New Trader Low Budget, Start Up Portfolio

• @Vespasian32

I agree that with enough experience and research you can make money on here at reasonably low risk; I still wouldn't recommend a 'one player portfolio' though and when you're first starting out, your chances of picking someone who backfires are higher. I got stung by some of my earlier selections such as Arnautovic, Alonso, and Aubameyang (don't get me started on how ridiculous it is to lose money on a player who wins the Premier League's Golden Boot).

If you're on here with £50, you're looking to learn the ropes before putting in real money... So IMO, you should still pick a responsible strategy. Going for the 10-30p players sounded like decent advice just as long as they diversify rather than sticking to one player. Maybe something along the lines of:

• 20x futures for 5 different players at 20p per future
    • 20x futures for 5 different players at 30p per future

The only problem with that... is many of the players in that category are not going to be hitting the media bonuses and they probably aren't players that a new trader will be overly familiar with.

So... I'd be tempted to do something like this.

0_1557841113075_Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 14.25.08.png

It's a solid mixture of players, with long term and short term high growth potential along with summer MB potential.

Pulisic played his final game for Dortmund last week and will be joining Chelsea soon. When he does, there'll be a press conference and he'll probably win MB. His price has been rising steady for weeks and I think that will continue for a long time, at the very least, right up to his Chelsea Debut.

Sanchez High profile player who's cheap and should rise as transfer speculation mounts. If he ends up staying at United... we might see the old Sanchez come back with something to prove after the summer break. Ole says we'll know the Man Utd team by July 1st so something big could happen soon.

Dier & Henderson Both super cheap English players in the Champions League Final no less. With the Champions League Final and Nations League... both seem like excellent value for money right now.

Tyler Roberts Leeds are favourites to win the playoffs and Tyler Roberts at 20 years old, already has the physique of a Premiership player. Big things will happen for this lad if Leeds don't choke again. With Leeds been 1-0 up against Derby and playing at home tomorrow, there's a decent chance Roberts will rise. He's working hard to get fit for the match and if he comes back and scores, he could shoot up.

Ronaldo Vieira
    English player, has broken in to the team in Sampdoria over the last few months. He's a long term prospect who many tip to dominate the English CM position, given that he's had fantastic success aready, scoring the winning goal in the under 20's Toulon Tournament in 2017, then winning the tournment again the following year for Englands under 21's. His close ties to Leeds could see him bought back if they get promoted, either way, English Players are more valuable to English teams, so he'll one day transfer to the Premiership and that could make a splash.

There might be some better alternatives out there like Maguire and Kane... but if you only have £50, you're only getting 10x Kane and even though I think that's a really safe bet, it's not fun to watch 1 player.

• @Dan-The-Man My issue with that strategy, regardess of the players, is that you need each to rise well beyond what anyone is doing in the current market for it to be meaningful.

Each penny rise is just 10p profit! And the first 2p at least is wiped out by commission. Since the change to 900 shares to move 1p... the jumps in price are smaller and less frequent... so to make meaningful quick money you pretty much need to buy in bulk so when a future does go up a few p you have something to show for it.

Your strategy will work long term. But as i said before... don't really see the point risking it at all to sit on £50 for 12 months and hope you make £10-20.

on a 50p player pre split, if they made 9p... 89% of it was profit … post split, equivalent rise is 3p, only 66% of that is profit cos the commission is still 1p in both scenarios.

0_1557845801315_profit %.PNG

When making smaller margins... need to make it on higher volume.

• It’s completely wrong to say what’s the point in only putting in £50.
    If that’s all the chap wants to put in that’s fine. He might see this as a bit of fun or just wants to try it to see if he likes it without people pushing him to invest more than he can afford.

I’ve started off low and put in around £10 a month so it keeps building up slowly.

I’ve gone for young English talent, largely playing in the championship like Mason Mount, Jayden Bogle and Daniel James who will get into the premiership in the next year or so. My portfolio already seeing 30% increases without doing much.

• @Vespasian32 said in New Trader Low Budget, Start Up Portfolio:

@Dan-The-Man My issue with that strategy, regardess of the players, is that you need each to rise well beyond what anyone is doing in the current market for it to be meaningful.

Each penny rise is just 10p profit! And the first 2p at least is wiped out by commission. Since the change to 900 shares to move 1p... the jumps in price are smaller and less frequent... so to make meaningful quick money you pretty much need to buy in bulk so when a future does go up a few p you have something to show for it.

Your strategy will work long term. But as i said before... don't really see the point risking it at all to sit on £50 for 12 months and hope you make £10-20.

I do think it is perfect though for new starters to learn.
    5 or 6 players will learn the ropes, investing in one player will teach you nothing.

• @Swindon69 I agree with Dan the Man on this one.

As a new user you probably just want to learn how the platform works before committing.

I started with exactly the same deposit £50- in Jan and bought 5 players at £10 each and left them alone for a month.

Although 2 of the 5 players were in the red after a month (due to not understanding the types of players that do well on this platform) I made a 10% ROI i.e £5- Not a lottery win I know but if I had invested everything on one player and it tanked than the chances are that I would have left the platform.

I now have 63 players in my portfolio and have invested a significant sum that has returned a profit that exceeded my original expectations.

The best thing that you can do is start slowly, understand the types of players that are likely to appreciate, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH, and above all remain patient as the growth of the index alone will allow your investment to grow.

Best of luck.

• @Vespasian32 said in New Trader Low Budget, Start Up Portfolio:

Your strategy will work long term but don't really see the point risking it at all to sit on £50 for 12 months and hope you make £10-20.

The point my good man, is to give this guy faith in the market, so that when he's comfortable with what he's doing, he'll put larger sums of money in. He needs to be judging his successes on 'growth percentages' more so than on 'money growth'.

My initial targets were 30% growth within 12 months but using a similar strategy of spreading the risk across 40 players, I'm at 34% growth in 4.5 months and feel super confident. Sure, a 1 player strategy COULD result in significantly faster gains but could just as easily leave him with fast losses.

red or black is win or lose tho and pure luck. with research you can pick someone likely to go up significantly... and if you are wrong, you can get out as soon as he loses money.

Think about that a little deeper.

A bet of £50 where you pull out after losing 10%, is the same as a bet of £5 where you don't pull out. In other words, you're basically advocating he places £5 bet after £5 bet. The house always wins the longer you play.

Yes, research can help but when you're new to the platform, your own research isn't trust worthy yet because you don't have any experience.

• @Long-Haul-Col
    Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated.

• @Swindon69
    The whole thread has been very educational, so thanks everyone for your input.

• @Dan-The-Man depends if he wants a £55 port or a £200+port in 12 months time I guess 😝

• @Vespasian32

We all want to quadruple up pal... but is it a realistic target?

Of course... I have no idea if I'm any good at this lol. My 34% in 4.5months could be absolutely crap by some peoples standards.

Maybe it is possible to quadruple up quite easily. I mean... I've had players double up for me in the space of a few weeks, so could in theory have doubled and doubled and doubled and doubled by now.

Looks like your connection to Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.