How would you work out %

• Banned

I have a bit of a problem in that I have deposited each month, and so whilst my monthly % is correct on my spreadsheet.
    But I am unsure how to do it with my yearly % gain.
    At the moment I have done it by taking my total deposits (£2000) and my total profit (£400) and put as 20% profit. But is there a better/more efficient way?

• I work it out this way.

The difference between amount of money I have physically put in and the current value.

For example I have physically put in £899.50 and the value of my portfolio is £1,025.68 (this is portfolio figure and any balance I have)

This means an increase of £126.18

Now divide the increase by your original figure and multiply this by 100.

So £126.18 / £899.50 * 100 = 14.03% increase.

This help?

• @Millerman nah... He needs to pro rata... If you put in £10k now and do it your way its gona make the return look shit.

I can do it on spreadsheet tomo if no one has it to hand. Gona be % of days per year that the investment is valid (or for an as of now % number of days towards your investment period that the money has been traded)... Easier to do than explain!

• Banned

0_1556731088857_upload-52a544d5-907a-4247-a182-8bc49d24f495
    That is how I have it so far. I suck at % so a percentage calculator online to be sure, just unsure on which figures to put in etc

• @MrWh1te said in How would you work out %:

I have a bit of a problem in that I have deposited each month, and so whilst my monthly % is correct on my spreadsheet.
    But I am unsure how to do it with my yearly % gain.
    At the moment I have done it by taking my total deposits (£2000) and my total profit (£400) and put as 20% profit. But is there a better/more efficient way?

The way I do it is:

1. Portfolio value X 0.98 + balance.
    2. Take figure 1. and subtract net deposits from it.
    3. Take figure 2. and divide by net deposits.

The remaining figure is ROI.

For example, if my portfolio was £3,000 and I had £250 in balance and net deposits of £2,000. It would be:

1. £3,000 X 0.98 = £2,940. Add £250 = £3,190.
    2. £3,190 - £2,000 = £1,190.
    3. £1,190 ÷ £2,000 = 59.5% ROI so far.

Always do 98% of your portfolio to include commission. Some people calculate at 92% to cover instant sell. I think a lot of people forget commission and often overstate their ROI.

It's difficult to calculate with staggered deposits. My ROI after 1 year was at about 140% until I put another chunk in before 10% bonus ran out, now it's 106% but that new money has had hardly had any time to work. If you have a spreadsheet that you regularly update then it would be much easier to keep on top of, but you will dilute ROI every time you deposit.

• The XIRR function on Excel will give you an annualised rate of return, taking into account the dates of any deposits and withdrawals. Make sure you show deposits as a negative, withdrawals as a positive, and today’s portfolio value (plus cash) as the final positive.

If that’s not clear, I can try and give an example calculation when I have more time tomorrow.

• @MrWh1te if you have put in £2,000 & your profit is £400. So I presume you have a portfolio worth £2,400.

Let's keep it really simple.
    £2,000 ÷ 100 = £20. (This is 1% of you total deposits)

If you are up £400. Divide £400 by £20. (1% of your total deposits)This will give you you portfolio percentage rise.

£400 ÷ £20 = 20.

So 20% rise 👍

• @MrWh1te
    Put all your deposits down and the day you made them. Work out how many days each individual deposit has been in your account... Work out the % of days that each deposit has been part of your total deposits... Multiply that % by the amount of the deposit to work how much of that deposit should feed into the ROI calculation... That total will then be your deposit value... Subtract thst from total port value (plus withdrawals and balance) for your p&l figure. (P&l/deposits) *100 = roi

So let's say you put in £200 on the first of each month starting 1st Jan. The total £200 from Jan will feed into the deposit value as it has been part of your port for 100% of the time. Your Feb deposit will have been in 75% of the time so only £150 will count... March is 50% and April 25%...so whilst total deposits = £800...only £500 of that should go into your ROI calculation by close of play 30-4-19

So if your total port plus withdraw plus balance was say £800 on 30-4-19 you've made £300 which is 60% roi

• Banned

ok thanks guys I will have a look at trying to work it out again :)

Will be so much easier once I stop depositing :p

• @MrWh1te if you want to send me your deposit dates and values I'll work out how much your deposit figure should be today as a pro rata... If you want to tell me your port value, total withdrawal and balance too I'll work out your ROI

• Banned

@Vespasian32 I would love to take you up on the offer, but I am mega busy with work stuff atm (a few hours each night and I can have the whole bank holiday weekend off, yay!) so I will have to decline, as scrolling through 300 transactions is just gonna take me too long.
    Thank you for the offer though. I will try and find time to find all the dates etc at the weekend if the offer remains open, its about 16 deposits, and 4 small withdrawals

• Banned

@Vespasian32
    I decided to change my mind and went through, work can wait lol

If this the info you are after?

0_1556735880269_upload-4ac8b169-00b8-4738-b013-26463510c445

• Banned

I deposited end of September, then decided it wasn't for me, lost £10 and withdrew £40.
    Then changed my mind 2nd January :)

• @MrWh1te yep, should be able to get it done tonight w

• Banned

thank you so much!

• 😂😂 just keep it simple, the FI crowd do love to make things more complicated than they need to, if u have put £2000 in and your port is worth £2400 then u are 20% up, you will obviously lose 2% if you are to sell up... worry about that as and when you want to sell up i say.

• @Vespasian32 I'm sure this all make sense if I tried to get my head around it. But right now all I can think of is the Billy Bleach loose change sketch off the fast show.

https://youtu.be/y6QgHUJIQ5Q

Really wish you could embed videos on here.

• @Bigfella not good for financial planning tho if of that £2000 you out in £1000 yesterday so your actual ROI is over 100% but you are saying it's 20% and maybe decide to stop using FI because some Ghanaian Gov bond is offering 50% ROI fixed term for 6 months

• That said... My calculation only worked using consistent deposit values... I'm going to have to build in a skewed modifier which is a shit!

• @Vespasian32 yeah fair point 👍🏻👍🏻