New members : When to sell ?

• A simple question that every new member will hopefully be keen to ask, based on lots of profitable choices a few months in and an eagerness to own a higher number of players.

In an effort to give a simple general answer, I'd offer the following :

When logging into FI you'll see a tab with the day's highest rising players.
    The top 5. Measured in percentages (a far better measure than the daily ratings on top 200 and squad lists, measured in pence increases)
    Based on the volume of players listed on the index, one could assume that any player stands a good chance of appearing on this top 5 list at some point. Within the 3 year holding period and hopefully far sooner.
    One of each share and you should be selling 5 players a day right ?

If they appear on the list, wait......watch for the peak, then into the sell que as others will still be getting in, before a subsequent dip after the surge is over.

As a simple and general answer to new members asking the question. I'd say that's a good optimum at which to sell.

Players appearing on that list prior to buying should be considered a high risk investment, you could be buying at exactly the wrong time. Do not fall for the temptation of the £1 Zlatan (which I suspect is paying someone's rent).

• @C-Arroyo said in New members : When to sell ?:

A simple question that every new member will hopefully be keen to ask, based on lots of profitable choices a few months in and an eagerness to own a higher number of players.

In an effort to give a simple general answer, I'd offer the following :

When logging into FI you'll see a tab with the day's highest rising players.
    The top 5. Measured in percentages (a far better measure than the daily ratings on top 200 and squad lists, measured in pence increases)
    Based on the volume of players listed on the index, one could assume that any player stands a good chance of appearing on this top 5 list at some point. Within the 3 year holding period and hopefully far sooner.
    One of each share and you should be selling 5 players a day right ?

If they appear on the list, wait......watch for the peak, then into the sell que as others will still be getting in, before a subsequent dip after the surge is over.

As a simple and general answer to new members asking the question. I'd say that's a good optimum at which to sell.

Players appearing on that list prior to buying should be considered a high risk investment, you could be buying at exactly the wrong time. Do not fall for the temptation of the £1 Zlatan (which I suspect is paying someone's rent).

That's a lot of words to say "sell at the highest price before they drop".

The trouble is of course you won't know what the peak is until you've passed it, by which point the sell queue is probably a bit more packed out with others ahead of you meaning you can get caught trying to sell at the same time as everyone else when no one's buying. I'd say it's better to have an exit strategy in place when you buy someone, be it selling 25% of your holding once you get to a certain profit and then drop feeding the rest out, selling completely at a certain point or selling enough to cover the initial spend and then essentially having "free" futures. There's several different ways to do it depending on your own strategy and attitude to risk.

Of course if the reason you've bought is for dividends over 2-3 years then you don't need to think about selling as the price is almost irrelevant as it goes up and down unless they're getting on a bit or have had a serious injury etc.