Long term price appreciation strategy

• Great post ! I think this is a really good idea, i never really thought of it as a "strategy" per se, but i definitely think it could be used.
    I've made some really good returns recently when Immobile got banned, and Dybala got dropped. I also noticed that Diego Costa was way too cheap at £2.20 with his Atletico debut soon, their EURO cup prospects, and the world cup. He's now at £2.32. The same could be said of Vitolo who's trading at 64p despite being transferred to Atletico for £33m and playing for Spain, - although bizarrely he hasn't started to rise yet :-(
    Vidal also doesn't look to have recovered his price since he had those troubles in November, although he's been playing well recently. So looks a bargain at £1.18.

• @NewUser105497 Costa has to be a good buy - fantastic striker, still only 29, playing again soon ++ i really don't see why his price can't hit £4

• @NewUser105497 thanks for the feedback. Glad you have had some success with this strategy too

• @NewUser9338 If he's playing in Spain wouldn't that mean he's unlikely to get media buzz and only possibly performance buzz if he's lucky?

• @NewUser59855 i think he's still got a chance with mb, as he's a big personality & papers here always need stories. depends on his wc role also. he's still spain's best striker really but ive no idea what will happen. pb is tricky to call now

• @NewUser59855 said in Long term price appreciation strategy:

@NewUser9338 If he's playing in Spain wouldn't that mean he's unlikely to get media buzz and only possibly performance buzz if he's lucky?

Yes.

His previous £4 was because he played for Chelsea and was in the news - there's no real reason for him to ever go anywhere near that again. His only real chance of making dividends is PB and because he has been out , we don't really know how good he will be PB wise for Atletico - its a guessing game. Given Lewandowski is about £2.50 I'd say that's about his ceiling unless he really destroys Spanish defences.

Falcao and Cavani are pretty good comparisons and they are both under £2 so I think he's probably over-valued at the moment.

• @mike778 lewan, cavani & costa could easily just be under-valued. likely world cup starts for at least two. they're the kind of names that new money would go for also

• @NewUser9338 said in Long term price appreciation strategy:

@mike778 lewan, cavani & costa could easily just be under-valued. likely world cup starts for at least two. they're the kind of names that new money would go for also

Hazard costs £5 and has regularly won media buzz as well as winning performance buzz. Salah is £4.50 and has racked up dividends. Lukaku is derided a bit on the index but he has been picking up semi-regular media buzz and is about £4.50. Ozil is valued about £4 and has been racking up dividends left right and centre. All these guys are roughly double Costa's value.

Its purely guess work but if I was a betting man (and we all are or women), I would guess that Costa will win less than 50% of the dividends they win which suggests he is over-valued. Same with Naymar at £8 - I don't think Costa will get anywhere near 25% of the yield Naymar will return.

• @mike778 it's not always logical tho. people were willing to pay £4.70 odd for a 37 yo injured striker recently, name no names! Costa is 29, could play in another 6 champions leagues, has an outside shot at a wc and euros. he'll likely pick up some media/pb in that time - he's still the kind of player that the press here like writing about, esp if up against a PL team. He's more just an example of a player people are likely to buy for various reasons

• @NewUser9338 said in Long term price appreciation strategy:

@mike778 it's not always logical tho. people were willing to pay £4.70 odd for a 37 yo injured striker recently, name no names! Costa is 29, could play in another 6 champions leagues, has an outside shot at a wc and euros. he'll likely pick up some media/pb in that time - he's still the kind of player that the press here like writing about, esp if up against a PL team. He's more just an example of a player people are likely to buy for various reasons

Fair doos - everyone is playing a guessing game at the moment. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Good spirited defence of him but not someone I'm going to touch unless he drops by a lot.

• it's all about opinion and lets face it, the beauty of the game is that we can potentially make money off any player we choose. I started out with players like Donnarruma & Bonucci before i understood the system of the game, one i lost heavily on, one (the more surprising one) I eventually did ok on... one other i purchased was Edinson Cavani. I thought PB's were nailed on (scores plenty of goals) and even had MB chances thanks to his spat with Neymar.... but after 4/5 months i currently have one of the best strikers in the world sitting on negative equity and he's currently only 2 behind Messi this year as the top goalscorer in Europe!!!! As soon as i can get my money back he's gone!!!!!

I think 'futures are important and if a striker has no value to be resold in the future (like Cavani, like Costa perhaps) then you may only get a minimal return at best? I've since changed my strategy to buying only 'fashionable' strikers and attacking midfielders aged 18-28 which seems to be working better for capital growth and dividends especially!