Sunday Night MB = PFA Player of the Year?

• If its anything like the FIFA awards I can't see it having too much impact on FI although at least the two best players will be in contention this time around... Would be happy with either Sterling or van Dijk winning the main award.. Either way whoever doesn't win will probably get the writers award???

Seems odd that Sterling who's been around for so long also qualifies for the young player (as does Bernardo Silva at 24)... I would like to see a Rookie win it like Brooks or Rice whilst Trent Alexander Arnold could be a good punt as he's been very consistent.

• @ShaneH

I'm not sure if they have ever given the same player both.

If they give Sterling YPOTY, I'd imagine they'll give Van Dijk or Hazard POTY and if they give Sterling POTY, I'd think Silva looks like the main candidate for YPOTY.

I can't see Sterling not winning an award... and winning either should grab the headlines. Even if he gets snubbed for both awards... I think that too would be big enough to get the headlines.

• @ShaneH yes they have given it a few times... think the first was Andy Gray in 77?? Also Ronny & Bale have wiped up winning both in the same year!!!!

• @dannypea

I'd love to see Raheem do em both and get some proper recognition. English players are often over looked when talking about the best players in the world but he defo should be talked about that way.

• I agree with what most other people have said, effectively it is between Sterling and VVD. If I had to guess I would put my money on Sterling because these things usually favour attackers and he has had a phenomenal season by all accounts. I do think we can definitely rule Salah out though as he isn't even on the shortlist 😉

• Sterling should at least young player of the year imo, he is in both categories.

• @Dan-The-Man another thing to take into account for MB purposes is the possibility and this is a possibility dependent on how it's worded but Sterling (in my view) wins young player of the year, so that will receive recognition but on the basis its basically between VVD and Sterling most articles will probably state VVD pips Sterling to reward thus meaning Sterling picks up those points plus ones for young player. That is an if but a large possibility

• @Shippers what an excellent point, I think you are spot on with this, hadn't even thought of that myself

• similar thing i think happened in December where because Modric 'pipped' Ronaldo i think Ronny took the buzz day after!!!

• My money is on Sterling. Incredible performances all year and stepped up in the big games. His off-pitch good news stories keep coming thick and fast too!

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.