Anyone here trade or used to trade financial stock markets?

• A lot of FI traders seem to be from a gambling background but don't often hear about financial stockmarket trader background even though it would make sense

• Agree however a lot of people who I have spoke to who have stock experience don’t seem to like that there is no valuation behind the players ( kind of like crypto ) the fact that it’s just a value unlike gold or copper where you are actually buying an asset in you understand what I am saying

• @jay an interesting point of view, not something I have ever heard before or agree with though. I think FI is different to anything else out there which is what makes it so interesting, however I wouldn't say it is anything like cryptocurrency. Obviously it is not backed by gold or copper but neither are shares in companies and people have no problem investing in those

• @TraderJ I agree with you hence why I put money on it’s just a point of view I hear a lot when speaking to people who trade a lot on the stock market. They seem to look on it in a bad light as if it’s a worse stock market but after all it is gambling and I’d rather stick £10 here than any other gambling site

• @TraderJ said in Anyone here trade or used to trade financial stock markets?:

@jay an interesting point of view, not something I have ever heard before or agree with though. I think FI is different to anything else out there which is what makes it so interesting, however I wouldn't say it is anything like cryptocurrency. Obviously it is not backed by gold or copper but neither are shares in companies and people have no problem investing in those

Yes but shares in a company give you a "share" of that company (i.e. in its physical and monetary assets) whereas on FI you are not buying into anything physical (you don't own a part of that player), so in that aspect it is alot more like crypto where you are speculating. Not that it has stopped me investing on here...
    Note I do also own stocks and shares.

Also, just like crypto, there is a lack of regulation and (potentially) client protection.

• Sounds like people are afraid of moving with the times.

You are buying a digital asset which returns dividend - I missed the crypto currency boom and I’m glad I haven’t missed this one 👍

FI shares are worth what people are willing to pay for them - just like precious metals. Difference is that as long as the dividend structure is in place, players on here are guaranteed to always have a value.

If gold were to suddenly go out of fashion (unlikely) then your £100,000 investment is now worthless and won’t be returning any dividends either.

• @jay agreed, I would say it is some sort of hybrid between gambling and investing but I think it is pretty fun and a good byproduct is making a little extra cash:)

• @Abaalan yeah you make some good points about not actually owning anything. But I guess it is hard to equate the index to anything really as of yet there is nothing similar, at least that I know of. Again I don't know too much about Crypto but it seems different to me, people invest in that in the hope that it will one day become widely used right? There is no dividends or anything that come along with it unlike on here

• @TraderJ yeah I like to think of it as smart gambling because with almost every player not including retired or retiring players on the index you know they will peak at one point in their career

• @TraderJ said in Anyone here trade or used to trade financial stock markets?:

@Abaalan yeah you make some good points about not actually owning anything. But I guess it is hard to equate the index to anything really as of yet there is nothing similar, at least that I know of. Again I don't know too much about Crypto but it seems different to me, people invest in that in the hope that it will one day become widely used right? There is no dividends or anything that come along with it unlike on here

It is a unique product. If I was to describe fi to someone I would say it was much more like a stock market as opposed to gambling. I like making money rather than losing it so would never put the kind of money I have on here into a gambling site!

Yes dividend are definitely one advantage fi has over crpyto. The only way to make money is by speculating that prices will increase (which may happen if it becomes a mainstream way to use currency).

• no trading stocks, did take a lucky punt on bitcoin couple years ago and made a few quid mind

• Interested to hear if anyone has moved from FI to stocks not the other way thinking of trying

• I think it's obvious there are many traders on FI who have no experience of the financial markets by the amount of anxiety and panic selling that goes on whenever theres the smallest correction in the market. Those that have financial markets experience will be having a much more relaxed time on FI, and I expect more profitable

• i doubt professional traders would tolerate upto 20% spreads and then sales comm on top,

• @Abaalan said in Anyone here trade or used to trade financial stock markets?:

@TraderJ said in Anyone here trade or used to trade financial stock markets?:

@jay an interesting point of view, not something I have ever heard before or agree with though. I think FI is different to anything else out there which is what makes it so interesting, however I wouldn't say it is anything like cryptocurrency. Obviously it is not backed by gold or copper but neither are shares in companies and people have no problem investing in those

Yes but shares in a company give you a "share" of that company (i.e. in its physical and monetary assets) whereas on FI you are not buying into anything physical (you don't own a part of that player), so in that aspect it is alot more like crypto where you are speculating. Not that it has stopped me investing on here...
    Note I do also own stocks and shares.

Also, just like crypto, there is a lack of regulation and (potentially) client protection.

You are buying a bet that the player will return dividends so there is a tangible value. The rational value of a player should be what you are projecting them to generate over their career.

From a rational point of view, the vast majority of players are astronomically over-priced. I think this would be where financial traders would be puzzled and wonder why. This would be the crypto-comparison.

@TraderJ said in Anyone here trade or used to trade financial stock markets?:

@Abaalan yeah you make some good points about not actually owning anything. But I guess it is hard to equate the index to anything really as of yet there is nothing similar, at least that I know of. Again I don't know too much about Crypto but it seems different to me, people invest in that in the hope that it will one day become widely used right? There is no dividends or anything that come along with it unlike on here

It is a unique product. If I was to describe fi to someone I would say it was much more like a stock market as opposed to gambling. I like making money rather than losing it so would never put the kind of money I have on here into a gambling site!

Yes dividend are definitely one advantage fi has over crpyto. The only way to make money is by speculating that prices will increase (which may happen if it becomes a mainstream way to use currency).

Football Index is basically the same as Betfair. Both platforms essentially are gambling platforms where you can trade the bets so essential 'play trader'. The only real difference is that FI betting is much longer term bets with the capacity for the goalposts to be changed (via increased dividends or so on).

• @mike778 I don't consider it to be a bet, you aren't betting on outcome X or y with a definite outcome. You aren't even betting on player X to score or assist, as it doesn't mean their value will necessarily increase. Even fantasy football is closer in that regard where you are picking players who you expect to score most points. That's not how Fi works in my opinion.... Although trying to explain what drives the market is equally tough!!

• @NewUser47628 they might for the ROI that can be on offer.

• @NewUser336689 said in Anyone here trade or used to trade financial stock markets?:

A lot of FI traders seem to be from a gambling background but don't often hear about financial stockmarket trader background even though it would make sense

I was trading stocks for nearly two years when I found FI last year August. The "Football Stock Market" was very appealing to me as I know a lot more about football than commercial property, the last fund I was trading in. I put most of the investment into FI, and about £1k into crypto currencies.

@mike778 I don't consider it to be a bet, you aren't betting on outcome X or y with a definite outcome. You aren't even betting on player X to score or assist, as it doesn't mean their value will necessarily increase. Even fantasy football is closer in that regard where you are picking players who you expect to score most points. That's not how Fi works in my opinion.... Although trying to explain what drives the market is equally tough!!

Regardless of whether or not you 'regard it as a bet', it is a bet that the player will win dividends. You can then sell the bet on if someone (including FI) wishes to buy it off you.

There are no grey areas here - its pretty clear what you get given when you pay your money. People may think their futures are something more than a bet but they really aren't.