900 vs 300 makes very little difference

• I've tried to keep this simple, happy to explain further in comments:

To move a £10 player pre-split by 1p cost £1000 for a 0.01% rise. To move the same player post split at £3.33 by 1p costs £3000 for a 0.03% rise. Treble the cost for treble the rise. The same increase but with less steps essentially.

Players will increase and decrease at the same rate.

• Yep.

Pre-split: You have 1000 futures of a player. 100 bought = +1p/£10
    Post-split: You have 3000 futures of a player. 300 bought = +0.33p/£10

Since there are no fractions, you have to wait for that 0.33p to become 1p.
    0.33p x 3 = 1p
    £10 x 3 = £30

There's no difference in the growth...it just takes longer to show.

• @DanD
    That’s what I keep telling the missus ;)

• @DanD you've immediately put it better than me! There's really no need to worry about the change.

It actually works out really well in your favour if you buy 900 at a time:

Pre-split: buy 300 of a £1 player, cost = £303 (£100+£101+£102), value of holdings=£309 (£6 gain)

Post-split: buy 900 of a 33p player, cost= £297 (900*33p) value of holdings= £306 (£9 gain)

The differences in total value at the end are caused by rounding (in this case I rounded 33.33p down to 33p), just an easy to digest example.

• Understanding the maths is one thing - understanding the change of mentality may be another though.

Users like myself that only joined in January now find ourselves conditioned to seeing daily, hourly, even minute-by-minute increases/decreases on our investments. Quick refresh of portfolio, Ooooohhh, I'm up £1.25. 30 minutes goes by. Quick refresh of portfolio, Oh - 50p down - oh well. etc etc.

That won't be the case anymore (for good or bad) because more patience is going to be needed in order to reap those benefits that @DanD so brilliantly and simply summed up. Once people actually see those benefits in their portfolios the conditioning can begin, but it's going to be a little while before that happens imho. Luckily, FI have done the SS just before the end of the month, which means a lot of people's paydays are right around the corner, which means plenty more money coming into the platform, so the "flat period" many are predicting may still be a week or two away as money moves around and filters through the market.

This, of course, will be gradually eaten away as more and more new users come onto the platform. That's why I agree with those who have been saying while we were awaiting the SS that FI need to nail their marketing. More users = more money = more growth = less time for growth to show.

TL:DR - patience is now key in FI imho. Like all those users that have been around for a couple of years bragging about being multiple thousands of pounds up because they've played the long game - that'll be us guys too....if we're patient.

• @LukeMalla
    However when you refresh and your portfolio does move it will be more exciting. Instead of ooh I'm up 1.25 it will be sweet I'm up 3.75!...... or down but best not think about that :P

• I'll keep it really simple & say it again. 😉

300 shares for 1p is not fixed & there are different buckets for different price categories.

This delta is not fixed either & can be adjusted accordingly.

Ask @TheSleepingGiant he understands.... 😎

Everyone comprenday? 🤔

• @LukeMalla said in 900 vs 300 makes very little difference:

Understanding the maths is one thing - understanding the change of mentality may be another though.

Users like myself that only joined in January now find ourselves conditioned to seeing daily, hourly, even minute-by-minute increases/decreases on our investments. Quick refresh of portfolio, Ooooohhh, I'm up £1.25. 30 minutes goes by. Quick refresh of portfolio, Oh - 50p down - oh well. etc etc.

That won't be the case anymore (for good or bad) because more patience is going to be needed in order to reap those benefits that @DanD so brilliantly and simply summed up. Once people actually see those benefits in their portfolios the conditioning can begin, but it's going to be a little while before that happens imho. Luckily, FI have done the SS just before the end of the month, which means a lot of people's paydays are right around the corner, which means plenty more money coming into the platform, so the "flat period" many are predicting may still be a week or two away as money moves around and filters through the market.

This, of course, will be gradually eaten away as more and more new users come onto the platform. That's why I agree with those who have been saying while we were awaiting the SS that FI need to nail their marketing. More users = more money = more growth = less time for growth to show.

TL:DR - patience is now key in FI imho. Like all those users that have been around for a couple of years bragging about being multiple thousands of pounds up because they've played the long game - that'll be us guys too....if we're patient.

Yeah a lot of people look at it in a very short term way. I don't know of this change will result in people losing patience when they don't see immediate wins or if people will learn to be more patient and think long term. I'm hoping the latter.

I play the bottom end of the market and already people are put off of it when they see the big boys rising 20p and under £1 players rising 1 or 2p here and there. That 2p rise could be a bigger percentage rise than that of the 20p rise on a Pogba/Neymar...but people are drawn to where they see movement.

• @DanD patience is now the key factor now we are past the share split. I recall the last time an initial short burst in Ronaldo but not a lot elsewhere. people will chop and change if they aren't rising. I made the same mistake first time round only to see 70p players become massive price risers. only issue I have is last time pb was eventually announced, I'm not so sure fi have any desire to raise dividends for quite some time

• @Finlay77

@Finlay77 said in 900 vs 300 makes very little difference:
    I'm not so sure fi have any desire to raise dividends for quite some time

Hardly surprising since they were only just raised yesterday

• @TheSleepingGiant this is what I mean, pb was maybe 9 months or a year later, I don't see anything for a very long time

• @Finlay77 I guess it will depend on what this new mechanic is going to be which is announced on the 15th April and whether it is just a Summer Promo or a permanent feature.

Looks like your connection to Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.