David De Gea?! Is he okay?

• Just wondering what everyone has thought about De Gea in the recent weeks. Don't get me wrong he is a great keeper. There is no doubt about that. However, plenty of mistakes in recent weeks. Barcelona, Man City and then today against Chelsea? All silly mistakes and is asking for £300,000?! Opinions? Should United sell?

• His mind is elsewhere. A tough decision to sell as the market seems depleted in top-level GK's. If there's absolutely no hope in him staying, players like Mike Maignan & Andre Onana would be decent replacements (although this is David bloody De Gea).

• @AbuOG Utd already have his replacement, Romero is a top class goalkeeper, I'd give De Gea a rest, let him spend some time with his family.
    If he wants to leave then let him, he's been amazing for Utd, but if he's not happy then there's no point in staying.

• @Andy-M said in David De Gea?! Is he okay?:

@AbuOG Utd already have his replacement, Romero is a top class goalkeeper, I'd give De Gea a rest, let him spend some time with his family.
    If he wants to leave then let him, he's been amazing for Utd, but if he's not happy then there's no point in staying.

Romero is a good GK, but the BBC gossip said that Utd are looking at Jan Oblak as well.

• Hes been United's best player for years and has been the only reason in many games they have drawn or managed to keep a win. This is just a sign that he doesn't have confidence in a poor defence and there are issues going on at the club that are playing on his mind. Many United players have been having poor displays, as a keeper it's more damaging.

De Gea is one of the best keepers in the world, on form hes arguably the best. As I'm not a United supporter I hope they sell him, however I dont think they could replace him with someone who is as good.

United need to concentrate on getting rid of players damaging the club, that's not De Gea.

• De Gea actually got SLAUGHTERED in the Spanish Press in the summer for having the worst saves to goals conceded ratio in the World Cup and I personally don't think he's been the same player since???

Obviously he was linked with Real Madrid but his dreadful world cup didn't do him any favours and they instead went for Thibaut Courtois... So thats the next 5/6 years sorted for them you would think.... Barca have ter Stegen who like Courtois is only 26 so he won't be going anywhere soon either... so where does de Gea go from here??? Not to one of the superpowers he had hoped? PSG or Juve perhaps???

I actually give him credit yesterday for making a 95th minute save (all be it shot straight at him) that has kept United in the Champions League run... But yes his form has been off and he doesn't look his most confident??? I actually really really rate Romero as not just one of the best understudies but one of the best goalkeepers in the world.. No harm in him getting the no 1 gig for me but I think come the end of the summer break De Gea will get over his recent jitters and be back to his best!!!

I do think he's very very overrated by English fans and press though so perhaps most have been naive to this kind of form slump happening?? He is human after all!

• I mean being a keeper myself obviously I too have made dodgy mistakes and I've played at academy level so mistakes can happen to anybody. However I just can't work out if his head is elsewhere thinking about moves away from United or whether like has been said was due to Spanish press slaughtering him and therefore hasn't performed as well as he has done in previous years. But the thing which is odd is these mistakes seem to be happening basically every game since the Barcelona one. I mean since then it has been against Chelsea and Man City.

Don't get me wrong he is a quality keeper. There's no doubt about that. Is his head at another club already? I don't know.

I can't see it being him having a lack of confidence in his defence to be the issue because if that was the case he should be more switched on than ever because he should be expecting a mistake from them. Like the Chelsea one yesterday should've been a routine save. Far enough outside the box for him to get set anticipate the shot and everything just a poor execution of the save.

Can also see Courtouis leaving Madrid very soon due to Zidane not wanting him there in the first place and Navas starting to find his place back into the squad since the reappointment of Zidane. Just a weird one all round

Looks like your connection to Football Index Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.