Sea of Green

• When I was quite new to the index(still am really) I put a post on titled "sea of red". This was me panicking and not knowing quite what was going on and, of course, the market has blossomed. So I thought I'd try and make amends with this post. To all newbies, try and keep the faith even when it doesn't look good. I just rode the waves and am now seeing the good times, great to see green all over...but I'm not counting my chickens yet cos can easy go both ways I suppose....onwards and upwards

• @Weedster me to, although I need more money and want more players 😂. So is a sea of green opportunity to sell and reinvest elsewhere, providing you get profit, or a time to hold?

• I see seas of green,
    No reds in view,
    The Index blooms,
    For me and you.

And I think to myself,
    What a wonderful world!

• @John-D Really unsure mate. Nowadays when I see red I see an opportunity, but seeing green I also see an opportunity? Really don't think anyone can fail at this point in time due to FI growth, transfer window and share split imminent. Think it's the best of times now. What the future holds only Biff Tannen knows.

• @Weedster decisions, decisions.

• @Willie-Mink said in Sea of Green:

I see seas of green,
    No reds in view,
    The Index blooms,
    For me and you.

And I think to myself,
    What a wonderful world!

That said, in every bloom lies the seeds of the next bust! There will be a downturn at some point. Best to get cracking already working out what will suffer then, and to reduce risk.

Seas of green often means poisonous algae after all :D

• Ok for example I have 6xRashford and made £12 profit. I have a small pot so this is a substantial gain to reinvest. Do I sell, or hold?

• @John-D

For me Rashford is all potential. His Index returns to date have been poor, despite having scored a fair few for club and country. A bit like an English Mbappe in Index terms (although clearly not as good).

For me it's now too much money to keep tied up in a player who will only sporadically make returns. Problem is he's not particularly performance friendly, and he's not United's nor England's main media draw. So he'll be competing against Pogba and Kane for dividends a lot of the time.

He could yet turn out to be a good returner. But he's already playing a lot for United, already got a fair few caps under his belt. He might turn into a Salah and grab everybody's attention, but I think that would take United challenging for the title or Champions League next season.

Better returns to be had elsewhere, I would say. Either that or you're relying on people being patient when the returns aren't as good as they should be.

• @Willie-Mink who would you recommend I replace him with?

• @Willie-Mink said in Sea of Green:

@John-D

For me Rashford is all potential. His Index returns to date have been poor, despite having scored a fair few for club and country. A bit like an English Mbappe in Index terms (although clearly not as good).

For me it's now too much money to keep tied up in a player who will only sporadically make returns. Problem is he's not particularly performance friendly, and he's not United's nor England's main media draw. So he'll be competing against Pogba and Kane for dividends a lot of the time.

He could yet turn out to be a good returner. But he's already playing a lot for United, already got a fair few caps under his belt. He might turn into a Salah and grab everybody's attention, but I think that would take United challenging for the title or Champions League next season.

Better returns to be had elsewhere, I would say. Either that or you're relying on people being patient when the returns aren't as good as they should be.

That’s very short sighted mate, Rashford has had shackles on under Jose.
    The stats on Rashford are much more impressive than Kane at his age.
    This ‘kid’ is getting better, its pretty obvious by his recent performances.
    You’ve already got talk on the radio about him being one of the best strikers in the world ( talksport this morning).
    His following and media will just get bigger and snowball, contract talks are starting also which will probably lead to links with madrid and Barcelona just becuase that’s the way agents work. He is worth £200-300k a week going by today standards, I imagine ‘talks’ will carry on for a while to get a deal sorted.

• @John-D

Just realised that without thinking I assumed in my previous post that United won't go far in the Champions League this season. :D

I'll ignore players in my portfolio for the sake of balance, and stick to premium assets for ease. In my opinion better investments include:

• Thorgan Hazard
    • Timo Werner
    • Gabriel Jesus
    • Luka Jovic
    • Christian Eriksen
    • Nicolas Pepe
    • Suso
    • James Maddison
    • Felipe Anderson

They're all solid PB prospects, whether through goalscoring, high baselines or both, all (except maybe Jesus) are likely to have a transfer to a bigger club at some point, they're all either young or entering their prime, and a number aren't in the EPL yet, which would heighten prices.

Anyway, I feel like this thread has gone a bit off topic! Sorry about that :)

• @Willie-Mink off topic, so last comment. I have Hazard, Jovic, Jesus. I would be looking at Sancho, VJ, Paqueta, Felix or more Rodrygo, as possible options

• @Tom77

He is a player that COULD become one of the greats. But that's it - it's potential. It's only short-sighted in that I'd rather invest in other players that are more proven, rather than taking a risky bet that Rashford does become a better Index player than he's shown so far. If he doesn't, he's way over-priced. If he does, then sure, he's probably priced appropriately. Where's the upside? Sure, Index sentiment may take him above a sensible price for him if he does get an MB or PB win or two under his belt, but I don't chase profits based Index sentiment. Too fickle for me.

The problem is he will have to score A LOT of goals to justify his price, and semi-regularly score at least 2 goals in a game, which he doesn't have a habit of, to get any sniff of PB.

And Rashford is already at the world's best club side for MB, and is English. And yet doesn't get all that much media attention.

That may change, but it may not. And if it doesn't, he will look very expensive.

For what it's worth, I think the Index infatuation with youth will continue for a while longer. However, over the last 3 months the Index has risen by 6% according to Matt's Stats. In that time the top 250 aged 21 and younger have risen 28%! His wonderkid 40 has risen 16.3% in the last month alone!*

This to me looks like an unsustainable bubble, given most of these kids will not make it, and think it will burst at some point. I see no signs of that yet, but I'm not going to get in on it either. Rashford is one of the best prospects in this group. I owned him for a while and made a profit. But right now he's way overpriced for me.

But anyway, I'll shut up. I appreciate your thoughts - nothing like a bit of healthy disagreement on this forum :)

*Stats correct as of 16th Jan.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.