European Elections

• @Ericali Perhaps you were well aware of what you were voting for and why, but between the lies about NHS funding and the unrealistic expectations of Britain's bargaining position while leaving it is fair to say some people were deceived.

I don't think asking people if they have changed their mind with new information is undemocratic, and I'd rather our MP's did that then continue because of a very narrow result of a poll that was campaigned badly on both sides very little in the way of good information. I don't think the public on mass were well informed of the merits of either argument and that is a very important factor when going ahead with something that could have massive implications on the livelihoods of the population.

What I think everyone would agree with is both of the major parties have let everyone on both sides down.

• No point in voting in a non democratic country. Anyone’s opinion on brexit is completely irrelevant it should have been delivered.
    Picture this. Corbyn wins a general election (very unlikely), then is told he can’t move into Downing Street until there’s been a confirmatory vote!!!

• @NewUser303261 it's undemocratic because we haven't actually changed anything yet - they won't let us leave!

If we leave & fail.... by all means in 5 years vote to go back in - but you can't sample it & give an opinion if your not allowed to experience it in the first place!

This is common sense man....

• @NewUser303261 Rubbish. You must activate any democratic vote, then decide what’s best after.

• @Keegans-Bluff said in European Elections:

@Ericali said in European Elections:

@NewUser159387 yep... Teresa can pack her bags if she is soundly defeated today - not delivering for remainers or leavers. Total mess.

I don't think people realise the results don't come in until late Sunday at the earliest. Think several senior Tories have made this mistake too (amongst many others)

Annoying when that happens....

764, 765, 766 - then Dave bursts through the door with a kettle & asks if anyone wants a cup of tea? And I lose my train of thought.... 1, 2, 3....

Can see why the results take so long with our outdated methods! 👍

• @NewUser303261 I didn’t realise a win by 1.3m votes was narrow.

• @Ericali I wouldn't be against that if leaving and failing didn't have potential irreversible consequences for the county and more specifically for the poorer communities.

We know the electorate were not well informed, we know the leave campaign was not truthful, we know there is potentially illegal funding involved, we know that a referendum is not actually legally binding, we know the pound dropped after the result, we know various companies have pulled manufacturing from the UK, we know job losses are a reality.

I'd rather the public interest is the priority rather then a narrow result in an illegally campaigned and badly informed vote.

• @Timothee-Atouba in a country with the population of over 65 million yes it is extremely narrow.

• @Ericali well, it's because it's European-wide elections using Proportional Representation. Much fairer overall than the UK's FPTP system (which really is outdated).

• @NewUser303261 said in European Elections:

@Timothee-Atouba in a country with the population of over 65 million yes it is extremely narrow.

33 million turnout.

• I never voted either. Didn’t feel strongly either way.

• which is still a very narrow margine.

it also means less than 25% of the country voted for brexit in a poll that is not legally binding (unlike a general election) and that was campaigned illegally.

• @NewUser303261 What don’t any of you lot understand about the importance of delivering a public referendum in a supposedly democratic country. I’m glad the vast majority of the great, great people that fought for our rights, our liberty and once great country aren’t here to see this.

• @Ericali WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU DONE STARTING THIS THREAD.

ha ha ha

Think you might have ripped the forum in two.

• @NewUser303261 said in European Elections:

@Ericali I wouldn't be against that if leaving and failing didn't have potential irreversible consequences for the county and more specifically for the poorer communities.

We know the electorate were not well informed, we know the leave campaign was not truthful, we know there is potentially illegal funding involved, we know that a referendum is not actually legally binding, we know the pound dropped after the result, we know various companies have pulled manufacturing from the UK, we know job losses are a reality.

I'd rather the public interest is the priority rather then a narrow result in an illegally campaigned and badly informed vote.

That is so condescending! you're basically calling the "leave" electorate stupid. What about the remain electorate being "brainwashed" with doomsday scaremongering? 🤔

Irreversible consequences for the poorer communities? I think you will find it's the so-called poorer communities or working class people driving the need for change.

It may be rosy where you are but for many it's dire - and can't possibly be made any worse by leaving the EU.

The pound dropped & then recovered 👍(it does this all the time - it's a stock market!) it's the uncertainty which effects the pound much more than any result of the referendum.

There is more people in work now then there's ever been & if that's with the country voting for Brexit - long may it continue. 👍

• @Misto just like the country! 😉

• @Timothee-Atouba So honouring an illegal vote is more important than informing the electorate properly? And more important than protecting jobs? Those that have lost their jobs through moving manufacturing out of the UK shouldn't complain, I mean sure, they may not be able to pay their mortgage or provide for their family, but at least we honoured that illegally campaigned vote.

• @NewUser303261 the only thing illegal about it was having tagged criminals in parliament voting on it.

If I had a criminal record I would lose my job - somehow in parliament that isn't the case!

And who are you to decide the electorate wasn't informed properly? 🤔

The Gestapo?? SS??

• @NewUser303261 I’m not sure why all remainers have told themselves it was an illegal campaign and the issue regarding jobs and industry is all the uncertainty. Uncertainty breeds negativity.

• @Ericali said in European Elections:

If I had a criminal record I would lose my job - somehow in parliament that isn't the case!

Not quite. MPs just have to get a custodial sentence of a year or more.

Looks like your connection to Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.