How many active traders are there?

• I'm a new trader and I'm considering getting started on FI. Have to mention I'm a stock market (the real one) trader already and the idea of trading football players seriously excite me.

However, differently from the stock market, here's there's no underlying asset (I'm not buying a piece of the player, I'm betting on him).

Therefore, for me to feel a bit safer on the volume, can I know how many active traders are there on Football Index?

Thanks

• @NewUser366819 Heard on the FIG podcast last week they think it’s about 40k active.

• Just to add to this, FI are trebling their marketing budget so that number should increase .

• @matt4567 where did you hear this?

• 40k is just a complete wild guess, they're using data from other sites to make an estimated guess, it doesn't work like that, it's way more than 40k in my estimated guess 😁 340k registered, so 11.7% active, total garbage estimates.

• @Andy-M absolutely agree... he was using fantasy footy as a benchmark for christs sake! free to enter and loads of non football fans get cajoled into it at start of season as part of an office league etc and then never look at it again. FI is people putting their money in and that money is live until withdrawn... so a user can be regarded as 'active' without actually logging in or buying more shares, or using the forum etc for a long period of time.

• It was Sam F who gave the 40k figure on the pod this week, was some weeks ago FIG referred (incorrectly) to FPL. FPL tends to have around 40-45% active users at end of season.

You're right - active users is always going to be a bit of a guess . But I think 40k sounds about right and Sam is a smart bloke so happy to take his estimate (10-15% of total sign ups). Of course, there's going to be a big range of trading frequency across active accounts too.

EDIT: and to answer @NewUser366819 - it's not like the real stock market, just adapts that model for a gambling product with virtual assets. You're really investing in FI as a company in reality. Still lots of fun and the returns have been pretty eye-watering over the last few years.

• @NewUser366819
    yeh you don't actually own any of the player as you do when you own part of business and it stopped a couple my mates joining, however..
    Come on, owning a few shares in a business the size of apple means absolutely nothing really. They make it sound brilliant so you buy buy buy

• @Keegans-Bluff said in How many active traders are there?:

You're really investing in FI as a company in reality.

I think this is only true if you have a diverse portfolio - if you have 100% invested in Pogba and he moves to China, you're going to be very poor even if the investment total in FI balloons at the same time.

I'm on the diversified route, and my portfolio increases tend to mirror those of the FOOTIE, so I feel I have 'invested in the company' but it certainly isn't the case for all strategies on here.

• @kristiang85 sure, of course - you can put your money in a load of tosh, making bad bets that will lose you money. Meant more in the sense of the OP questioning what the underlying value of your investment in FI is.

• @Drogo90 it was mentioned recently and Adam Cole addressed it in the recent Q & A (summary here https://forums.footballindex.co.uk/topic/8764/adam-cole-q-a-summary)

• It’s essentially the same as spread betting, but without the leverage. However, the market isn’t mature so there isnt the liquidity for market sells and as such instant sell (7%. comms) is the only viable option if you want to get out of someone quick.

• There’s a post that has a chart of number of new accounts by day. It’s not exactly what you asked for, but will give you a good idea of the growth. It’s quite a strong growth line, and that’s great for us at the moment as you can basically throw a towel over the main teams main players and guarantee a reasonable growth over 6-12 months.

I’ve been on 10 months and it’s been consistent growth. The odd week here or there with a blip, but overall up up up.

I did some analysis a while back and all top three teams players average about 50-60% roi in a year. I’ll have to dig it out and update it.

Good luck

• I've been on 3 months. Only invested very small (£340) and have gone full 'Barry Fry' on it. Stakes in 73 players, max hold is 20 in Ruben Dias (average purchase of 70p) and PF + balance value is £426.50.

So, lets say, a total sell and withdrawal would be around the £400 mark. Stick a couple of zeroes on the end of those numbers and I'm sure some folk would be happy

I'm treating it as a little ISA for the kids, miles better interest and my spreadsheet looks mint. Get involved and enjoy.d👌

• @Jamie said in How many active traders are there?:

It’s essentially the same as spread betting, but without the leverage. However, the market isn’t mature so there isnt the liquidity for market sells and as such instant sell (7%. comms) is the only viable option if you want to get out of someone quick.

The commission is 2%, not 7%. Don't scare people, LOL.

• @Londoner

Yes, plus instant sell of 5% = 7%

• Average IS in the top 200 is around 3.5-4% I think, I certainly wouldn't IS for more than that in a spread unless it was a dire emergency.