European Elections

• @Ericali
    well, being 4 nil down at half-time, but 'drawing' the 2nd half 0-0

• @Munchie63 find one economic expert that believes we will have a penny extra in the treasury. Nevermind 150 million.

I don't think there was ever any real appetite for the UK to join the euro, but it is worth noting that compared to when it first started, the euro has gained enormously on the pound.

Wjat makes you think we will have any kind of leverage in negotiating trade deals that are better than we have? I suppose you have a deep understanding of how big a task it is, what logistics are involved, or maybe your just taking the word from the same people that told us that negotiating an exit deal would be easy?

• @Munchie63 Why do people use the euro as a false equivalent? Its precisely backwards. Keeping the £ would be the equivalent of remaining in the eu. we already had the £, we were already in the EU, they were both the status quo options. The revolutionary and unknown choices were to adopt the Euro and to leave the EU. Depends on the frame of reference to which point you wish to reinforce. If you want to equate not joining the euro as leaving the eu you could do the same but in reverse.

And the whole system of fractional reserve banking is a madness but that doesnt make a particularly effective or interesting political point. Not for these purposes anyway. That affects most nations and citizens worldwide. What is the total global debt? How do we intend to pay it back? Who and what is propping it up? Who benefits from it mostly? Who is championing for deregulation?

• @NewUser303261

mate, I bow to your much more wordly wise knowledge. You post as if you do know about trade deals etc

bearing in mind those hundreds of Billions Greece owe do you really think the Euro is a strong currency ?

I think if you look around you will find economists that believe paying out zero money to the EU would leave some money behind, or would it just disappear up someones behind along with this argument ?
    remember it was those economists who told Brown to sell our gold at an all time low, and joining the Euro would be wise.

I'll stick to my view. Disagree with yours, but thats what opinions are about. If we all thought the same wouldnt it be boring

only time will tell who called it right

• Gonna be interesting couple of months. Westminster squablin and indy ref 2 to look forward too!!

• @Munchie63 ]

Time doesn't tell though does it.

You for example, just made the case that it would have been a bad thing to join the Euro.

We all know the Euro would have been much stronger had Britain joined and given that it's already worth 88p, chances are good that the Euro would have been stronger than the pound at this point.

But as I have no way of proving that.... you get to make out like it was a bad idea.

That's what will happen with Brexit.

No matter how bad things get, Farage will just deny that it's the result of Brexit, just like he has done countless times already, even when companies have said "We're moving out because of Brexit" he's outright called them a liar and because his main audience are ready to believe any old codswallop, he gets away with it.

• @Munchie63 said in European Elections:

@Ericali
    well, being 4 nil down at half-time, but 'drawing' the 2nd half 0-0

I agree - the "draw" they are talking about 😁👌
    0_1559025482937_Screenshot_20190527-150048.png

• @Timothee-Atouba said in European Elections:

@Dan-The-Man

1. Leave with deal negotiated.
    2. Leave on WTO terms.

Simple as simple can be. You have to implement the result of a referendum democratically and morally.

Yes, this is the only question that should be asked in a second referendum.

We already know the answer to Leave v Remain, so now the only question is how we should Leave.

• @Dan-The-Man said in European Elections:

@Timothee-Atouba said in European Elections:

@Dan-The-Man

1. Leave with deal negotiated.
    2. Leave on WTO terms.

Simple as simple can be. You have to implement the result of a referendum democratically and morally.

If the last referendum had been run on clearer terms, I'd fully agree with you but it wasn't. If it were, you wouldn't have just mentioned two different types of Brexit that have completely different outcomes.

2014 won by pro Brexit UKIP
    2015 won by Eurosceptic Conservatives
    2016 won by pro Brexit Leave
    2017 won by Eurosceptic Conservatives
    2019 won by pro Brexit Brexit party

How many more times do Remainers need to be told that it’s time to Leave to EU.

In order to have any legitimacy at all, Remain or Remain supporting parties would need to win the next 6 national elections to justifiably claim that the country now favours remaining in the EU.

• I think Remain will continue to fight and not accept the results. The MEP elections are nothing more than a protest vote against the the status quo parties and will be in no way representative of a general election. This result shows a deep distrust of those parties that are supposed to be enacting the will of the people (but only 51.89% of the people).

So shocking are the Tory and Labour party recent performances if the Liberal party had even a halfway decent leader this would have already been over and we'd still be in Europe.

Also what does this statement tell you?

*"The decision for the UK to leave the European Union was overwhelmingly supported in parts of England with low income and education levels.

Average educational attainment, median income and social class in English local authorities were the strongest predictors of how residents in that area voted in the referendum. The results indicate that the greater the proportion of residents with a higher education, the more likely a local authority was to vote remain."*

So potentially the least qualified to understand the ramifications of leaving Europe are the majority...I hasten to add i do not refer to any of the erstwhile members of the forum.

• @Ellisandro

I'm not sure how true that quote is.

Yes, Leave tends to perform well in deprived urban areas where educational attainment is low. But, Leave also performs well in the wealthy rural shires where educational attainment is high.

The only two regions where the Brexit Party performed very poorly were Scotland and London.

• @ocs123 said in European Elections:

@Ellisandro

Yes, Leave tends to perform well in deprived urban areas where educational attainment is low. But, Leave also performs well in the wealthy rural shires where educational attainment is high.

The only two regions where the Brexit Party performed very poorly were Scotland and London.

I agree with you, that statement was more relevant to 2016 than the recent elections. I suspect that the recent ones have normal remain voters exercising a show of no confidence with no real long term detrimental effect on their Tory/Labour long term held beliefs.

• @Ellisandro said in European Elections:

@ocs123 said in European Elections:

@Ellisandro

I suspect that the recent ones have normal remain voters exercising a show of no confidence with no real long term detrimental effect on their Tory/Labour long term held beliefs.

Head. In. The. Sand. 😁

• @Ericali said in European Elections:

@Ellisandro said in European Elections:

@Ellisandro

I suspect that the recent ones have normal remain voters exercising a show of no confidence with no real long term detrimental effect on their Tory/Labour long term held beliefs.

Head. In. The. Sand. 😁

Better sand than up arse ;) We both know there’s no way middle England will vote for Farage in a proper election!

• @Ellisandro said in European Elections:

@Ericali said in European Elections:

@Ellisandro said in European Elections:

@Ellisandro

Head. In. The. Sand. 😁

Better sand than up arse ;) We both know there’s no way middle England will vote for Farage in a proper election!

I wouldn't be so sure - calling an election with the Brexit issue not resolved to an acceptable standard would be the worst thing the two main parties could ever do.

Career suicide!

• @ocs123

Oh christ, more people spouting Farage's bolloxs.

Here's David Cameron, Leader of the Conservatives urging people to vote remain. Hardly a Euro-skeptic is he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL_zN3vNr-Y

For all the spin you can put on it, if Brexiteers had won a majority at the last general election, we'd have left by now but the fact is, that hasn't happened. There were enough Remain politicians voted in, to block Brexit.

If you want Brexit, you're probably going to need the second referendum or a general election.

• @Dan-The-Man Then just say for arguments sake there’s another referendum and leave wins again? Do remainers say. Ok we’re happy now you’ve won twice, once wasn’t enough?
    Supposing remain wins. What happens then at
    1-1? Extra time?

• @Dan-The-Man said in European Elections:

@ocs123

Oh christ, more people spouting Farage's bolloxs.

Here's David Cameron, Leader of the Conservatives urging people to vote remain. Hardly a Euro-skeptic is he?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL_zN3vNr-Y

There were enough Remain politicians voted in, to block Brexit.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

What actually happened is the constituencies voted leave & then the MP who represented them all trumped all their votes by backing remain in parliament.

As an MP you should be respecting the result of the people you are representing. Impartial of your view.

• @Ericali alot of remain MPs were voted in on te back of very openly being pro remain by a remain constituency. So by blocking brexit they are actually listening to the people that voted them in.

• @Ericali said in European Elections:

@Dan-The-Man said in European Elections:

As an MP you should be respecting the result of the people you are representing. Impartial of your view.

I agree but sadly Nick Clegg turned his back on the Lib Dem voters, and propped up the Conservative government. If he hadn't betrayed his voters, there would never have been an EU referendum in the first place. Nor would we have had a decades worth of austerity.