Share Split Announcement - Thoughts & Reactions

• They can't all be future MB stars these over inflated speculative investments.

I'm convinced there will be losers.
    I'm not alone in voicing that concern.

• @C-Arroyo - exactly. If FI had been around 10 years ago how many people would have jumped on Federico Macheda.

As a Chelsea fan I would have bought stacks of Josh Mceachran or Gael Kakuta after their debuts? No, I would have stuck with Lampard, Terry and Drogba as they are safe bets. I am sure loads of people have made a lot of money on Greenwood but he is too high risk for me as I could not possible predict where the ceiling was.

I also sold Sancho at £14 for the same reason.

• @C-Arroyo
    Ok but which of the current media darlings will still be consistently winning MB in a year, two years' or three years' time? I only started trading actively in Oct 2017, when Pogba wasn't winning anything and Alexis Sanchez was king. Things change quickly. A transfer here, an injury there and a player's value plummets. It's not as simple as stocking up and sitting on it for 3 years for the majority of players. People have to manoeuvre to get on the hottest ticket in town. That is the opposite of stagnation.

• @Specksynder - great point. When you see the historic MB of Rooney, Zlatan and see the impact of Coutinho leaving then you cannot sit back. Pogba is earning less MB now than the aftermath of the Jose sacking. His price has remained strong due to an increase in PB so there is not a opposite correlation between PB and MB. Messi holders over the last weeks would surely attest to that.

• @C-Arroyo
    Of course there will be losers. How are we to create a system whereby FI make money and everyone on the platform makes money? Where is this money coming from? People speculating is what prevents stagnation. I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

• @Specksynder said in Share Split Announcement - Thoughts & Reactions:

@C-Arroyo
    Ok but which of the current media darlings will still be consistently winning MB in a year, two years' or three years' time? I only started trading actively in Oct 2017, when Pogba wasn't winning anything and Alexis Sanchez was king. Things change quickly. A transfer here, an injury there and a player's value plummets. It's not as simple as stocking up and sitting on it for 3 years for the majority of players. People have to manoeuvre to get on the hottest ticket in town. That is the opposite of stagnation.

Rooney, Griezmann, zlatan have all been king and all have been instant sold on mass making FI a bloody fortune. Everyone has a cycle, no one is immune to a drop.

• @Specksynder

Do you concede that encouraging trading on that has a smaller potential market ?

Is is the media darlings index !
    It is not a "football" index.

That is a massive aspect of my point, in regard to the potential growth of the product.
    It's about emphasis.
    I've said bin it, but I'm frustrated.
    Truth be told I do see some benefit, particularly for non-match days, but we should target the product to new investors (and pundits) using an emphasis on performance and form related PB.
    That emphasis should become increasingly apparent as people familiarize with the platform - as promised.
    I have actually contradicted myself on MB in suggesting we could benefit from incorporating media from the other big 5 leagues. This is what I would truly like to see, but never to an extent that a player like Pogba is valued higher than a player like Kimmich (I hold neither).

• @C-Arroyo - but Kimmich has never earned a penny in MB so he will always be valued lower. I can't see how the index can have a fundamental change from the existing dividend structure without causing massive volatility and probable panic.

• @Specksynder

I'm suggesting "losers" in this case are also easy to predict.

Winners will be those familiar with the platform, those to whom high prices are not perceived as off-putting, those with an understanding of the dividend structure and the true value here of "media darlings".

Losers will be new investors, those who view price differences and will naturally look for bargains, as many initially view Eric Dier. Those who assume based on FI's sales pitch that we are a football index. Those who initially invest in good players, those who stand a "fair" chance of winning PB, however they are unlikely to ever replace Pogba.

These winners will also be cashing in at new investors expense as each of these speculative youngsters peaks.
    The long term investor here knows the risks associated with Kakuta, Macheda and co.

• @Zidave

So you would agree that to have an honest sales pitch FI should change it's name to MDI ?
    Media Darlings Index !

• "This is Jim White with Mike from MDI"

• Bob Mills - "I don't get it"

• @C-Arroyo
    Yes that would be true if FI was in fact encouraging people to only invest in MB players. But they aren't, and many traders don't even get involved in MB players. You can play it as a "football" index if you like, and MB won't prevent that. And anyway you talk about PB as if it is a true test of football knowledge but that's a little misleading. Anyone can win on any given day, and if there are some who win very regularly what is the difference between traders stocking up on those and sitting tight and doing the same with MB players?

• @C-Arroyo
    If we get rid of MB we are still left with a far from perfect PB system. The people you mentioned above who would buy players like Eric Dier would still lose.

• @Specksynder

Now we're getting somewhere......

In one sentence :

The frequency at which we observe volatility.

@Tom77 - Ibrahimovic was 18 months ago. Pogba has been wearing the crown for too long. I encourage more rotation, that's all.

• @C-Arroyo
    And Messi and Neymar have been winning PB for 'too long'. What should we do about that?

• @Specksynder

I said fair chance.
    Eric Dier is a fair chance at a fair price - I do hold.

If I were talking to a new investor now, my advice would be Eric Dier and not that kid at Man Utd with the big hair.

• @C-Arroyo
    So despite knowing how the product works you would advise people to buy players with little to no chance of winning dividends (either PB or MB)?

• @C-Arroyo
    Prices are driven by market forces. If the MB guys are taking all the money then that surely means the PB guys are cheaper and therefore better value and you should be cashing in and be very happy about it

• @Specksynder

So they should (Messi and Neymar). It's merit based. They are the greatest players in world football. New investors and pundits accept and more importantly "expect" this.

Doesn't leave Bob Mills scratching his head and being critical because Paul Pogba is the "best in the world"

I would encourage new investors to invest in players likely to have a good ROI inc divs.
    an 12p win once in three years is a lot more attractive when your player costs 75p than a player costing £5.
    Eric Dier is still in the England squad despite his current lack of dividend wins, he still plays for a CL club and to my knowledge the last club he was linked with was Utd.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.