Holding a large balance in anticipation of the SS & announcement

• For anyone who is worried that the market has flattened off recently i'm sure this is the main factor in this.

Instead of re-investing money from sales I've been storing it ready for the announcement to ensure I am putting it to best use. I currently have a large balance (in my terms) ready to invest and i'm sure there are many more like me.

The share split will not only encourage new deposits but also mass re-investment of existing balances.

The million dollar question is which players will it all go in to first?

• Also with Cheltenham being on and international break coming up things are bound to slow for a couple of days

• I hold you’re right. My portfolio has been as flat as a pancake for a couple of weeks now.

• I had been sitting on a chunk but have already spent a bit since the maintenance on Monday. It seems very likely that media will be opened up to the whole platform and so I have already spent money on Balotelli and Lindelof.

Balotelli because he's still newsworthy (480 MB points on Monday) and in a PB league.

Lindelof simply because he plays for Man U and is called 'Victor', which will mean he should hit big scores any time he does something newsworthy.

• @ocs123 I wish mine had stayed flat! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️😊

• @Yellow
    He also plays alongside the FI king who gets all the plaudits post game

• @NewUser280785 said in Holding a large balance in anticipation of the SS & announcement:

@Yellow
    He also plays alongside the FI king who gets all the plaudits post game

Who, Balotelli?

• @Yellow
    Lindelof

• @NewUser280785 said in Holding a large balance in anticipation of the SS & announcement:

@Yellow
    Lindelof

Yes, Lindelof does play with Pogba, you're correct. And Pogba is the king of the index, you are correct there too. But Pogba's name doesn't have the word 'Victor' in it. Lindelof's does. The story will go to Lindelof provided Victor Lindelof is in the title, which it will be if he does something of note. When he does, the theory is that he will get good MB for it due to the sentiment scoring system counting 'Victor' as a positive word.

This is potentially a huge advantage he has for MB over similarly priced players if MB is opened up to all.

• @Yellow makes sense - Is there a concern that FI will update their algorithm to avoid this type of ‘false’ scoring?

I remember Fred scoring high earlier in the season because Freddie Ljungberg mention man United in an interview.

• @Chris-J doubt it. They have never fixed "united" being a +1 scoring word, hence giving Manchester United players a 20 points boost each time and those 20 points add up fast.

• @Chris-J said in Holding a large balance in anticipation of the SS & announcement:

@Yellow makes sense - Is there a concern that FI will update their algorithm to avoid this type of ‘false’ scoring?

I remember Fred scoring high earlier in the season because Freddie Ljungberg mention man United in an interview.

Possibly, but that's the gamble, although I don't see how easy it would be for them to do it. It's also a gamble that they may not open media up to the whole index. But given that Mike polled Twitter about the prospect (and got a clear majority in favour), the 3 media places appeared after testing, and the media stories are appearing for all players I think it's very likely.

Even if not, I think it's low risk high reward given that he's already in a PB league and there are enough Man U fans on FI to prop his price up anyway.

Regarding your example - Fred isn't the only one. Marcelo is currently on 360 MB points. 300 of those are because the algorithm is picking up Marcelo Biesla. This is where I would say there is clear cause for those points to be removed (likewise on your Fred example), because that's just not right. As far as I'm aware, this is done manually, which would suggest this is an easier way for FI to manage it rather than alter the algorithm.

The fact Lindelof is called 'Victor' is more just good fortune I think. Likewise, I clocked Balotelli scoring great points on Monday because he scored against 'Nice' (positive word). If he was still at Nice he would be a gold mine I think.

• @Yellow said in Holding a large balance in anticipation of the SS & announcement:

@NewUser280785 said in Holding a large balance in anticipation of the SS & announcement:

@Yellow
    Lindelof

Yes, Lindelof does play with Pogba, you're correct. And Pogba is the king of the index, you are correct there too. But Pogba's name doesn't have the word 'Victor' in it. Lindelof's does. The story will go to Lindelof provided Victor Lindelof is in the title, which it will be if he does something of note. When he does, the theory is that he will get good MB for it due to the sentiment scoring system counting 'Victor' as a positive word.

This is potentially a huge advantage he has for MB over similarly priced players if MB is opened up to all.

Its not just a theory .... during the transfer to United, he was clocking up crazy scores. Loads of his articles were hitting 200 for barely anything - ie going shopping.

Suppose the danger is it getting corrected which we probably aren't going to know till it happens. A lot of people (anyone here before PB) know about him though so there should be flip opportunities if it is opened up which was the route I was taking.

• @Misto you understand the current MB scoring system better than most. Do you know how many points the following headlines would score? (Using Fabinho as he's similar price at a similar size club).

Victor Lindelof puts in great performance in United win.

Fabinho puts in great performance in Liverpool win.

• @Yellow First time I've looked but "victor" isn't a word list in AFINN-111. I've done some tests below and found some interesting things.

https://footballindex.news/the-science-behind-the-buzz/

AFINN-111

Great = 3
    United = 1
    Win = 4

Total 8

8+1 = 9 time 20. Total points 180

Great = 3
    Win = 4

Total

7+1 = 8 time 20. Total points 160

Lets test a few to see if we can work out what is going on.

Bayern Munich 1-3 (agg 1-3) Liverpool: Sadio Mane double helps Jurgen Klopp’s men reach Champions League quarter-finals 120points

Helps 2
    Reach 1

3+1*20=80 NO MATCH (I would guess champions is a word FI added)

'Brilliant. It's absolutely brilliant': BT Sport's Michael Owen heaps praise on Sadio Mane 80points

Praise 3

3+1*20=80 MATCH (interesting brilliant is a word, but the ' is stopping it being picked up)

What Sadio Mane did before scoring that made Liverpool goal even more impressive 80points

impressive 3

3+1*20=80 MATCH

Bayern vs Liverpool player ratings: Sadio Mane scores two goals in superb Champions League result 160points

superb 5

5+1*20=120 NO MATCH (40 points short like the 1st example I did. I think we can say "champions" is worth 2 point)

Cristiano Ronaldo hailed as 'best player in the world' after Juventus heroics 60 points

hailed 2

2+1*20=60 MATCH (same thing happened again with the comma, best is worth 3 points but didn't get picked up and heroic is worth 3 points, but heroics isn't worth anything)

So we learned from this there are extra words FI use outside the stated AFINN-111 list and if commas or quotation marks are attached to a word it doesn't count.

If anyone has some Victor Lindelof headlines with the scores, we can work out how many points "victor" is worth.

• @Misto said in Holding a large balance in anticipation of the SS & announcement:

@Yellow First time I've looked but "victor" isn't a word list in AFINN-111. I've done some tests below and found some interesting things.

https://footballindex.news/the-science-behind-the-buzz/

AFINN-111

Great = 3
    United = 1
    Win = 4

Total 8

8+1 = 9 time 20. Total points 180

Great = 3
    Win = 4

Total

7+1 = 8 time 20. Total points 160

Lets test a few to see if we can work out what is going on.

Bayern Munich 1-3 (agg 1-3) Liverpool: Sadio Mane double helps Jurgen Klopp’s men reach Champions League quarter-finals 120points

Helps 2
    Reach 1

3+1*20=80 NO MATCH (I would guess champions is a word FI added)

'Brilliant. It's absolutely brilliant': BT Sport's Michael Owen heaps praise on Sadio Mane 80points

Praise 3

3+1*20=80 MATCH (interesting brilliant is a word, but the ' is stopping it being picked up)

What Sadio Mane did before scoring that made Liverpool goal even more impressive 80points

impressive 3

3+1*20=80 MATCH

Bayern vs Liverpool player ratings: Sadio Mane scores two goals in superb Champions League result 160points

superb 5

5+1*20=120 NO MATCH (40 points short like the 1st example I did. I think we can say "champions" is worth 2 point)

Cristiano Ronaldo hailed as 'best player in the world' after Juventus heroics 60 points

hailed 2

2+1*20=60 MATCH (same thing happened again with the comma, best is worth 3 points but didn't get picked up and heroic is worth 3 points, but heroics isn't worth anything)

So we learned from this there are extra words FI use outside the stated AFINN-111 list and if commas or quotation marks are attached to a word it doesn't count.

If anyone has some Victor Lindelof headlines with the scores, we can work out how many points "victor" is worth.

QUICK PANIC! INSTANT SELL!

Only joking. I'm assuming the 'United' factor applies to players of West Ham, Newcastle etc too? And if FI are adding words in then a definitive list must exist somewhere. I wonder what Victor is worth, if anything. Given what @mike778 said, it would seem to be worth something. I will sporadically check Victor's and report back when I see 👍

Interestingly 'Nice' is worth 3. Worth bearing in mind if a Zlatan type rocks up at Nice in the future. Balotelli got 220 points for this Daily Mail headline on Monday:

Marseille boss Rudi Garcia full of praise for Mario Balotelli after winner against former club Nice.

Praise 3
    Winner 4
    Nice 3

10+1*20 = 220.

• If only Isaac Success had a career to match his surname

• @Chris-J said in Holding a large balance in anticipation of the SS & announcement:

If only Isaac Success has a career to match his surname

If he transfers to Nice I'm buying a shed load.

• @Yellow yes the United factor applies to those teams too, but many articles just use Newcastle or West Ham, whereas with Manchester United they can't just use Manchester, but they could write Man Utd, a lot of luck involved tbh, sucks that Victor wasn't a word thoufh otherwise you'd have done your homework very well.

Looks like your connection to Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.