Newbie asking what your strategy is? Short-term trades or long-term holds?

• My tactic so far has been to buy young, promising talent at a low price in the hope that they deliver on their potential and deliver a high dividend further down the line. But this is a long-stakes game and I'm getting impatient. How can one go about making quick, profitable trades and how much should one invest to see some real movement?

• @JLampkin19

If you have £50k+ to throw at it, you can probably justify spending every minute on the platform because you could just about earn a reasonable living out of it. Having so much time to allocate to the platform means that you can afford to play a short term strategy for bigger growth.

If you only have £50, you can't really justify putting 20 hours per week in, because even if you achieve an unrealistic target of 200% growth in a month, you've earned £100 for 80+ hours. Hardly worth the effort unless you're looking at it as an alternative to a video game like Football Manager.

My portfolio is around 25% up since Christmas, give or take a percentage or two. To me... that's outstanding. I'm certain there are others who would cry if they only achieved 25% in 3 months. I have around 45 players, a few are doing brilliantly and those are outweighing the ones who I've lost on.

• Depends what you deem as youngsters?? Sancho and cho. Whilst there prices have rocketed it’s not only because of there potential it’s mainly because of the media buzz around them. They’re sure too be hitting the headlines all summer. Other youngsters like mason greenwood, Brewster etc are huge gambles in my opinion. If you bought low fare play they’ve made a killing but there’s been thousands of youngsters who have been talked about and not achieved anything for various reasons ie Ravel Morrison, Macheda, Micah Richards, Jack Rodwell. The list is endless. I’m all for investing in youngsters but I want too see with my own eyes what I’m investing in when they’re playing first team football. Not on the hype around them because they’ve had a few good games in the reserves.

• How long have you been waiting? Says you joined two days ago. (or is that joined the forum?)

• @JLampkin19 Hi Lampkin :) Nice to meet you as it were mate. I wish you lot's of fun & fortune on here. I've not been on here all that long, so my opinion's/strategy hasn't been proven over the year's, but what I do is to 'invest' & try to not 'gamble' on player's. What I mean is, I buy player's who are injured atm & who have had quite a sharp decrease in their share price. I'm focussing on Harry Kane atm, as before he got his injury (btw, I don't touch cruciate ligament injuries) he was trading at £4.32 & at the end of last month he was at £4.44. He's now down to £3.89, so there is quite a bit of difference in price between now & then. I used the word 'invest', because I see a 90+% chance of him going up around his previous price's, so I think my money is safe. I'm just waiting until his drop down price has flatlined/just started to rise again befoe I go in. I used the word 'gamble' before as even though many player's SHOULD rise, it IS still a gamble & I only use 25% of my FI bank on those player's. Thanks for reading & all the very best :)

• @JLampkin19 when I first joined I was very much going for the same strategy as you and had young promising players in my portfolio....I only picked the ones that were actually playing regularly and were playing in one of the 5 PB leagues.

This strategy saw some decent rises via capital appreciation but I wasn't getting much in the way of dividend returns. I decided to keep these players in my portfolio but almost all of the money I have invested in the index since my first month or two has gone into the big boys who win regular dividends. Since adopting this tactic, I have earned over £500.00 in dividends which I have reinvested....small in comparison to some on here but it has helped me to grow my portfolio.

In terms of my answer to the subject heading.....I am more of a long term trader and pick players that I intend to hold for a minimum of 6 months.

• @Dan-The-Man nice one, Dan. Appreciate that. Definitely don't have 50k to throw at this, but still looking to snowball rapidly. Any tips? I'm liking the look of Neres for Ajax...surely on the move in the summer. Transfer season is going to be a hoot on here!

• @DavidMUFC1987 Gotcha. So media dividends could still pay off in that case? Definitely agree with you that there's some youngsters yet to make a mark...Angel Gomes seems to be one of them. What do you look for in a Future then? Recently been thinking to pile on to a rising star rather than spread myself too thinly as I'm not seeing much ROI.

• @LuaLua Had been using a different account, but patience is not one of my virtues! Seems like you have to lump on an in-form player to make some quick profits.

• @NewUser2025 Nice to meet you too fella! Thanks for the response, made a lot of sense. As a fellow ACL injuree I wouldn't invest in one of those Futures either! Definitely going to keep my eye on Kane...Oxlade-Chamberlain and Marcos Alonso also good shouts in that case. Perhaps Ousmane Dembele abroad? The Football Manager geek in me still wants to unearth and back the next wonderkid though!

• @JLampkin19
    In my opinion but others may disagree you’ll lose more than you’ll make with investing in youngsters who have played 0 minutes of first team football. It’s too hit and miss. What I look for is youngsters like felix, Dias who played tonight for benfica and they both play for there country. These players are ideal because they’re outside of the inplay dividends market and if they were too move too either a top European league I.e the premier league there price would rocket. I tend too stay away from goalkeepers and defenders. Also you can decide yourself, if you watch enough football like myself and you see potential then go for it.

• @bouchet fantastic response, thanks. Still trying to wrap my head around these dividend returns...guessing that Sterling, Hazard, Kane (when fit) are the big hitters in this category?

• @DavidMUFC1987 interesting...definitely gonna keep my ear to the ground with these transfers now that the season is coming to a close. Transfer window should be fun!

• If you're not using it already, Whoscored is a great site for info.
    not just goals and assists, but how many shots / passes / tackles etc per game, which is good info for future PB winners.

I have a mix of young players, likely transfer movers, but recently added a small sprinkle of the bigger MB winners to get some regular returns.

Barca, Bayern and Utd will spend big this summer I think. Also keeping an eye on Ajax, as half that team could potentially get high bids, and that will either trigger transfers in, or allow some of the other youngsters to come through.

• @Munchie63 Ajax undoubtedly the team to watch. De Jong, De Ligt, Neres and Ziyech all on the radar. Neres to Spain was the latest I heard...can see De Ligt headed that way soon too. Any others you're keeping tabs on? Lozano at PSV seems to have gone off the boil after a good start to the season.

• I've been a trader here for 15 months now.

During my first six months here I would have replied "long term". I had a 66% return due in main part to capital appreciation, dividends accounting for around 10%. A wide spread of top 200-300 players

Then FI appointed some new board members which raised the number of vested interests with influence.
    That is when FI began to move the goalposts.

Up until this time the only value was in MB and PB wins, along with speculation regarding the possibility of future wins.

The introduction of IPD's did not significantly change things in terms of value.
    However the share split changed things drastically.
    The reason for this is quite simple.
    Firstly, less relevant - IPD's had the largest dividend increase, speaking proportionally in comparison to pre/post split dividends.
    Secondly, much more relevant. The individual commission cost for short term ownership and trading has fallen 3 fold.
    That factor increases value lower down in the market.

I have been accused as being both stubborn and foolish by some forum users here. I am neither.
    I sacrificed 20% of my first 12 month profit to dump and transition (quickly). Even though it admittedly took a couple of weeks of hard thinking to take the "plunge".

My response to your question today is "short term".
    I now own 5 shares for every one I owned before transition.
    Players that cost anywhere from 19p - 83p.

I recouped that 20% in 10 days.
    It seems a little strange not having any investment come Euro nights, however I'm very much looking forward to the weekend games - My target again for the next 10 days is another 20%.

• This post is deleted!

• @C-Arroyo

Your target is 20% in 10 days?

Wowza. That's a story I'd like to hear :)

Can you elaborate on your strategy?

@NewUser2025

Yeah that's a top strategy.

I got in on Kane, during his last injury for the same reasons and made a ton of profit from it.

He was and is my main plan for the summer as the Nations League kicks in, he'll be in the papers on a daily basis and that should see him rise.

• @JLampkin19 Scored two the other day Lozano did. He's been consistently brilliant. What data are you looking at??!
    0_1555021120443_upload-87c2cf55-a6a3-4396-8c40-6c6fe04b0f6e

• @NewUser2025 said in Newbie asking what your strategy is? Short-term trades or long-term holds?:

@JLampkin19 Hi Lampkin :) Nice to meet you as it were mate. I wish you lot's of fun & fortune on here. I've not been on here all that long, so my opinion's/strategy hasn't been proven over the year's, but what I do is to 'invest' & try to not 'gamble' on player's. What I mean is, I buy player's who are injured atm & who have had quite a sharp decrease in their share price.

Interesting. Have you bought Welbeck?

• @JLampkin19 Yeah all of those you mentioned are in my portfolio, along with Pogba, Neymar and VVD. These guys are regular MB winners and also win a few PB dividends. There are different ways to make money on here, but for me personally, I don't want to be chopping and changing my portfolio regularly. I have gone for these consistant FI performers who will generate regular dividends, allowing me to slowly but surely build my investment.

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.