The index is funny sometimes

• Just one example.

Che Adams, of mid-table championship side Birmingham City, is £1 MORE EXPENSIVE than the highest priced player for the side currently sitting pretty in 7th in the Premier League.

Yes, I understand he may well move to the PL in the summer but that's the point - speculation seems to beat reality 99 times out of 100 on here.

• Yep. But he's young, English, a striker and he scores goals so he's worth more.

You only need to look at the top of the rankings today to see Mandi top and only £1.36. He's a constantly good PB scorer who finally got his go at the top tonight. Quite reasonable to see when you analyse the data but you only need to see the amount of people on here asking what MB and PB are to realise there are lots of people that don't really understand what they're doing with who they're buying.

• Yep it dose not make a lot of sense. For less then 30p more you can buy Leon Goretzka. Who’s young already at one of the top clubs playing regular and winning dividend
    Why dose being British make you worth so much more? Can’t just be the MB.

• Hudson Odei played about 10mins of premiership football and higher than Sterling !!

• @NewUser172727 madness..... 🔥🔥🔥

• @NewUser218220 great comparison with Goretzka - a natural talent at the heart of the midfield for one of the best sides in Europe - yet only marginally more expensive than an OK-ish, young-ish striker from a non-PB league!

My earlier comparison with Watford (my team obv) probably sounds like sour grapes (yes I do own one or two Watford players and yes, they have yielded the occasional dividend). But it's really a wider point about the market simply not making much sense at the moment.

The next time some unknown youngster is IPO'd I'm jumping on!!

• The market never will make too much sense unless a perfect pb scoring matrix is delivered to really reward the right players.
    It’s not overly bad right now with Messi winning more than regularly but there are players winning these that probably shouldn’t be.
    Successful dribbles need inclusion and the game winning goal needs removal just for starters.

• I brought into Che Adams a week about after all the sudden transfer hype...dropped within 24 hours but climbed his way back up and I'm in a positive currently. Will be a mini tug of war in the summer I think...then I'm selling!!

• @Timothee-Atouba how do you define a successful dribble ? how many players does he have to get past for it to be a dribble ? what makes it successful , the ball at his feet, or winning a throw or free kick ? Does booting it down the wing and running past 2 defenders count as a dribble ? just playing devils advocate as its a bit of a grey area

• @Boing-Boing

Agree entirely. No easy way.
    Hazards dribbles deserve scoring reward more than the 10 yard sideways pass of Jonathan Tah or Brozovic.
    There are obviously places that quantify successful dribbles.

• I don't think it would be wise for FI to change the way PB is scored - users have invested millions purely based on which players perform best in the current system, to change the goalposts now could be catastrophic.

There will always be a difference in opinion of the scoring system.

• @Chris-J Whilst I agree with this, I still think the 'game winning goal' can be removed. Don't think many people invest with this in mind as it is a bit of lottery. I guess it makes strikers more valuable as they are more likely to get this goal, but it seems a bit of a lottery to me.

• @Chris-J said in The index is funny sometimes:

I don't think it would be wise for FI to change the way PB is scored - users have invested millions purely based on which players perform best in the current system, to change the goalposts now could be catastrophic.

There will always be a difference in opinion of the scoring system.

I hear you and certainly agree to a point. But are you suggesting that this product is never modified again?
    What about capturing the worldwide market when the media would have to include all the French, German, Spanish and Italian news?
    What a stir up that will be!
    This product cannot realise it’s potential without change.

• @Timothee-Atouba Fair points - I don't think current users would mind MB changes if it opened the market up to new countries and triggered new waves of investment.

I don't think changing the PB scoring system would do anything other than move existing investment around. I think minor tweaks would be accepted, but any major overhaul (including reducing/removing GWG) would be negatively received by most current users. Maybe a good old democratic poll would be the best way to decide on any future PB/MB changes.

• @Chris-J said in The index is funny sometimes:

@Timothee-Atouba Fair points - I don't think current users would mind MB changes if it opened the market up to new countries and triggered new waves of investment.

I don't think changing the PB scoring system would do anything other than move existing investment around. I think minor tweaks would be accepted, but any major overhaul (including reducing/removing GWG) would be negatively received by most current users. Maybe a good old democratic poll would be the best way to decide on any future PB/MB changes.

Less mentioning of democratic polls the better.
    We’ll be three years down the line and pestering for a re-vote before the implementation of the original democratic vote!

• You have a point tbh, will be interesting to see where a lot of these youngsters are in terms of price in 12-18 months time. Adams is already over 50p more expensive than players like Jimenez/Deulofeu who are having decent seasons in the prem.

• @NewUser82416 … more hype around Adams than a lot of others though. Of course one league lower but the boy is on fire.

• @Weggers83 said in The index is funny sometimes:

@Chris-J Whilst I agree with this, I still think the 'game winning goal' can be removed. Don't think many people invest with this in mind as it is a bit of lottery. I guess it makes strikers more valuable as they are more likely to get this goal, but it seems a bit of a lottery to me.

Interesting, I see it the other way. In my mind removing gwg makes just goals in general more rewarding. For instance now the player who scores first in a 3-0 win will have more points than a player scoring goals 2&3. Remove gwg and the player with 2 goals has a higher value (which seems far more logical).... So now goals are more valuable id be more inclined to buy strikers than currently. If defender scores first currently, I'm pretty sure my strikers isn't getting pb... In an all goals are equal system I'd still be following the game backing my striker to pinch a goal or two and still have a chance.

• @Vespasian32

Well said that man. Put the GWG in the bin.

• Another example is Joao Felix shooting up in price after his goal today , for god sakes when will people realise that he's not in a PB league and will not win you any dividends, he's not gonna win media dividends either considering he scored a goal in the Portuguese mickey mouse league. I'm staring to realise more and more, especially with the influx of a lot new comers in January, that a lot of people are not actually aware of how dividends work and they assume every game counts!