This is a reason to forget solving Bots

• Many people have complained about the problems that Bots cause on the index, mainly the IPO situation, but also with Deposit bonuses and the recent announcement for SS.
    I have always believed it's not in their control whilst others have had opinions such as they don't care, or they even want it due to the amount of money it creates, anyway I was just reading the BBC News and come across this, and if something this big and important is being controlled by Bots then we can forget FI ever getting rid, just thought it was interesting, I'll put a screenshot for ppl that can't be bothered reading the article and the link for the ones that want to read. I'm convinced that Bots are being used.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47668946

0_1553388606111_Screenshot_20190324-014235_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Completely different type of bot, they bare no resemblance

• @MrWh1te said in This is a reason to forget solving Bots:

Completely different type of bot, they bare no resemblance

Probably not, but the principle is the same.
    Luckily for FI I'm not an expert on Bots 不

• It isn't the same principle :p

• Ok I'll delete, because obviously I'm out of my league

Thanks mr white, waste of time that was 不不不

• or don't delete and I will explain why, when the missus goes to bed :P

• @MrWh1te I know when I'm defeated, for me a Bot is a Bot, not so wise to that stuff.
    This was what i got from Google....
    You can explain and I'll read tomorrow morning...

0_1553390145531_Screenshot_20190324-021344_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Morning, sorry I didn't reply last night, the missus was up and she does her nut if I am tapping on the keyboard whilst we are watching tv.

Whilst you are right in the traditional sense, not only do they have completely different uses but they have different functions too.

In the petition page one you posted, it is easily stopped because of the email thing. If it were to work, you would need bots working across mainly computers, like a virus rather than a bot. That said, I think it is much easier to create bots that would could make tens of thousands of email accounts and sign the petition than they are letting on, although a lot harder than a bot for here. The difference being, a bot creating thousands of accounts would be much easier to detect. There will be hackers who already have access to thousands of emails already but they would not risk wasting their access on something like a petition as there is no financial gain in doing so. It could even be argued that Brexit would favour hackers, the more walls in crime prevention, the better for them.
    A ddos attack would be much more likely, but its function would be to overwhelm a site but connecting tens or hundreds of thousands of computers to the site at one go, through trojans or virus's. This isn't happening and serves no purpose, so a hacker wouldn't use it and potentially allow his network to be found and disabled.

A bot in the case of this site is just a simple script.
    There is more to it than this, but this is the simple version...
    Refresh page, scan James Maddison.
    If James Maddison = no, then refresh x5. If James Maddison = yes then buy 100.
    Repeat x5.
    A good scripter could make that in about 5 minutes (and the cost of thousands that some people have quoted is just lies).
    I know several bot writers though an online game I play, I will have a chat with one of them and see how quickly they could make one, and post back here

• @MrWh1te Thanks for the reply, I went bed anyway, missus not impressed with me typing at every given opportunity.
    The only thing i met with the whole thing was if those people creating Bots can't be stopped, then how can FI stop the Bots here, albeit not same bots, We've seen that FI can't even get a bloody Media Buzz scoring systen to work 不不.
    What's your opinion? Do they have no power, or choose to ignore ??

• Bots are fairly easy to stop if they want to. In the case of the petition it is very easy.

In the case here, it might actually be harder, because if it is a script rather than a bot I believe it is harder to stop. They could easily put in 10 second delays and stuff though like they do at the bookies. I am waiting for a specific mate to wake up and when he does, I will let you know.

My feeling is they don't want to stop it. If they did, they could put out statements saying how it isn't allowed and that funds will be confiscated if caught. I know when I play poker, I have to tick to give certain read access to my comp, so the site can see if I am using cheating software. Should also be easy to do here

• If they ever get over 17 million signatures then we will have reason to debate it.

Because that's how many are in opposition to what they are voting against.

• @MrWh1te but as far as i know the Bots are legal albeit very unpopular, so surely FI would be breaking the law by confiscating funds, of course they could suspend or expel the users, but that's taking money from their own pockets.

• @Andy-M Oh I was under the impression that they aren't legal.
    Then pressure should be put on to make them illegal.

@Andy-M Oh I was under the impression that they aren't legal.
    Then pressure should be put on to make them illegal.

Apparently certain states in the USA have made Bots that are buying tickets illegal, but as far as I'm aware it's only something that can be stated in T&Cs, personally i think it's a fckin joke that it's legal to rip people off.
    Maybe we can start a world wide petition to make Bots illegal, obviously we use bots to sign the petition 不不

• @Andy-M
    Confirmed, bots are not allowed and people using them will be banned.

@Andy-M
    Confirmed, bots are not allowed and people using them will be banned.

Hmmmm since when did you find it in T&Cs or ask CS ?? That will surely please people anyway (if they're convinced) .
    Makes me wonder again, I wrote in an old thread that maybe it's not even Bots, just a handful of users that are faster than yourself, I mean let's say 100s are sitting updating every few seconds and find the IPO 5 seconds before you, that's easily a huge price rise already, presuming they hit max buy a few times, I've had the pleasure of getting on an IPO really early so it's not impossible, maybe we're all just jealous and throwing tje Bots accusation around and it's not even true.
    Think we all know to stay away from IPO's to be honest, just difficult when you have been waiting for months and you finally see the name, I stopped caring and don't check the lists these days.

• @Andy-M I'm not saying it BOTS.... But it's BOTS!

Disclaimer:- need a picture of that Ancient Aliens guy

• @Andy-M CS and...
    11.1. For example, where we suspect that a Bet or a string of connected Bets may have been placed robotically or by automated means, we may require you to provide reasonable evidence that each Bet was placed manually by you via your Account. We may reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to collect and process any information in connection with your betting patterns, personal data, depositing of funds and any other related information and enquiries that will help us to investigate any suspected breach of these Terms of Service;

• (10:04:15 AM) Dilewar: 11 SUSPICIOUS BETTING
    11.1 For the purpose of this clause 11, suspicious betting shall refer to where we have reasonable grounds to believe that a Bet or a number of Bets have been placed in suspicious circumstances. Suspicious betting shall include:
    (a) where there is an unusual frequency and/or highly unusual pattern of Bets (by comparison with betting norms) placed on the same selection in a short space of time;
    (b) where there is an inordinate frequency and/or highly unusual pattern of Bets placed on the same selection and where the theoretical probability of said selection winning at the time of the Bet placement, based on the odds offered on the selection at the time of Bet placement, is largely inconsistent with the theoretical probability of the same selection winning calculated using their starting prices;
    (c) where we have reasonable grounds to suspect that a Bet or a string of connected Bets were placed robotically, by automated means, or otherwise than through the Account holder placing each Bet manually via their Account;
    (d) where we reasonably believe that you have used unfair external factors or influences connected with the footballer or footballers (as applicable) the subject of any Bets;
    (e) where we reasonably suspect that you have opened duplicate Accounts or where we reasonably suspect that second or subsequent Accounts are under common control with your Account with a view to concealing the true worth, nature or pattern of Bets placed by you or on your behalf, even if second or subsequent Accounts are opened under different names;
    (f) where we otherwise believe, acting reasonably, that you are acting in concert with others or that you are acting other than on your own behalf; or
    (g) where we reasonably believe that Bets have been placed from a location or device other than the location or device which you claim to have used to place a Bet.
    11.2 In the case of any of the activities contemplated by clause 11.1, we may, acting reasonably, and depending on the circumstances:
    (a) request such further information from you as may reasonably be required by us to investigate whether the Bet constitutes suspicious betting for the purpose of clause 11.1;
    (b) suspend or withhold payment of any amounts to you pending the receipt by us of satisfactory evidence from you in order for us to determine (acting reasonably) that a Bet does not constitute a suspicious bet as such term is referred to in clause 11.1. For example, where we suspect that a Bet or a string of connected Bets may have been placed robotically or by automated means, we may require you to provide reasonable evidence that each Bet was placed manually by you via your Account. We may reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to collect and process any information in connection with your betting patterns, personal data, depositing of funds and any other related information and enquiries that will help us to investigate any suspected breach of these Terms of Service;
    (c) suspend or withhold payment of any amounts to you, usually for no longer than 30 days but where relevant for such longer period of time as may reasonably be required (for example, pending any investigations by us, a gambling regulator, a law enforcement authority or any other third party); or
    (d) void a Bet or a string of connected Bets.
    Where possible, we shall keep you informed of any such action or requests.
    11.3 Where we have reasonable grounds to believe that you have participated in, or have been connected with, any type of suspicious betting, we shall use our reasonable endeavours to investigate such matter, including but not limited to through the use of various collusion, suspicious betting, fraud and cheating detection practices which are used in the gambling industry.
    11.4 We reserve the right to seek to recover from you any losses we suffer that are directly or indirectly connected to any of the activities contemplated in clause 11.1. This right is without prejudice to any other rights (including common law rights) that we may have against you, whether under these Terms of Service or otherwise.

• @Ericali said in This is a reason to forget solving Bots:

@Andy-M I'm not saying it BOTS.... But it's BOTS!

Disclaimer:- need a picture of that Ancient Aliens guy

Always happy to Assist

0_1553422985186_upload-82366bab-6cb6-4d9e-92e5-289bfbc5e14b

Looks like your connection to Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.