Matt Targett

• Hey guys, been trying to find the cheapest/best value young English players and found Matt Targett. He was phenomenal for Southampton after his loan spell at Fulham with 3 assists and 1 goal in 14 games from LB. He's got to be the cheapest young English player on the market at the moment at Β£0.22. I've done some research and can't find anyone of better value. What are your thoughts guys, good find?

• Not according to his stats.

0_1556628299693_upload-778c53db-bd94-43bf-99e9-f4a4144e589c

• @Zidave I think he'll only improve in terms of scores etc next season after his full season in the prem. Hassenhuttl seems to like him and he's still really young. He's got an absolute whip on him as well.

• @Vespasian32 @LuaLua - Thoughts lads?

• @Itsjadams

less than 1% of my port is defenders... so doesn't pull my strings. But i am a Saints member and like him as a player. Bertrand hasn't had his heart in it for a while so hopefully he gets sold and we use Targett more and Valery on the opposite flank... Hassenhuti hasn't had time to stamp his mark on the squad tho so id be a little cautious that the summer might see him bring in some new personnel.

• @Itsjadams said in Matt Targett - Cheapest young English player on the market?:

@Zidave I think he'll only improve in terms of scores etc next season after his full season in the prem. Hassenhuttl seems to like him and he's still really young. He's got an absolute whip on him as well.

Maybe he should be a jockey then.

• @Zidave XD

• As a Saints fan, I would caution this. He is very firmly second choice behind Bertand and that won't change. Well unlikely to as Bertrand's opportunity to leave has probably passed with his age. I am not sure why you think Ralph likes him. Ever since Bertrand got fit he has been clear first choice and Targett second. We turned downed a big offer from Fulham last summer and we were fools for doing so. We won't get an offer like that again, because if anything this season has shown he struggles at this level. He does whip in a great cross though, but there is alot missing from his game.

I think most fans think he is championship level. Personally I think there is a low-end premier league player there. But no higher. We will be aiming higher then his level.

If you want bargains from the saints squad I would suggest either jwp or lemina. Maybe even Hojberg. JWP for his goals and England cap (7 premier league goals in 2019 and is criminally under valued) lemina (an excellent footballer who probably wants out and someone decent will want him) and Hojberg as apparently some bug clubs monitoring, although no firm links away. Further from the first team someone like Slattery when he gets listed has played a few games for the first team.

• @Vespasian32 said in Matt Targett - Cheapest young English player on the market?:

@Itsjadams

less than 1% of my port is defenders... so doesn't pull my strings. But i am a Saints member and like him as a player. Bertrand hasn't had his heart in it for a while so hopefully he gets sold and we use Targett more and Valery on the opposite flank... Hassenhuti hasn't had time to stamp his mark on the squad tho so id be a little cautious that the summer might see him bring in some new personnel.

I live in Southampton too but don't get to go as much as I would like. What happened to McQueen? He seemed to have jumped ahead of Targett in the pecking order a year ago or so.

• @Zidave Mcqueen came on loan to us at Middlesbrough but he got an injury was was out for most the season :(

• "Hassenhuttl seems to like him and he's still really young."

Not sure Hassenhuttl likes him that much (and he's 23).

0_1556629244394_targett.jpg

• @Zidave im in Lymington - my boy was born at Soton general so i used that as an excuse to the wife as to why i needed to become a Saints fan and subsequently ticket holder. I was a bit naΓ―ve, bought a season ticket the first year but got to about 5 games as i wasn't allowed to go much! So now just a membership. Gotta wait a couple more years i guess before i can take the lad with me every week and get my season ticket back!

Mcqueen was good but i always felt if you had to score each element of his game out of 20 he would kind of be a 10-12 for everything … good but not excellent at anything... wheras targett is probably a lower average but with that lovely cross on him.

Bertrand is excellent but just looks a little lethargic the last season or two.

• Apologies lads - I've clearly misread his value. Back to the research for me!

• @Itsjadams said in Matt Targett:

Apologies lads - I've clearly misread his value. Back to the research for me!

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Good effort on doing your own research tho.
    Example of how the forum can be useful before you 'buy max'
    To make your hit rate higher you need to look at pb scores too.

• @LuaLua Cheers mate, appreciate it!