Soccer Tribe - Social anthropological deconstruction of Football and why FI/betting is reprogramming it.

• Why was their such enmity in some posts after the Utd game, yesterday? Why was the Liverpool title winning thread so popular amongst it's contributors both for and against? Why are the same supporters conflicted by FI?

The nuance is relatively complicated and it's often disguised behind statistics and objective/subjective statements as to prove superiority. My team is better than yours etc. However, the answer is quite easy and obvious when I say it because football is tribal.

Desmond Morris wrote a book in the 70's called Soccer Tribe in which he contended that football had replaced hunting as a tribal activity and therefore a social requirement.

(Taken from the precis for the book on Amazon)
    Included are:
    "Rituals" (the taboos and punishments, goals and strategies); "Heroes" (their skills and superstitions, triumphs and defeats);
    "Trappings" (balls, costumes, banners and badges, trophies and medals); "Elders" (directors and referees, managers and trainers);
    "Followers" (old and young, celebrities and fans); and the
    "Tribal Tongue" (chants and slogans, cheers and curses).

It's clear that each supporter of a team can readily identify with the above in the terms of their own history and club culture.

Football as a tribal culture yearns for you not to be objective. To hate your rival regardless of the circumstances, in fact your very own tribe in most cases demand that as part of the membership. As an example I cannot like Burnley if I am a Halifax Town supporter and they play at "Turd Moor" or the simple fact that Watford fans refer to Luton town as Scum town.

Now if i add into this escapist tribal midst a method of increasing my own currency/social standing/respect from peers as a result being successful on a pseudo public notice board then my decisions are in some instances "opposed" to my tribe.

Why do i own futures in X when he plays for the despised team Y? It's because my personal gain (plus an element of anonymity if so used) means that i can tangibly gain at the cost of my tribe. This creates the inner conflict that owning Paul Pogba has for Liverpool fans despite the very obvious fact that he would earn me more than say a Jordan Henderson. Should I tell anyone about that? Do i want Liverpool to win 2-0 or 2-1 and have Pogba score the consolation goal? Do I want Liverpool knocked out of the CL because i own Salah even though it means as a Utd fan I might meet them in the next round?

I thinks it's all rather confusing and mainly because now rather than the blind obedience that being part of the tribe offers there are reasons to doubt or even start to understand other players value when weighed against my own tribal instinct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaPKy4JJKFM

• Interesting read, my problem with the OMFG thread yesterday was why was it even there? People have moaned about unnecessary posts, do we now have to expect a new thread for every game ? It could of gone in the thread that Misto creates every day, or one of the other numerous Man Utd threads that have knocked about. Even the OP from that thread has complained about the amount of uneeded threads on the forum !!!
    but going back to your thread I will never buy Jack Grealish cuz the Villa are shite !!

• I once appealed outraged to the census makers after they tried to brand that star trek shite (called astris scienta i believe) a religion... when 'football' is more powerful more global and more (as you say) tribal than many actual religions including what a few star trek geeks might think.

After all my sport is my religion.. my faith is my club... my church is my stadium... etc

But that's not to say i really get the whole tribal thing...

I play football... I watch football... I like it when my club wins... sometimes i get overjoyed... i don't like it when we lose.. sometimes i take it badly.. But those things are usually irrelevant a day or so after...

The club down the road who all my mates don't like... I really couldn't care a shit for... it's not that i'm not tribal... its just that i really don't care what they do win lose or draw.. because they are not 'my team'... In fact... the only reason i don't like them is because everyone else i know don't like them and they tell me not to like them too... this makes them more of an enemy i suppose... but because i don't stand up if we hate them and sing dated songs about them it doesn't mean i love my team any less... I celebrate every winning goal and three point the same regardless of who we play.... Although i understand when it is a 'big game' or not... and playing 'the enemy' is and should always be treated as a big game.

However my love for football outweighs the love for my faith.. my club.. my church... my team... after all without football, there is no team, there is no church...

This is why i do not get the violence in the game, the excuse for yobbishness, the Superclassico Libertadores was a huge huge let down for me... Two teams so scared to lose that they did everything in their powers to try and get the game abandoned, rather than celebrate what should have been the greatest match in South American club football ever. The showpiece to the beautiful game and Argentina coming together as one proud nation to say 'this is how we do it'...

One reason i feel tribalism is overrated in football!!!!

So i'm not for tribalism per se but i do get the reverse psychology of putting money on something you don't want to happen... after all whats the worst that can happen by betting on the opposition? Your team gets beat and you win some cash??? or you lose some money and your team win??? this is called WIN WIN or playing the odds... Smart investing and spreading the risk is something we all try and do on FI... so 'just because' your Dad tells you to hate all scousers doesn't mean you can't love Wayne Rooney... Because one day you never know... he might just be playing for your team!!!!

• @Boing-Boing said in Soccer Tribe - Social anthropological deconstruction of Football and why FI/betting is reprogramming it.:

Interesting read, my problem with the OMFG thread yesterday was why was it even there? People have moaned about unnecessary posts, do we now have to expect a new thread for every game ? It could of gone in the thread that Misto creates every day, or one of the other numerous Man Utd threads that have knocked about. Even the OP from that thread has complained about the amount of uneeded threads on the forum !!!
    but going back to your thread I will never buy Jack Grealish cuz the Villa are shite !!

Ok mate, I put that post as u are probably aware, yes I've complained about the amount of posts, but that was actually referring to the amount of posts that are repeated, think I've seen over 100 regarding suspended accounts and similar situations, so what you wrote is partially misinterpreted if you are referring to my post complaining about amount of posts.
    I actually changed my opinion anyway and decided to just go through the new posts quickly and deciding which are worth a read and following. It's become way too big to care about anymore, just ignore the posts that don't intrest you.

Looks like your connection to Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.