within 3 years seems a reasonable & quite conservative prediction for the next correction and the signs are pointing to a hefty correction due to very inflated prices thanks to a certain someone across the pond using all his powers to boost growth short term. My current thinking is the pull my stock investments and put back in once the correction has taken place and double digit growth looks attainable.

• @Misto 22 years old, will be 23 in April. Graduated from uni in summer 2017. Regarding my attitude to risk, I would say it’s quite high. The thought of living from my pension does not appeal to me at all. Why would it? There’s money out there to be made (aside from the index). Stocks & Shares to me currently seem like quite a defensive investment versus the seemingly low risk investment wirh crazy upscale that is FI, especially if you’ve abused Fifa and football manager over the years...

• @yulogy I think with how the markets are at the minute it will be a bit of luck and good judgement to make more money on them as appose to in FI.
    Do you follow football a lot?have good knowledge? At least with this platform,before the share split you have a good indication of what's going to happen, especially if you follow the forum and certain Twitter feeds. You can research football and have a better prediction of outcomes than in the stocks/shares due to brexit having an influence on so many things.
    On here a couple of the main current positives are:

Small marketplace,yet to reach most footballing nations! (Massive growth potential)

Share split will inevitably see increases in players

• @yulogy

I can only give you my own take i am in no way a financial expert of any description.

Last year was probably the worst time for years for startng up shares related ISA or other similar type investments

If you look at the FTSE100 as an indicator it was at the highest point they had ever been at some point last year 7,700 and since then there has been a steady decline. (although it did go up by 2% yesterday). But is currently down over 10% since that point in time. Added to that is the longer term uncertainty in worldwide markets which all seem to be on a downward trajectory at the moment.

from July to October this year I had drip fed £5000 into a shares ISA which was being managed by Moneyfarm so they picked the investments based on what level of risk i opted for. The general performance of those shares seemed to correlate fairly closely to the performance of the FTSE 100 / 250 hence my comment above.

after it had dropped steadily over the course of 3 months i came to the conclusion that either i continue with it as a long term investment, but decided against it as no one really knows how the markets are going to react to brexit over the short term (up to march) and fallout afterwards. So i could have seen myself losing a further 20/30% before any signs of a recovery.

So i decided to cut my losses which thankfully at the time were fairly minimal and plough it to my current Football Index portfolio.

For me in the short term that has proved to be the correct decision. I also believe that the FI is probably a less risky option than most index/shares linked investments certainly for 2019 at least especially if you make sure your portfolio is diverse. It's a field of investment that most of us on here will have some knowledge of as well , more so than some oil mining firm in Ulan Bator.

As i say, that's my take on it - it could a total load of bollocks....

• I have a SIPP which I wanted to invest some of my pension fund into FI. Does anyone know if I could do that? My IFA seems to think not but he has never given me a definitive answer, possibly because he doesn't earn commission from FI.

• @yulogy Mate if you're that young, go for risk. You have so much time to recover if it goes wrong. Even with your relatively low pay, you're thinking about saving and your future. Which is more than 90% of people in their 20s do. Keep that up future you will be very greatful.

Btw you're getting bull and bear mixed up.

A bull thrusts its horns up into the air, while a bear swipes its paws downward. These actions are metaphors for the movement of a market.

Bull = upwards trend
    Bear = downwards trend

• What is the difference between putting all of your money into Pogba and putting your money into 200 players with a diversified portfolio ?

By putting your money into FI , you are basically investing in FI as a company. If they do well then, you will likely make money , if they do badly you lose. Its like investing in the FTSE but with the most undiversified portfolio possible. Whilst the FTSE has dropped, some companies have gained - if you purely invested in them then you would have made money.

Even with a fully diversified FI portfolio then its still extremely high risk because you have all your eggs in one basket. In the same way that putting all your money into one player (Pogba) is high risk as if something happens to him then you lose most of your money, investing all your money into one company (FI) is high risk as if something bad happens you lose your money.

But high risk = high reward

• @Zidave

Unfortunately he is right the rules around what you can invest in are pretty black and white and gambling is not allowed.

Basically as you have received tax relief on your pension contributions the regulator stipulates what are allowable investments and what are not.

• @mike778 said in FTSE down FI up...:

What is the difference between putting all of your money into Pogba and putting your money into 200 players with a diversified portfolio ?

By putting your money into FI , you are basically investing in FI as a company. If they do well then, you will likely make money , if they do badly you lose. Its like investing in the FTSE but with the most undiversified portfolio possible. Whilst the FTSE has dropped, some companies have gained - if you purely invested in them then you would have made money.

Even with a fully diversified FI portfolio then its still extremely high risk because you have all your eggs in one basket. In the same way that putting all your money into one player (Pogba) is high risk as if something happens to him then you lose most of your money, investing all your money into one company (FI) is high risk as if something bad happens you lose your money.

But high risk = high reward

I've thought about this b4 and obviously u are right that FI is high risk, but it's common sense that there is a much higher risk having all your money on 1 player, even if you split it into 2 players then you put the risk down a huge percentage... let's say it's 33% with 2 players rather than 50%.. FI go bust 33% Player 1 dies 33% player 2 dies 33% .... but seriously, why would FI go bust ??? We are the ones that control FI and the chance of anything happening at the moment in my opinion is close to 0% but back to Pogba seeing the bottom of a bus ..... you just never know, but a wild guess I'd say close to 0% too 😁

• I think with FI as time goes on it becomes less and less riskier in terms of the bottom falling out of the market over night as it becomes bigger and more mainstream. There will of course become a point, whether it be in 1 year or 10 years time where it no longer outperforms most other investment options like it has been doing, and to make the kind of gains we have been making will require more savvier trading. But for the foreseeable future im backing this horse

Looks like your connection to Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.