Understanding MB???

• I really don't get the weighting on the MB. Sterling is in several papers with a massive story of Zidane wanting him at Madrid. One of the biggest clubs in the world, he scores 80 points. Yet Wan Bissaka being courted by DR Congo with the story in 1 paper warrants 120 points. Can someone give me the logic behind this please?

• its based on key words mate and each word is worth a set amount of points. Then its multiplied by 20.
    United is worth a point, which is why Pogba, Lukaku etc get higher scores, and Man Utd players are generally higher £

There's a good thread somewhere on the site with the buzz words listed.

• @Munchie63 I'm having a problem understanding this subject as well.
    Higuaín is mentioned in the daily mail twice and he gets 40 points then 100 points but it is for the same article.

Don't get being awarded twice for the same article.

• @Gazz127
    I'm still quite new to the site mate, but tried to read up on this as much as I could.
    Try looking through the forum for the thread about keywords.

There's a good youtube vid too but cant remember who put that up

• @Munchie63 Cheers as I feel I need to try and understand how this works.

• @BarbayanBrawler

I'm sure somebody mentioned a while back that Lindelof at Man Utd often scores well on the MB because his first name is Victor.

The word 'victor' is a positive descriptor and scores points as a result.

It's nonsense, but if those are the rules. Take advantage of them.

All we need to do now is find the next big thing out of Africa with a name like

Fabulous Diop 😉

• @BarbayanBrawler

https://forums.footballindex.co.uk/topic/5017/all-things-football-index

Q- What is MB?
    A- MB is short for Media Buzz.

Overview:

MB pays out every day with 5p for first place when PB (performance buzz) games are being played.
    On none PB game days the top 3 places are paid as followed 8p for 1st, 5p for 2nd and 2p for 3rd
    Only the top 200 players are eligible to win MB.
    You have own the shares before 2pm to win MB on any given day.

The article has to contain the players whole name as per Football Index. Eg “Ronaldo” wouldn’t score any points, "Cristiano Ronaldo" would score points. This gives a massive advantage for single name players on the Football Index, eg Neymar.

RSS feeds from UK based news outlets are used to gather the articles for MB.

News feeds that get scanned for articles with players names are:

Talksport, UEFA. The FA, ESPN, FIFA, Football League, Daily Mail, Daily Star, The Times, Telegraph, Independent, Express, Guardian, Metro, Daily Mirror, BBC, Football365, Goal.com, Huffington Post, Sky Sports.

Some you will never see because they either don't use RSS feeds or exclusively use only players surnames.

News relating to illegal activity doesn’t count, it may get added but will be manually removed. (most the time)

Media Buzz is updated every 30 mins on average

The formula:

A sentiment score is used to measure the sentiment of the article. The more positive the article the more points it scores. The exact model used is AFINN-111. AFINN is a list of English words rated for valence with an integer between minus five (negative) and plus five (positive). The words have been manually labeled by Finn Årup Nielsen between 2009-2011.

There is list of 2477 words and each world has a score of between -5 and +5.

All the words are totaled and a formula applied to give the articles total score, some examples below:

Win + 4
    Stunning +4
    United +1
    Loser -3
    Lost -3
    Losing -3
    Injury - 2

A full list of words can be found here:

https://github.com/uwescience/datasci_course_materials/blob/master/assignment1/AFINN-111.txt

Football Index adds up the scoring words, then adds 1 and times by 20 to get the final article score for positive articles.

Eg: Paul Pogba enjoying (+2) life under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and celebrates(+3) win (+4) with new haircut.

This article would have a total of 9. So we add 1 to get 10 then times by 20. Giving a total of 200.

You can’t get a minus points article. If a article puts out a negative total score, you half it, flip it to a positive number and then add 1 and times by 20 to get the total

Eg: Game abandoned (-2) after Harry Kane accidentally (-2) forgot his boots.

This article would have a total of -4. So we half it -2 then make it a positive number 2 add 1 to get 3 then times by 20. Gives a total of 60 points.

Interesting note. United give +1 which is part of the reason Manchester United player do so well with MB, because any article that has the club name in it gives them a plus 20 score boost.

• @Misto hmm... Just looking at the qualifying words list.

Some big inconsistencies in there.

A plural equivalent of nearly every word except 'winner' (has win, wins & winner but no 'winners')?

Champion/ Champions is not included?

Includes words like roflcopter??!!

United should be removed as it clearly favours a specific team/ group. 'Real' would be the same but is not included...

• @Metropolis champions is included. FI added words but didn't up date the users any where to the word added. Champions is worth 2 points. You can work them out, would be nice if FI would just list them.

Champions league in the headline wins points. Victor is also worth points just not worked out how many yet.

The reason there are words that would be stupid for a football headline is FI didn't write the list. It was originally made to scan twitter and work out the sentiment of tweets.

On the official FI write up for MB they just list AFINN-111, but the clearly have extra words they added.

• If I was a Premier League player I would change my name by deed poll to Victor Champion and buy a shedload of shares in myself on FI. Lifetime riches, sorted.

• Imagine the frenzy when 13 year old Manchester United Academy prospect Victor Champion is announced as the next IPO!

• @Misto OK, but that contradicts the argument that we should setup our portfolios to follow the current system (that's not aimed at you by the way!). How can we, when it isn't outlined clearly and up to date.

They should definitely publish the list. Otherwise it gets really confusing and if they are ok to make revisions to this, then why not other aspects?

Just out of interest, how did you find out about this?

• @Metropolis Just popping out. I'll do you a write up later about MB and what I know.

• @Misto no worries. Only if/ when you have time.

You should consider publishing some of your knowledge and make a little ££?

• @Metropolis Here is a copy and paste of some working outs I was doing with @Yellow. Talking about Victor as a buzz scoring word.

First time I've looked but "victor" isn't a word list in AFINN-111. I've done some tests below and found some interesting things.

https://footballindex.news/the-science-behind-the-buzz/ - This is Football Index's official explanation of MB.

Victor Lindelof puts in great performance in United win.

Great = 3
    United = 1
    Win = 4

Total 8

8+1 = 9 time 20. Total points 180

We know it would be move because we have seen in the past "victor" scores points.

Fabinho puts in great performance in Liverpool win.

Great = 3
    Win = 4

Total

7+1 = 8 time 20. Total points 160

Lets test a few to see if we can work out what is going on.

Bayern Munich 1-3 (agg 1-3) Liverpool: Sadio Mane double helps Jurgen Klopp’s men reach Champions League quarter-finals 120points

Helps 2
    Reach 1

3+1*20=80 NO MATCH (I would guess champions is a word FI added)

'Brilliant. It's absolutely brilliant': BT Sport's Michael Owen heaps praise on Sadio Mane 80points

Praise 3

3+1*20=80 MATCH (interesting brilliant is a word, but the ' is stopping it being picked up)

What Sadio Mane did before scoring that made Liverpool goal even more impressive 80points

impressive 3

3+1*20=80 MATCH

Bayern vs Liverpool player ratings: Sadio Mane scores two goals in superb Champions League result 160points

superb 5

5+1*20=120 NO MATCH (40 points short like the 1st example I did. I think we can say "champions" is worth 2 point)

Cristiano Ronaldo hailed as 'best player in the world' after Juventus heroics 60 points

hailed 2

2+1*20=60 MATCH (same thing happened again with the comma, best is worth 3 points but didn't get picked up and heroic is worth 3 points, but heroics isn't worth anything)

So we learned from this there are extra words FI use outside the stated AFINN-111 list and if commas or quotation marks are attached to a word it doesn't count.

If anyone has some Victor Lindelof headlines with the scores, we can work out how many points "victor" is worth.

I've message FI to see if we can get a list or link to all the words FI uses and not just the AFINN-111 list. If I hear back i'll post them here.

• @johnboywalker said in Understanding MB???:

@BarbayanBrawler

I'm sure somebody mentioned a while back that Lindelof at Man Utd often scores well on the MB because his first name is Victor.

Fabulous Diop 😉

Just to be a smart ass 'victor' doesn't score any points on the system - so anyone buying Victor Lindelof solely on this basis has basically been sold a tin of magic beans. 👍

(Pisses all over the chips) Good day to all.... 🙄

• @Ericali read my post above. "champions" doesn't score any points according to FI's explanation of MB but it clearly is. So Victor might be another word not on the list.

• @Ericali said in Understanding MB???:

@johnboywalker said in Understanding MB???:

@BarbayanBrawler

Fabulous Diop 😉

Just to be a smart ass 'victor' doesn't score any points on the system - so anyone buying Victor Lindelof solely on this basis has basically been sold a tin of magic beans. 👍

(Pisses all over the chips) Good day to all.... 🙄

Hey, maybe I'm wrong ...

Here is one I'm certain of though @Ericali.

'wanker' scores -3 points.

😉👍

• @johnboywalker 🤣🤣🤣

• Don't hold Lindelof so no vested interest but during his transfer practically every article about him scored over 200pts. Even articles about him shopping in Manchester with his Mrs I seem to remember. He picked up 52p in media returns during that time (joint 23rd highest MB return since Jan 1st 2017)

It was always the assumption that Victor being a positive word was the reason.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.