3 year rule

• So ive just started on FI and have seen the 3 year rule. In effect does this mean if i find a youth player for e.g. £1 and he becomes a world beater and rises to £10, i'll have no choice but to sell my shares at £10 plus commission then buy them back at £10? My point is that a lot of people told me this platform can be used for long term investments..seems more short/mid terms doesnt it?

• @NewUser260763 said in 3 year rule:

So ive just started on FI and have seen the 3 year rule. In effect does this mean if i find a youth player for e.g. £1 and he becomes a world beater and rises to £10, i'll have no choice but to sell my shares at £10 plus commission then buy them back at £10? My point is that a lot of people told me this platform can be used for long term investments..seems more short/mid terms doesnt it?

Or just jump on the next £1 player u believe in, the point is you don't have to pay tax with the 3 year law, so 2% commission is a belter of a deal.

• If you make 1000% profit in 3 years, isn't that job accomplished? And no absolutely do not sell for £10 - commission and then immediately rebuy at £10?!?!?!? Who would...
    Cash out/re-invest. Pretty much all investments mature... 3 years is pretty good tax free.

• @Vespasian32 Of course, I only say rebuy as if you take mbappe for example, i'd back him to continue that meteoric development over the next 3 years too so just a shame if you do spot a steal it cant be left to grow.

• When it was approaching 3rd anniversary of FI and some futures where reaching the 3 years they added an extension of a year.
    Is this still rolling?

If a future was 3 years old on 1st feb, will that get an extra year.

Are we now in a position where all futures are a 4 year roll unless they rescind the extension and if they do that what happens to those that are already over 3 but not 4.

They may have created confusion where there was none as the 3 year rule was quite clear!

• @NewUser260763 said in 3 year rule:

@Vespasian32 Of course, I only say rebuy as if you take mbappe for example, i'd back him to continue that meteoric development over the next 3 years too so just a shame if you do spot a steal it cant be left to grow.

If you could hold in perpetuity you’d have to pay capital gains tax when you eventually sold so this is actually a better deal. You can still rebuy and let it continue to grow, so just think of it as a 2% renewal fee. Which is a pretty sweet deal.

• There has to be a time limit, otherwise people could buy futures, hold them indefinitely (or until that player retires) and keep collecting dividends.

I very much doubt that would be a sustainable business model for FI.

• Chances are if you buy a player making belting rises you'd be continually topping up over the 3 years. So you'd only need to get rid of the oldest futures.

I'd also expect to have sold off the odd future along the way. So chances are none of your futures would make it to 3 years.

• Out of curiosity, are you forced to sell then are you once you hit three years? I’ve read up on most things but haven’t accounted for this too much at the moment

• @Shippers rumour has it you are pre warned if you have futures coming up to 3 years old.

But if you don't sell them you just lose the money.

• I believe you will continue to hold the shares in the player keeping the money invested but the futures will no longer gain you dividend payments.

• @NewUser181601 If you don't know please don't answer. It can lead to the spread of misinformation.

• @Misto
    I have read the FAQ on FI that states -

A Share lasts for three (3) years from the date you place the Bet (the “Share Period”).

Upon the expiry of the Share Period, the Bet will expire – meaning that you will lose your stake and the right to participate in any Dividend. In advance of the expiry of the Share Period, it is open to you to take steps to sell the Share via the Website and/or the App and buy new Shares in the same footballer. This will result in ‘resetting’ the Share Period associated with the new Shares in that footballer.

It appears I had initially misinterpreted it and you will lose your invested money if the shares are not sold before the 3 years expiry. However, please feel to correct me if I am mistaken.

• @NewUser181601 Nope. Your understand correctly now. Just one thing to point out your shares work first in first out, so if you top up and sell. It's your oldest shares that are sold first.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.