£500 to start. Spread it or go big on 2-3 players?!

• I have just got the app. I have £500 to start, please can somebody give me a little guidance. I have 10 players in mind. Some 2-5£. 1 £7+ and the rest below £1.50. Is this a good way to start or should I go big on 2-3 players??

• I would personally spread - look at maybe 1 big player with £100 on, 6 players with £50 and 5 players (young potential, good price) with £20 each.

• @kristiang85 thanks pal, appreciate it

• @NewUser230958 The logic is that if you made a bad choice, you shouldn't get too much of a loss, and come the share split you will also be in a good position. Also you can see which players grow best as you learn the platform.

Its not the 'get rich quick' way, but you should be in the green most days.

For the £100 player, invest in one of the big, high earners - e.g. Kane. He's lower-priced at the moment due to injury, but is a decent dividend earner, and when he comes back in 4-5 weeks you will see a steady increase. He's been one of my best dividend earners, and come share split will gain a fair bit of appreciation.

• Sorry, accidentally pressed enter.

I would, if it was me, buy something like:

£100 - Kane
    £50 - Mendy, Van Dijk, Jovic, Barnes, Son, Haller
    £20 - Adrien Thomasson, Emre Can, Kwon Chan-Hoon, Nestor Araujo, Ondrej Duda

DISCLAIMER: I hold all these, but I'm firm in my convictions they will grow :)

For the £20 especially, there are so many options for cheaper under £2 players you can go for - look in the "Cheap Players" thread for ideas, do your own research.

• Fortune favours the bold £500 on Kane , Neymar, Mbappe or Pogba. Plenty of dividends, seemingly steady growth and ought to be the fastest risers post split.

• Go with your instinct and decide whether you want to gamble it on a couple of players only, or spread the risk. I personally spent my first few months playing the trial and error game, and spent any gains I made on commission and instant selling to keep tweaking my portfolio. I now have a much larger pool of players(70) and with less shares in each than I originally had. My portfolio has gone up every day so far in 2019, even though some of my players have dropped for various reasons. Obviously, we all have different amounts to invest, and different strategies in who to invest in, but this diverse approach has seen my portfolio value go up over 10% since this time last month

• @CraigM I appreciate all the advice. I have gone with 10 players and £150 on one “high price” player. I think it’s going to be a case of trial and error in the first couple of months but I’m excited to get my portfolio in the green!

• @NewUser230958 who did you choose as your high price player and why? Never hurts to show your reasoning imo.

• @Weedster I have chosen Anthony martial. I think he’s looked in top form in recent weeks and with rashford and pogba currently stealing the lime light. I think he’s going slightly un noticed. I think it’s only a matter of time until rashford slows down and martial is firing.

• @NewUser230958 looks a good choice in my eyes. I hold and I think you're right and he's coming late to the party. Up 33p as we speak so lets hope you've got on at the right time. Good luck and keep the faith when a player dips into red, one of the main things on here is not to panic.

• @Weedster yeah I think that’s going to be something I need to get used to, I’ve come on here to steer away from betting. It’s strange watching a player decrease but I know that I’ve lost/gained nothing until I sell. Hopefully I’ll have enjoyable future with FI

• Martial is a good shout indeed. Good luck! :) (I bet within a month you'll have put another £500 in)

• I prefer to spread it thin, initially at least, over 30-40 surfire div winners. That’s how I’ve done with a similar amount. It means I’m winning something almost every day, small wins obviously but many of them. I know it’s not the fastest route to profit, but it means I’m not ‘betting bored’, with large time gaps between my wins.

• Buy Neymar (It will only buy 25 mind!).

• @NewUser140034 said in £500 to start. Spread it or go big on 2-3 players?!:

Buy Neymar (It will only buy 25 mind!).

I think today's sad news highlights the risk of putting all your eggs into one player, even a badly broken leg would completely destroy your portfolio.

I have a rule of not more than 5% in one player, personally.

• Yes very true, that was in jest I try and have a limit of 15of an individual which is now £200 in the big hitters.

• Hi mate,
    First welcome, thats my post from 11 days ago when other new trader asking about the same , the prices have changed from that time but the main point not at all so have a look - hope it help ;]

IMO, first you should ask HOW to build my port for a years with 500£ . Because you'll be know the main and fundamental reason why ppl here making 'nice and steady'profit (forgot about early birds cos they were here when Pogba or Messi @ 2£ or less...).Then you will be know what kind of players you should pick up for your port! Its many different traders here and ways to make money on FI ...But if you are thinking about year then diversity your port is must IMO!

Anyway, my tips:
    First group of the players are PB/MB monsters (they will give you in year 'some' dividends and then reinvest them in other players - I suggest look at lower end of the market and try find some future star who will bring you a capital appreciation or buy cheap players and flip with any profit etc, as well after SS they will rise again for sure):
    Pogba - simply MB monster x5 = 80.8£
    Kimmich - PB monster, top of the list - the best PB players so far x10 = 84£
    Neymar - mix PB/MB king of index x5 = 98£

Second group, young future star with capital appreciation and possibility PB/MB:
    Mbappe x6 = 82.26£
    Rashford x 10 = 86£ / Sancho x9 = 82.8£ / Martial x11= 78.11 ( added here Martial because you mentioned about him - he was at £6 when I posted this so look how things are changing here - now £7.81 ).

Third group, not many will agree but like I said its many different traders here with various vision ...Take a risk and try find another star NOW when is cheap :] or just buy more shares from bottom of the market:
    Lozano x10 = 37.4£
    Morgan Gibbs-White x10 = 32£

All together about 500£ ...enjoy mate and good luck!

• Just buy Neymar and Pogba

• @Ballertrader said in £500 to start. Spread it or go big on 2-3 players?!:

I prefer to spread it thin, initially at least, over 30-40 surfire div winners. That’s how I’ve done with a similar amount. It means I’m winning something almost every day, small wins obviously but many of them. I know it’s not the fastest route to profit, but it means I’m not ‘betting bored’, with large time gaps between my wins.

@Noony17
    That's the one problem with my portfolio which I've capped at 13 players...it can get a little boring when none of them are in the media or playing.
    But the capital appreciation of the long term holds are good so it's a case of sitting tight and not getting an itchy trigger finger for the sake of some trading "action"

*note: of the 13 players currently held, 5 of them are part of a constantly rotating 30 day system - I buy with the intention of short term gains, either from in-play goal/assist dividends or possibly transfer rumours etc. This means at least 3-5 times a month I make a trade (depending on the growth of these investments) which satisfies the desire to be active in the market.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.